LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
This team burned a 2nd, 3rd, 2020 3rd and 4th rounder for this guy.

If he would just do his job, then getting sanders would be a moot point.

Shhhhhh.

i am starting to forget he is on this team
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Dante is inconsistent but so was JR and TO early in their careers. I think having Sanders in the film room and out on the practice field with Deebo and Hurd will make the whole crew better. Sherm totally changed the vibe of our whole defense. This was a great move

You might want to check that again. Jerry Rice was a 1500 yard receiver in year 2. He had some rookie drop problems but was always a playmaker.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
You might want to check that again. Jerry Rice was a 1500 yard receiver in year 2. He had some rookie drop problems but was always a playmaker.

Davante Adams is a better comparison. In his 2nd year he was getting ripped hard by fans, even some teammates, had his intensity and desire questioned. He pulled it together.

Now Pettis has the perfect role model in Sanders to learn from. Hope he gets it together.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Davante Adams is a better comparison. In his 2nd year he was getting ripped hard by fans, even some teammates, had his intensity and desire questioned. He pulled it together.

Now Pettis has the perfect role model in Sanders to learn from. Hope he gets it together.

Fair comparison but Sanders is going to be replacing Pettis more so than training him. I think Pettis is the big loser in this move at least over the next 2 years.
Fair comparison but Sanders is going to be replacing Pettis more so than training him. I think Pettis is the big loser in this move at least over the next 2 years.

Assuming Sanders returns. For the next few months, Pettis better be taking copious notes.

Also I think Sanders is replacing Goodwin moreso than Pettis. Pettis will still get plenty of snaps.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
This team burned a 2nd, 3rd, 2020 3rd and 4th rounder for this guy.

If he would just do his job, then getting sanders would be a moot point.

I haven't given up on Pettis yet. He's immensely talented. It's just that we pinned so much hope on him and he clearly hasn't developed as quickly as we had hoped. Many receivers take time to develop and that's understandable. What is/was frustrating is he didn't put in the effort in the offseason to get physically stronger. Some things are within Dante's control and this is one of them.
Assuming Sanders returns. For the next few months, Pettis better be taking copious notes.

Also I think Sanders is replacing Goodwin moreso than Pettis. Pettis will still get plenty of snaps.

I'm sure he'll steal some snaps from Goodwin too but Sanders is great in the slot. We'd be fools to not take advantage of that with Goodwin spacing it out.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 23, 2019 at 10:41 AM ]
I think people are being overly critical of Dante honestly. It's still way too early in his career. We aren't even halfway through this season too. He's still a starter. He's blocking well, catching well when given the opportunity, and playing with great effort the past few weeks. That horrible throw on Sunday where Dante laid out into the mud was just one example.

In his first 16 games as a pro in the NFL, Dante Pettis had 33 catches for 505 yards (15.3 YPC AVG) and 6 TDs. Tack on the fact that he got hurt against the Chargers early in 2018, and barely played in Week 1 against Tampa due to the undisclosed injury, I have ZERO complaints with that level of per-game production in his first year of games, which is on par with what Terrell Owens produced in his first 16 games.

Yes, he needs to continue to get better, but the crucifixion of Pettis is asinine *this* early. The dude is a legit talent and needs time to put it together. Sure, there's always a chance he doesn't. But, it's massively premature to write him off this early.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 23, 2019 at 10:41 AM ]

I'm sure he'll steal some snaps from Goodwin too but Sanders is great in the slot, Goodwin too valuable as a deep threat to just play Pettis because he's a high pick.

I think it will continue to be by committee. Sanders will play a lot of snaps, especially as he gets more and more comfortable with the scheme. Pettis, Samuels, Goodwin, and even James and Bourne will continue to compete for snaps until someone play well on a consistent basis.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think people are being overly critical of Dante honestly. It's still way too early in his career. We aren't even halfway through this season too. He's still a starter. He's blocking well, catching well when given the opportunity, and playing with great effort the past few weeks. That horrible throw on Sunday where Dante laid out into the mud was just one example.

In his first 16 games as a pro in the NFL, Dante Pettis had 33 catches for 505 yards (15.3 YPC AVG) and 6 TDs. Tack on the fact that he got hurt against the Chargers early in 2018, and barely played in Week 1 against Tampa due to the undisclosed injury, I have ZERO complaints with that level of per-game production in his first year of games, which is on par with what Terrell Owens produced in his first 16 games.

Yes, he needs to continue to get better, but the crucifixion of Pettis is asinine *this* early. The dude is a legit talent and needs time to put it together. Sure, there's always a chance he doesn't. But, it's massively premature to write him off this early.

You're absolutely right I've been critical of him in the past but he's a young player. It just might take him a bit longer to adjust to the pro game.

Originally posted by littleken:
I think it will continue to be by committee. Sanders will play a lot of snaps, especially as he gets more and more comfortable with the scheme. Pettis, Samuels, Goodwin, and even James and Bourne will continue to compete for snaps until someone play well on a consistent basis.

Agreed.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

You're absolutely right I've been critical of him in the past but he's a young player. It just might take him a bit longer to adjust to the pro game.

We would all love for him to become a premier receiver, no doubt, but the team did right to hedge its bet on him. Deebo and Hurd are young, talented players too who could vault over him if they prove themselves more worthy over the same span. I think we're in good position going into the second half of the season to have the passing game open up a lot more when guys get healthy. Going forward into the future, let the best man win when it comes to the WR competition.
Dude leads all receivers in snaps at 231.

9 catches.

83 yards.

Jesus that is pathetic.
maybe we expected too much too soon from him.

The talent is definitely there.

Hopefully, KS's patience will pay off big time.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Dude leads all receivers in snaps at 231.

9 catches.

83 yards.

Jesus that is pathetic.

How often does he get open without the football coming his way? Every week we see examples of it in the film review.

Part of the issue with losing your two starting tackles is that evetything has to speed up in your pass game. The sorts of longer developing pass plays that would benefit outside receivers are mostly gone and now you're looking far more to your TEs and RBs in the passing game.

It helps to look at everything in context and as Staley and the rest return, with the addition of a guy like Sanders, opportunities will expand for both Pettis and Deebo.
Share 49ersWebzone