There are 131 users in the forums

49ers select WR Dante Pettis in 2nd round

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Watching this dudes highlights have me excited about what he can do in our offense with Jimmy G as his QB and Shanny as OC. His hands are good, his awareness seems solid and his hips are ridiculous. Great flexibility that lead to separation.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,883
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by fan49:
I don't think that Rascal realizes what Kyle Shanahan wants in a receiver. He appreciates guys that get open really quick and that can get a lot of y a c. Buy out running everybody and being elusive.

This.

It's not like because a wideout is 6'4 he is automatically a RZ beast.

Antonio Brown is 5'10 and has 59 career TD's.

Give me an explosive route runner all day over a 6'5 plodder.

Exactly. Brown, Hilton, Baldwin, OBJ, Hopkins, Hill, Cooks, all 6'1 or less. All elite WRs.

Hopefully he's our own Julio Jones. One thing you can rely on, Kyle Shanahan knows WR's and he'll get good ones anywhere in the draft or in the undrafted category.
Originally posted by LVJay:



I am not hating the pick, I am sure KS has seen miles of film on him, it is giving JG the tools that he needs to lead this team to the promise land
The trade up did throw me a bit but I am sure they had info that Pettis was on some other teams ' radar as well. However Pettis does need to hit the weight room and eat a few burgers but the 49ers should develop him nicely...Garcon, Goodwin and him should terrorize defensive backfields on third downs next season and our Special Teams just got a whole lot better
Originally posted by susweel:
Big time reach much better players were on the board. Smdh

+1
Hopefully this means we see a lot less of Trent Taylor now


  • Stud
  • Member
  • Posts: 5,264
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by fan49:
I don't think that Rascal realizes what Kyle Shanahan wants in a receiver. He appreciates guys that get open really quick and that can get a lot of y a c. Buy out running everybody and being elusive.

This.

It's not like because a wideout is 6'4 he is automatically a RZ beast.

Antonio Brown is 5'10 and has 59 career TD's.

Give me an explosive route runner all day over a 6'5 plodder.

This. Dante is a great pick. Hell most likely be our punt return guy too. Not sure why there are so many complaining lately no matter who we draft.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Hopefully this means we see a lot less of Trent Taylor now

I'm thinking he's an upgrade to McCaffery at #5 (punt returns tiebreaker), which is unfortunate 'cuz I like McC for his blood lines if nothing else.
Dont know why everyone is pegging him as a slot guy. He can play all the WR positions, the only reason the talking heads keep saying slot is because they see he is skinny and has punt return ability. They take things at face value without context. He might struggle with press coverage till he builds some strength... but I guess that makes us lucky we have a coach that can scheme anyone a free release. Just look at what Shanahan did with Goodwin who had similar knocks about beating press coverage up till he got here.

Trying to just jam a big bodied WR with poor routes or awareness into this offense for the sake of winning 50/50 balls is the same as trying to force Brown into being a great zone run blocker... just doesnt look right. And if there was a big bodied guy that had all those traits he'd be in the 1st round.

Looks like a pretty good player that can do it all. Will probably start next to Garcon.
I hope he gains like 10 lbs
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 773
Be prepared to see this guy being abused by Peters and Talib.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,883
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Dont know why everyone is pegging him as a slot guy. He can play all the WR positions, the only reason the talking heads keep saying slot is because they see he is skinny and has punt return ability. They take things at face value without context. He might struggle with press coverage till he builds some strength... but I guess that makes us lucky we have a coach that can scheme anyone a free release. Just look at what Shanahan did with Goodwin who had similar knocks about beating press coverage up till he got here.

Trying to just jam a big bodied WR with poor routes or awareness into this offense for the sake of winning 50/50 balls is the same as trying to force Brown into being a great zone run blocker... just doesnt look right. And if there was a big bodied guy that had all those traits he'd be in the 1st round.

Good Analysis!
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 17,897
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Dont know why everyone is pegging him as a slot guy. He can play all the WR positions, the only reason the talking heads keep saying slot is because they see he is skinny and has punt return ability. They take things at face value without context. He might struggle with press coverage till he builds some strength... but I guess that makes us lucky we have a coach that can scheme anyone a free release. Just look at what Shanahan did with Goodwin who had similar knocks about beating press coverage up till he got here.

Trying to just jam a big bodied WR with poor routes or awareness into this offense for the sake of winning 50/50 balls is the same as trying to force Brown into being a great zone run blocker... just doesnt look right. And if there was a big bodied guy that had all those traits he'd be in the 1st round.
Good points. If Pettis is a good route runner but struggles with release versus press, it can be schemed around. I think he adds RAC ability to the group and will line up anywhere on the field. Pettis said he was being brought out of the backfield in college.

About the offense needing a big red zone target for jumpballs, maybe that threat can come from a TE instead of WR.
Share 49erswebzone