LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jonnydel:
For those saying yoo small for the outside - T.Y. Hilton is 3 inches shorter and 3 lbs lighter. While not prototypical, not impossible. Ridley, only had like 7 lbs on him.

Originally posted by Rascal:
This. 6'1" at 186 lbs is concentration camp material. That is essentially skin and bones with zero power.

What we needed was a dominant WR in the red zone, a prototypical 6'4", 6'5", 215 lbs, 220 lbs type guy who can create match-up nightmare whereby teams will have to double-team him to stand half a chance in containing him.

And what do we have now? A stick man.

I mean I appreciate they went WR to show the consideration for the position was there, but hell the final player choice was just terrible unfortunately.

Couldn't have more opposite back-to-back posts, lol
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
if Calvin Ridley is an A, this guy is his B+ mini me... looking forward to Kyle splainin this one and why the move up

I didn't think he was the best receiver on the board when he was picked. But just maybe just maybe the guys that get paid to do this know that he was. And I don't think they would have traded up to get him if they didn't think somebody was going to get to him before them. My guess is that every team had him ranked higher than you did or Kuiper did or Daniel Jeremiah did
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I mentioned this in the draft forum but just like McGlinchey had the highest Wonderlic score at tackle, Pettis had the highest Wonderlic score at WR.

I wonder if that is something that carries more weight in their overhauled evaluation metrics.

Wow thats an interesting denominator for all our picks so far. I like this pick because I trust Shanny's WR talent evaluation. He must see this kid as a steal at that pick.
Remember when Goodwin was an overpaid FA pick up or that Taylor was a nobody who 9ers kept over Kerley.

KS has the runs on the board picking wr's.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
For those saying yoo small for the outside - T.Y. Hilton is 3 inches shorter and 3 lbs lighter. While not prototypical, not impossible. Ridley, only had like 7 lbs on him.

This. 6'1" at 186 lbs is concentration camp material. That is essentially skin and bones with zero power.

What we needed was a dominant WR in the red zone, a prototypical 6'4", 6'5", 215 lbs, 220 lbs type guy who can create match-up nightmare whereby teams will have to double-team him to stand half a chance in containing him.

I mean I appreciate they went WR to show the consideration for the position was there, but hell the final player choice was just terrible unfortunately.

I don't think that Rascal realizes what Kyle Shanahan wants in a receiver. He appreciates guys that get open really quick and that can get a lot of y a c. Buy out running everybody and being elusive.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4thandlong:
Remember when Goodwin was an overpaid FA pick up or that Taylor was a nobody who 9ers kept over Kerley.

KS has the runs on the board picking wr's.

Trust in Shanny.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
http://bleacherreport.com/post/san-francisco-49ers/42cb086c-64f5-4b11-85d6-c64d0828377d

This is a perfect description of why he was drafted. And one thing I pointed out earlier is maybe one of the reasons he didn't get drafted in the first round was his quarterback. If he would have been on the team with one of the better quarterbacks I'm pretty sure he would have gone in the first round. And he said he's run a 4-3. And if you participated in the combine and did that no doubt about it he'd be a first-round pick
Didn't think they needed to move up love the pick good fit
Its important to consider the sort of WR's that Kyle tends to favor, the qualities he looks for in them. Those receivers look a lot more like Pettis than they do some 6'4", 220 monster that turns like a boat.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by captveg:

I don't think that Rascal realizes what Kyle Shanahan wants in a receiver. He appreciates guys that get open really quick and that can get a lot of y a c. Buy out running everybody and being elusive.

So, big WRs can't get open?

Weren't Julio Jones (6'3" 220 lbs) and Mohamed Sanu (6'2" 210 lbs) Kyle Shanahan's WRs??

• pd24
  • Veteran
So, big WRs can't get open?

Weren't Julio Jones (6'3" 220 lbs) and Mohamed Sanu (6'2" 210 lbs) Kyle Shanahan's WRs??

Julio Jones is a special top 5 talent. Shanahan wouldn't have drafted Sanu.
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:
I mentioned this in the draft forum but just like McGlinchey had the highest Wonderlic score at tackle, Pettis had the highest Wonderlic score at WR.

I wonder if that is something that carries more weight in their overhauled evaluation metrics.

Wow thats an interesting denominator for all our picks so far. I like this pick because I trust Shanny's WR talent evaluation. He must see this kid as a steal at that pick.
What about Foster? Was his Wonderlic even a positive number?
Sure I think shanny has the right to pick a draft crush. Probly will be a good player. But, we have lots of needs not being met. Seemingly higher than a plesant add to our wr corps.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:

What about Foster? Was his Wonderlic even a positive number?

Originally posted by fan49:

This.

It's not like because a wideout is 6'4 he is automatically a RZ beast.

Antonio Brown is 5'10 and has 59 career TD's.

Give me an explosive route runner all day over a 6'5 plodder.
Share 49ersWebzone