There are 115 users in the forums

49ers select WR Dante Pettis in 2nd round

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by GoldBrick:
1) Please show me where I've said anything negative about spoon or AA.

2) Do you really think a true #1 would have a trivial impact on our odds to bring home a 6th Lombardi?

I'm all for playing the long game, but dynasties are rare for a reason. Sometimes you gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Do I think someone will come available in the next week or so? Nah. Do I think the Niners will continue to make serious inquiries? You bet.

Because fans theorize that Atlanta is going to move Jones or LA Allen doesn't make it so. Those teams are bad but they aren't gonna give up on their guys. I don't see Emmanuel Sanders or Mohammad Sanu making any sort of real difference.

This team doesn't need a true #1. But it also doesn't need to trade for aging guys just to make a move. If they come cheap great but if not pass.

#1 Wr and CB are both supremely overrated by fans. Games are won and lost by qbs and the trenches. I want healthy lines more than anything else.
So far really disappointed in him. But hey we still have a lot of football left to be played.
cmon guys, he's only a second year WR. He did have that clutch catch against the steelers for a TD so I fully support him still. None of WRs are consistent anyways and it doesn't look like we are getting anyone new anytime soon
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Godwin is a stud, but this is pathetic.

to be fair, bucs havn't had the luxury of running the clock out with a lead and great defense.

You beat me to it. Context matters immensely with a statistical analysis. Unless all you care about is fantasy football rankings, which appears to be the case with some Niner "fans" in here.

LOL. Are you physically able to come up with a post that doesnt include ripping fantasy football?

Yes, obviously there is a reason for the numbers. We will be dead last in pass attempts after tonight's game. That is a huge part of the reason our WR stats are so pathetically low. We have been blowing teams out.

But that has nothing, yes NOTHING, to do with evaluating our WRs. I wouldnt even need to look at the stats to know that we have one of the worst WR corps in football currently. But fantasy football right?

Interesting that my posts make you feel a certain type of way, isn't it?

Nah just curious if you have other material.

Simpleton arguments only require simple counter arguments.

So do you believe our WR corps is fine? That they do not collectively make up one of the worst units in the NFL?

Yes they're "fine." Extremely talented actually. Better than any of the Patriots Super Bowl winning seasons, for sure. I mean, if winning Super Bowls is what you care about.

That talent definitely isnt showing up on the field.

It is if you know what to watch for and aren't so focused on the stat line.

What are you seeing exactly?

Speed, good routes, ability to separate, good hands in clutch situations, and recognition of when to break off of certain routes to find an open spot.

Shanahan is putting the wide receivers and Jimmy G in complex situations that require all of them to read the defense quickly and make decisions. What were watching are the growing pains of that growth process. He's setting the team up for long-term success and multiple championships. No need to panic and give up valuable draft capital, when having 1 receiving threat with a large percentage of production isn't even a winning formula.

Yeah, I am unsure at this point. Jimmy G has less than a season of starts, is coming back from knee surgery and a long time off, is learning the O with the young receivers. They have been wise in riding the defense.
I hope they stand pat, I think the offense could start really humming in the last 4-5 games.
Originally posted by GoldBrick:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by GoldBrick:
Yeah. It would be awful if jimmy had to rely on 2 playmakers.

Would also be awful to keep giving chances to already decided mediocrity like Arik Armstead or Ahkello Witherspoon.

1) Please show me where I've said anything negative about spoon or AA.

2) Do you really think a true #1 would have a trivial impact on our odds to bring home a 6th Lombardi?

I'm all for playing the long game, but dynasties are rare for a reason. Sometimes you gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Do I think someone will come available in the next week or so? Nah. Do I think the Niners will continue to make serious inquiries? You bet.
This is exactly what I don't get. We don't even have to go far back to see what it's like to think you have the start of "dynasty" only for it to come crumbling down. All we have to do is look at the harbaugh years. Everyone thought it would be the start of something special and look how fast that turned to s**t.

My point is, we have a window right now. What happens if Bosa gets injured and Ford's knee flares up and the defense can no longer carry us? A few injuries, a retirement here, a suspension there, and we're back to the bottom. So strike while we're hot.

I'm not saying lets throw every pick at a receiver, but I do think we need to find a happy medium between what the Rams are doing and what draft pick hoarder Baalke was doing.

It was always nice having 13 picks in the draft but it didn't matter if we kept missing on them. So why not get a known commodity?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Yeah, I am unsure at this point. Jimmy G has less than a season of starts, is coming back from knee surgery and a long time off, is learning the O with the young receivers. They have been wise in riding the defense.
I hope they stand pat, I think the offense could start really humming in the last 4-5 games.

Me too,there are WAY too many CATS on here that just HATE Dante,and they REALLY have no foundational eveidence to want Dante Cut .I`m so glad that Mike Shanny sees different.Dante has`nt truly played a full 16 games and yet you Cats can`t wait to get rid of him, don`t know maybe you Cats got butt hurt because the 9ers didn`t draft your draft-crush.and Mod English don`t ban me for this I`m just like others on here stating my opinion.I see a lot of unwarranted bashing of DP,You can tell when a pick is unpopular, ask MMiacco even he joins in about the int Jimmy G threw at the redskins.JimmyG didn`t see the safety because he was Too busy stirring down the WR as usual.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Godwin is a stud, but this is pathetic.

to be fair, bucs havn't had the luxury of running the clock out with a lead and great defense.

You beat me to it. Context matters immensely with a statistical analysis. Unless all you care about is fantasy football rankings, which appears to be the case with some Niner "fans" in here.

LOL. Are you physically able to come up with a post that doesnt include ripping fantasy football?

Yes, obviously there is a reason for the numbers. We will be dead last in pass attempts after tonight's game. That is a huge part of the reason our WR stats are so pathetically low. We have been blowing teams out.

But that has nothing, yes NOTHING, to do with evaluating our WRs. I wouldnt even need to look at the stats to know that we have one of the worst WR corps in football currently. But fantasy football right?

Interesting that my posts make you feel a certain type of way, isn't it?

Nah just curious if you have other material.

Simpleton arguments only require simple counter arguments.

So do you believe our WR corps is fine? That they do not collectively make up one of the worst units in the NFL?

Yes they're "fine." Extremely talented actually. Better than any of the Patriots Super Bowl winning seasons, for sure. I mean, if winning Super Bowls is what you care about.

That talent definitely isnt showing up on the field.

It is if you know what to watch for and aren't so focused on the stat line.

What are you seeing exactly?

Speed, good routes, ability to separate, good hands in clutch situations, and recognition of when to break off of certain routes to find an open spot.

Shanahan is putting the wide receivers and Jimmy G in complex situations that require all of them to read the defense quickly and make decisions. What were watching are the growing pains of that growth process. He's setting the team up for long-term success and multiple championships. No need to panic and give up valuable draft capital, when having 1 receiving threat with a large percentage of production isn't even a winning formula.

Yeah, I am unsure at this point. Jimmy G has less than a season of starts, is coming back from knee surgery and a long time off, is learning the O with the young receivers. They have been wise in riding the defense.
I hope they stand pat, I think the offense could start really humming in the last 4-5 games.

I agree with you. The defense is ready for a championship run. Keep them off the field and fresh/healthy. The running game is electric and in December/January it's going to be crucial. 10 more games for JG and the receivers to figure this out and build some chemistry. Get Juice and our starting OT's back and we're good!
So, this is going a few weeks back but... Everyone was praising him making that grab in the end zone even though it was out of bounds, but to me I was like this guy needs to be more aware. I say that because he caught it thinking he was in bounds like what???? He even celebrated like he scored the td in bounds... I'm sure they're taught as receivers to know where they are and work on toe taps in the red zone. Thats one thing that just surprised me, but theres still 10 more games left to play to improve and fix all these problems.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
This is exactly what I don't get. We don't even have to go far back to see what it's like to think you have the start of "dynasty" only for it to come crumbling down. All we have to do is look at the harbaugh years. Everyone thought it would be the start of something special and look how fast that turned to s**t.

My point is, we have a window right now. What happens if Bosa gets injured and Ford's knee flares up and the defense can no longer carry us? A few injuries, a retirement here, a suspension there, and we're back to the bottom. So strike while we're hot.

I'm not saying lets throw every pick at a receiver, but I do think we need to find a happy medium between what the Rams are doing and what draft pick hoarder Baalke was doing.

It was always nice having 13 picks in the draft but it didn't matter if we kept missing on them. So why not get a known commodity?

Yes! Think about it we would have traded anything during the Harbaugh years to just get one Super Bowl instead we had a lot of people saying oh we're OK without a receiver because we have an elite defense and running game we could win it well we didn't. And look at where it's gotten us. We cannot have a repeat of this especially since we have an elite defense and a great running game. We are in the same situation even though we have a better head coach and quarterback we will be facing good defenses in the playoffs and we need a receiver that's consistent. Just trade for the motherf**ker.

For all of you that don't want to, think about it? If we are drafting in the high 20s Or better yet 32 Its worth it. If we trade a third rounder that's going to be close to pick number 100 and odds are we won't find that good at receiver at pick 100 for let's say Emmanuel Sanders or AJ Green or whoever. Isn't that worth a probable Super Bowl? It's a no brainer
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 22, 2019 at 3:46 AM ]
Originally posted by Scottie15:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
You throw to multiple receivers. I don't see the problem with bringing in a #1 when it's Goodwin who'd get axed not Deebo or Pettis. One of those guys may get their playing time cut but the idea that they should all be handed the opportunities of playing time as second round picks. Meh.

But it's not a move I'd force. If the right guy comes, at the right price yeah go for it. The better receiver between Deebo/ Pettis will be fine.

Deebo gets 4 targets a game and Pettis and Goodwin get 3 targets a game. The problem with bringing in a guys used to high volume is he will have to accept his new role, or Kyle will feel pressure to force targets his way.


No evidence to support this argument whatsoever.

This is a straw man I've ever seen one.

That's not what a strawman argument is, even though it is pure conjecture.

Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
It's pretty safe to say that up to this point, pettis has been a massive disappointment for Kyle. Kyle was expecting a star when he picked pettis.

It not safe to ASSUME anything. Kyle probably knows how to develop receivers, and he likes Pettis.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Godwin is a stud, but this is pathetic.

to be fair, bucs havn't had the luxury of running the clock out with a lead and great defense.

You beat me to it. Context matters immensely with a statistical analysis. Unless all you care about is fantasy football rankings, which appears to be the case with some Niner "fans" in here.

LOL. Are you physically able to come up with a post that doesnt include ripping fantasy football?

Yes, obviously there is a reason for the numbers. We will be dead last in pass attempts after tonight's game. That is a huge part of the reason our WR stats are so pathetically low. We have been blowing teams out.

But that has nothing, yes NOTHING, to do with evaluating our WRs. I wouldnt even need to look at the stats to know that we have one of the worst WR corps in football currently. But fantasy football right?

Interesting that my posts make you feel a certain type of way, isn't it?

Nah just curious if you have other material.

Same could be asked of you.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Yeah, I am unsure at this point. Jimmy G has less than a season of starts, is coming back from knee surgery and a long time off, is learning the O with the young receivers. They have been wise in riding the defense.
I hope they stand pat, I think the offense could start really humming in the last 4-5 games.

Me too,there are WAY too many CATS on here that just HATE Dante,and they REALLY have no foundational eveidence to want Dante Cut .I`m so glad that Mike Shanny sees different.Dante has`nt truly played a full 16 games and yet you Cats can`t wait to get rid of him, don`t know maybe you Cats got butt hurt because the 9ers didn`t draft your draft-crush.and Mod English don`t ban me for this I`m just like others on here stating my opinion.I see a lot of unwarranted bashing of DP,You can tell when a pick is unpopular, ask MMiacco even he joins in about the int Jimmy G threw at the redskins.JimmyG didn`t see the safety because he was Too busy stirring down the WR as usual.

I don't want to see anyone cut. Pettis, though, has a long was to go to prove he is worth his place. I am looking for a wideout to develop who can be, like Kittle, a go-to guy.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Yes! Think about it we would have traded anything during the Harbaugh years to just get one Super Bowl instead we had a lot of people saying oh we're OK without a receiver because we have an elite defense and running game we could win it well we didn't. And look at where it's gotten us. We cannot have a repeat of this especially since we have an elite defense and a great running game. We are in the same situation even though we have a better head coach and quarterback we will be facing good defenses in the playoffs and we need a receiver that's consistent. Just trade for the motherf**ker.

For all of you that don't want to, think about it? If we are drafting in the high 20s Or better yet 32 Its worth it. If we trade a third rounder that's going to be close to pick number 100 and odds are we won't find that good at receiver at pick 100 for let's say Emmanuel Sanders or AJ Green or whoever. Isn't that worth a probable Super Bowl? It's a no brainer

We didn't lose the superbowl because of our offensive players. We lost because of our secondary and our retarded coach.
People actin more like whiny millenials than Dante up in this thread. Sometimes players take a little time to develop. He's played 18 career games, calm your tits.
Share 49erswebzone