LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Dude leads all receivers in snaps at 231.

9 catches.

83 yards.

Jesus that is pathetic.

Lmao you aint lying he needs to step his game up.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
I'd like to see him get on a weightlifting regimen. I think a few extra pounds of muscle would help his confidence and he'll go up for contested passes and keep his hands out longer and not retract while readying for contact.

Edit: this is assuming he doesn't lift cuz it certainly doesn't look like it.
[ Edited by TyCore on Oct 23, 2019 at 11:54 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

9 catches.

83 yards.

Jesus that is pathetic.

How often does he get open without the football coming his way? Every week we see examples of it in the film review.

Part of the issue with losing your two starting tackles is that evetything has to speed up in your pass game. The sorts of longer developing pass plays that would benefit outside receivers are mostly gone and now you're looking far more to your TEs and RBs in the passing game.

It helps to look at everything in context and as Staley and the rest return, with the addition of a guy like Sanders, opportunities will expand for both Pettis and Deebo.

i do not think losing two tackles is the reason why pettis is very underachieving this year. lots of excuses for this guy

9 catches.

83 yards.

Jesus that is pathetic.

I'd like to know how many of those snaps were run plays; those really shouldn't be counted (though obviously even if it's 100 pass plays those aren't great #s)
Originally posted by captveg:

9 catches.

83 yards.

Jesus that is pathetic.

I'd like to know how many of those snaps were run plays; those really shouldn't be counted (though obviously even if it's 100 pass plays those aren't great #s)

I'd guess quite a bit for all our receivers given the change in philosophy so far. But his overall PFF grade is 58.3 and that includes run blocking scores so...
I know Pettis is young, so in no way am I advocating anything other than being patient with him, but I simply dont understand why he isnt having success already. He runs GREAT routes, he has very good hands, and is quick. Those three things alone should allow him to have substantially more success than is having.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by littleken:
I think it will continue to be by committee. Sanders will play a lot of snaps, especially as he gets more and more comfortable with the scheme. Pettis, Samuels, Goodwin, and even James and Bourne will continue to compete for snaps until someone play well on a consistent basis.

Agreed.

If we are going to trade a 3rd for Sanders he better be more than just one of 5 guys running out there. Isn't he supposed to be the go to guy that we needed? Sanders wants the ball so he should be in there on every play unless he needs rest or it's a short yardage play.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I know Pettis is young, so in no way am I advocating anything other than being patient with him, but I simply dont understand why he isnt having success already. He runs GREAT routes, he has very good hands, and is quick. Those three things alone should allow him to have substantially more success than is having.

Did you see Jimmy's interception against Washington? Although the pass was inaccurate, Pettis just sat there waiting for the ball to come to him instead of attacking the ball. He's softer than baby s**t. What do you expect from a small special teams player at best. Wasn't his fault he was overdrafted.
How often does he get open without the football coming his way? Every week we see examples of it in the film review.

Part of the issue with losing your two starting tackles is that evetything has to speed up in your pass game. The sorts of longer developing pass plays that would benefit outside receivers are mostly gone and now you're looking far more to your TEs and RBs in the passing game.

It helps to look at everything in context and as Staley and the rest return, with the addition of a guy like Sanders, opportunities will expand for both Pettis and Deebo.

Good post and totally agree.
Originally posted by Scottie15:

Did you see Jimmy's interception against Washington? Although the pass was inaccurate, Pettis just sat there waiting for the ball to come to him instead of attacking the ball. He's softer than baby s**t. What do you expect from a small special teams player at best. Wasn't his fault he was overdrafted.

So tired of hearing people b***h about Pettis not attacking that ball. It was an awful pass. Jimmy stared down Pettis the whole time. In no way would any unbiased observer blame Pettis for that. Sure, he could have made a better effort, but that was in no way shape or form his fault.

• krizay
  • Veteran

So tired of hearing people b***h about Pettis not attacking that ball. It was an awful pass. Jimmy stared down Pettis the whole time. In no way would any unbiased observer blame Pettis for that. Sure, he could have made a better effort, but that was in no way shape or form his fault.

Exactly! He knew where and how bad he beat his man. He knew if he waited he had time to catch it. He was looking at theball tbe whole time and didnt know the safety was coming until the last second. No way for him to make a play on the ball at that time.

A better pass it's a TD
Originally posted by krizay:

Exactly! He knew where and how bad he beat his man. He knew if he waited he had time to catch it. He was looking at theball tbe whole time and didnt know the safety was coming until the last second. No way for him to make a play on the ball at that time.

A better pass it's a TD

I think Jimmy needed to look off that safety more. He read his eyes.
Pettis hasn't done anything good/great so far. Speed is good, but this is not just a race, there needs to be a spark.

Can things change in the future, I guess anything can happen, including him being avg.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

9 catches.

83 yards.

Jesus that is pathetic.

i do not think losing two tackles is the reason why pettis is very underachieving this year. lots of excuses for this guy

He's the new Solomon Thomas.
Share 49ersWebzone