LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 168 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
If Pettis is a healthy scratch this week, it tells you all you need to know about how Kyle feels about him. If he's active, he'll be here next year. I think the latter will happen, but we'll see.
Originally posted by Furlow:
It's actually not "plain and simple." He was injured and missed 4 games, only played 12. So the writer was projecting based on those 12 games, for comparison to other rookie WR's.

Not to mention, Hoov's point was historic Niners WR's. Which was to counter the point that Armstead and Ward "at least showed something" prior to this season. They did absolutely did NOT to Pettis' level last season.

To be fair, Ward's problem was injuries. He played well when he was in there but he just couldn't stay on the field. Pettis has had injuries too but there also seems to be a lack of fire with him. He'll need to make a huge comeback to get on the field next year with the strides Deebo and Bourne have made. Throw in Sanders hopefully being re-signed and maybe a draft pick and his work is cut out for him. I didn't mention Hurd because we still don't know what he will do against real competition.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Lot of talk for a dude that hardly plays
Originally posted by susweel:

These forums need a "like" button
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5thSFG:

If you're not interested you don't have to click on the thread.
Pettis is going to get the opportunity to add muscle in the off-season, and prove he can work to the standards set by Shanahan.

He has huge potential, and has been extremely disappointing, but a lot of WR's struggle early in their careers.

No need to give up yet.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Dec 13, 2019 at 2:42 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

He has huge potential, and has been extremely disappointing, but a lot of WR's struggle early in their careers.

No need to give up yet.

Did he not have that opportunity this year?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I thought maybe something happened to him like injury or IR.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Maybe he meant hysterical and not historical.

I thought maybe something happened to him like injury or IR.

LOL. He's in competition with Jordan Matthews on just being active on game day.

Originally posted by Dsoto87:

No need to give up yet.

Did he not have that opportunity this year?

Yes he did, but I'd say Kyle just is not impressed with his play, nor training results. Pettis is probably a couple/few days away from going from #5 to inactive on the waiting ta play list
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Pettis is going to get the opportunity to add muscle in the off-season, and prove he can work to the standards set by Shanahan.

No need to give up yet.

Work or the lack there of is his issue. You don't end up in the doghouse this bad unless you're lazy
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

No need to give up yet.

I'm with you on that. Hes been better than the *historically* bad pick in AJ Jenkins at least.
Originally posted by John_Candy:
If Pettis is a healthy scratch this week, it tells you all you need to know about how Kyle feels about him. If he's active, he'll be here next year. I think the latter will happen, but we'll see.

Interesting take. I like it.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by John_Candy:

Interesting take. I like it.

I like it too. I have been pretty disgusted with Pettis, but if Kyle keeps giving him chances he must be seeing something I don't. The staff loved Ward when I did not and they were eventually right, AA, same...but if he is a healthy scratch at this point? That would say volumes.
Share 49ersWebzone