LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I hate this p***y

Did he rape you or something? Or you just have mental issues?

there are alot of posters here who make fun of people who are critical of the niners.. wonder where they are now with one of their guys saying s**t like this to a poster

They both got warnings.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Speed, good routes, ability to separate, good hands in clutch situations, and recognition of when to break off of certain routes to find an open spot.

Shanahan is putting the wide receivers and Jimmy G in complex situations that require all of them to read the defense quickly and make decisions. What were watching are the growing pains of that growth process. He's setting the team up for long-term success and multiple championships. No need to panic and give up valuable draft capital, when having 1 receiving threat with a large percentage of production isn't even a winning formula.

No one, including myself, disagrees with these being growing pains. But growing pains = inconsistent play. None of this that you wrote disproves my claim that CURRENTLY, this 49er WR corps is at or near the bottom of the NFL. I was talking about the present, which you tried to refute by speaking of the future. I dont disagree with anything you wrote about the future. But your posts have absolutely nothing to do with the now, which is what the conversation was about.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Speed, good routes, ability to separate, good hands in clutch situations, and recognition of when to break off of certain routes to find an open spot.

Shanahan is putting the wide receivers and Jimmy G in complex situations that require all of them to read the defense quickly and make decisions. What were watching are the growing pains of that growth process. He's setting the team up for long-term success and multiple championships. No need to panic and give up valuable draft capital, when having 1 receiving threat with a large percentage of production isn't even a winning formula.

No one, including myself, disagrees with these being growing pains. But growing pains = inconsistent play. None of this that you wrote disproves my claim that CURRENTLY, this 49er WR corps is at or near the bottom of the NFL. I was talking about the present, which you tried to refute by speaking of the future. I dont disagree with anything you wrote about the future. But your posts have absolutely nothing to do with the now, which is what the conversation was about.

Actually, Helmet, i agree with Furlow. Nice post Furlow. There is no question our WRs can play better. But with a very small percentage of targets, and complex routes...including reads...i agree. Still, the drops just kill us. Also, it looks like all WRs would benefit wth more time, maybe extra time spent 1 on 1 with Jimmy. A lot of this could just be too few repetitions, and no where near enough practice. Problem with that is time. JG has to spend time with entire O . But extracurricular practice with WRs, one at a time and Jimmy, might just improve the drops issue. Some of that is not being on the same page.

Admittedly that is the stuff for TC, PS, and so on. Right now it looks like QB and WRs who are not familiar with one another. OTOH, guys like Kittle, Au jus, Brieda, TT when healthy....they are on the same page with JG and it looks like it, too.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Oct 22, 2019 at 9:38 AM ]
Timing has a lot to do with the drops. When I say timing I mean Jimmy's timing and the receivers timing coming out of his route and being at the spot on time. They need more reps to really develop this to the point where it becomes routine. Watching Brady and some of the more experienced guys you can really see the difference. When Jimmy gets the confidence where he can throw to a spot and know his receivers will be there the passing game will look better. Receivers are still going to drop some passes. I see it happen in every game so it's not just our guys.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Timing has a lot to do with the drops. When I say timing I mean Jimmy's timing and the receivers timing coming out of his route and being at the spot on time. They need more reps to really develop this to the point where it becomes routine. Watching Brady and some of the more experienced guys you can really see the difference. When Jimmy gets the confidence where he can throw to a spot and know his receivers will be there the passing game will look better. Receivers are still going to drop some passes. I see it happen in every game so it's not just our guys.

maybe,. but seems to be we have had those issues more than other teams. or maybe its just i am an a*****e and do not care about other teams...
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Actually, Helmet, i agree with Furlow. Nice post Furlow. There is no question our WRs can play better. But with a very small percentage of targets, and complex routes...including reads...i agree. Still, the drops just kill us. Also, it looks like all WRs would benefit wth more time, maybe extra time spent 1 on 1 with Jimmy. A lot of this could just be too few repetitions, and no where near enough practice. Problem with that is time. JG has to spend time with entire O . But extracurricular practice with WRs, one at a time and Jimmy, might just improve the drops issue. Some of that is not being on the same page.

Admittedly that is the stuff for TC, PS, and so on. Right now it looks like QB and WRs who are not familiar with one another. OTOH, guys like Kittle, Au jus, Brieda, TT when healthy....they are on the same page with JG and it looks like it, too.

I think you are agreeing with both of us, because we arent talking about the same thing. I dont understand why your response to my post was "actually, I agree with Furlow" when I didnt disagree with that particular post either. I agree with his post. It just wasnt a good rebuttal to the topic.

There ARE reasons why our WRs are not producing at a high level right now. You and Furlow both illustrated the reasons why, and I dont disagree. Shannys system is complex. Our WRs are mostly young and learning. They are working on timing with Jimmy. They are not on the same page. I dont disagree with any of that. Its true.

What I disagree with is the fact that you guys are largely ignoring the current results, simply because there are explanations as to why they are happening. Our WRs are currently at or near the bottom of the NFL as a collective group. I, like you two, believe they will all improve. I believe that Shanny is setting them up to have long term success. But that doesnt change the fact that in the NOW, our receivers are leaving a lot to be desired.

So as I was saying, what they project to be in the future (which is Furlows argument), is not about the now, which was the topic.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Oct 22, 2019 at 10:00 AM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

You guys are only talking about production then, you'd have to be blind to not see the talent we have. Just relax and enjoy the process. People are so damn impatient and greedy.
You guys are only talking about production then, you'd have to be blind to not see the talent we have. Just relax and enjoy the process. People are so damn impatient and greedy.

Yes, the conversation was about production.

No need to call us blind. I cant speak for the entire board, but you wont find a single post from me saying that these guys arent going to develop into special receivers. I think Deebo is a future #1. I am anxious to see Hurd get out there. Pettis I havent lost faith in. We have a lot of raw talent.

Its not about being patient or impatient. Its about discussing what is currently happening on the field. Which, in spite of the reasons you have laid out, is still happening.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Oct 22, 2019 at 10:18 AM ]

maybe,. but seems to be we have had those issues more than other teams. or maybe its just i am an a*****e and do not care about other teams...

Like all of us. We all watch and care more about our teams and we forget that every team has most of the same issues like too many injuries or too many penalties. Every team seems to have at least one area of weakness. We see our team every play each week so we are way more aware of our problems.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Like all of us. We all watch and care more about our teams and we forget that every team has most of the same issues like too many injuries or too many penalties. Every team seems to have at least one area of weakness. We see our team every play each week so we are way more aware of our problems.

or it could be that i am just an a*****e

• cciowa
  • Veteran

No need to call us blind. I cant speak for the entire board, but you wont find a single post from me saying that these guys arent going to develop into special receivers. I think Deebo is a future #1. I am anxious to see Hurd get out there. Pettis I havent lost faith in. We have a lot of raw talent.

Its not about being patient or impatient. Its about discussing what is currently happening on the field. Which, in spite of the reasons you have laid out, is still happening.

and the fact that there is no sure bet a hurd will play this year. and there is no sure bet taylor will be a player when or if he plays this year

and the fact that there is no sure bet a hurd will play this year. and there is no sure bet taylor will be a player when or if he plays this year

Right. The topic was about the now. And in the now, our WRs leave a ton to be desired. Doesnt mean they wont be good or they wont develop into reliable players even as soon as later on this season. But right now we have:

Deebo: inconsistent and having drop issues
Goodwin: disappears at times
Hurd: may not play this season
Bourne: ok as a #4 who has made some plays this season
RJJ: Doesnt play much. Seems to make 1 big play everytime he gets snaps, but doesnt play much
Taylor: hurt and who knows what we will get out of him

That is the now. This could easily change later in the year, next year, the year after, etc. The raw talent is there.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Oct 22, 2019 at 10:32 AM ]

Right. The topic was about the now. And in the now, our WRs leave a ton to be desired. Doesnt mean they wont be good or they wont develop into reliable players even as soon as later on this season. But right now we have:

RJJ: Doesnt play much. Seems to make 1 big play everytime he gets snaps, but doesnt play much

That is the now. This could easily change later in the year, next year, the year after, etc. The raw talent is there.

Exactly.

Legit concerns:
Deebo: inconsistent, concentration, pace of picking up the offense and many soft tissue injuries
Goodwin: deep speed never used, tons of concussions, oft-injured
Hurd: oft-injured and style of play lends itself to more and raw
Bourne: meh in everything but good team guy, good blocker
RJJ: Kyle won't play him much, goes down on first contact
Taylor: oft-injured, no deep speed, one-dimensional
Pettis: weak mentality, not a dog, inconsistent, complacent
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 22, 2019 at 11:13 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Exactly.

Legit concerns:
Deebo: inconsistent, concentration, pace of picking up the offense and many soft tissue injuries
Goodwin: deep speed never used, tons of concussions, oft-injured
Hurd: oft-injured and style of play lends itself to more and raw
Bourne: men in everything but good team guy
RJJ: Kyle won't play him much, goes down in first contact
Taylor: oft-injured, no deep speed, one-dimensional
Pettis: weak mentality, not a dog, inconsistent, complacent

key word... legit. we can enjoy 6-0 and still have a legit concern with the wide outs.
Can we finally admit that this was a mistake?
Share 49ersWebzone