LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Can we finally admit that this was a mistake?

No.
Originally posted by cciowa:
key word... legit. we can enjoy 6-0 and still have a legit concern with the wide outs.

Yes. Yes you can.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

No.
Why not
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

No.

i was heading that way then he did the grab vs pittsburgh and now i am going down that path again with him. my problem. not yours!
People wrote off AA and Ward early on, and look at them now? So you can't do the same to Pettis, he has ONE mental mistake, he's looked good the rest of the games, had the game winning TD in tight coverage vs Pittsburgh, had a couple nice catches vs Cleveland, had a couple nice catches vs LA, would have had a TD had he not been pushed out of bounds, and in Washington he was under thrown by Jimmy, and the deep pass was a bad read by Jimmy, and a good play by Troy Apke on the INT, nothing Pettis could have done.

No.
Why not

He's led the WRs in snap counts 3 straight weeks, for one. If you're going to forget about one guy, you darn sure better have somebody better to replace him first.

CAn We FiNaLly AdMit It wAs a MiZtAke

It's been 1.5 season since they drafted Pettis...

Originally posted by Heroism:

CAn We FiNaLly AdMit It wAs a MiZtAke

It's been 1.5 season since they drafted Pettis...

He made a good catch against the Steelers? Came back to the ball and snagged a TD to ice the game, rather than let it get intercepted or batted down.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

No.
Why not

He's led the WRs in snap counts 3 straight weeks, for one. If you're going to forget about one guy, you darn sure better have somebody better to replace him first.

Excellent point!! So lets go hard after Amari Cooper when the season ends and draft a WR in the 2020 draft. This is still a playoff team without consistent play at the WR spot. Lets admit what we have in Pettis - potential with flashes and nothing more. Potential with flashes get coaches fired. As I stated when we drafted him, I saw him as no better than a slot WR. Pettis WILL NEVER be a consistent outside WR. He's too soft and obviously not into getting into the gym. He has to be schemed open. And, post-draft we've learned that he lacks focus.

I admit, I NEVER wanted us to draft Pettis, I admit a particular bias. But didn't want us to draft for many of the reasons that we are seeing now. I had a 4th round draft grade on him, and to this point we've gotten nothing but 4th round production - we moved up in the 2nd to get him. As we speak the team is openly on the market for a WR. How can this not be anything other than an indictment against Pettis given the expectations?

I'd love nothing more than to have to eat BBQ crow on this. Above all I wanna see the 49ers do well. But I don't see it ever coming from Pettis, not more than what we've seen. I just don't.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
You guys are only talking about production then, you'd have to be blind to not see the talent we have. Just relax and enjoy the process. People are so damn impatient and greedy.

Yes, the conversation was about production.

No need to call us blind. I cant speak for the entire board, but you wont find a single post from me saying that these guys arent going to develop into special receivers. I think Deebo is a future #1. I am anxious to see Hurd get out there. Pettis I havent lost faith in. We have a lot of raw talent.

Its not about being patient or impatient. Its about discussing what is currently happening on the field. Which, in spite of the reasons you have laid out, is still happening.

Then respond to these ridiculous posts about trading Pettis for a 6th, cutting him, etc. Same with the other WR's we have. You love to defend yourself as "different" than the detractors but you never seem to disagree with them.

You guys are only talking about production then, you'd have to be blind to not see the talent we have. Just relax and enjoy the process. People are so damn impatient and greedy.

No need to call us blind. I cant speak for the entire board, but you wont find a single post from me saying that these guys arent going to develop into special receivers. I think Deebo is a future #1. I am anxious to see Hurd get out there. Pettis I havent lost faith in. We have a lot of raw talent.

Its not about being patient or impatient. Its about discussing what is currently happening on the field. Which, in spite of the reasons you have laid out, is still happening.

Then respond to these ridiculous posts about trading Pettis for a 6th, cutting him, etc. Same with the other WR's we have. You love to defend yourself as "different" than the detractors but you never seem to disagree with them.

I disagree with any post talking saying we should trade Pettis. In fact, I find it funny you call me out for not responding to posts like that, when I did on the very previous page.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

I disagree with any post talking saying we should trade Pettis. In fact, I find it funny you call me out for not responding to posts like that, when I did on the very previous page.

Didn't see that.

Didn't see that.

I like Pettis. I think eventually he could be a very good #2 WR in this league. But simply put, he isnt right now. And that doesnt mean I am or should be giving up on him.

I was concerned about giving up picks for Sanders, but there is no doubt our WR corps is better right now than when we started this conversation.
I like Pettis. I think eventually he could be a very good #2 WR in this league. But simply put, he isnt right now. And that doesnt mean I am or should be giving up on him.

I was concerned about giving up picks for Sanders, but there is no doubt our WR corps is better right now than when we started this conversation.
No, Pettis won't be simply given the #2 spot. The fact that we had top couch up future draft picks for a 32 year old WR on likely a one year rental speaks volumes about Pettis. Say what you will about Deebo but from what I can see on the field Jimmy G. appear to trust Deebo more than Pettis.

Mark my words, if Deebo is healthy enough to play he'll play over Pettis and will get more targets than Pettis. If Taylor plays he'll get the slot plays.
Trade this p***y.
Share 49ersWebzone