There are 287 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Probably better if Pettis primarily plays Z since it has been reported that he has had difficulty with physical coverage. The way he runs routes, Pettis needs that space.

That's the X I believe. Weak side...opposite side of the TE, extra space to work with.

What? All these years I thought X was always the bigger stronger WR and Z was always the faster one. Mainly because there's no TE on the X (weak side) so you need a stronger blocker WR.

It's funny because your original post makes it sound like you want him at Z(in terms of giving him extra space) but X is the WR on the weak side.
It's not about big, strong, or fast. Generally, you want your X to be the WR that can win 1v1 against a CB, and command safety help. The X shouldn't need "help" from route combinations to get open, he gets open through route running, size, and/or speed - doesn't matter how, just get open "on your own".

Desean Jackson comes to mind. He doesn't win by size or particularly crisp route running, but he certainly demands safety help over the top to rotate to his side. It creates the space for the others.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Aug 14, 2019 at 10:00 AM ]
Why are people needing him to be so physical, like Samuel or Hurd? When the Rams had Isaac Bruce and T Holt they were exceptional even if they weren't physical. You don't see us ripping on Samuel and Hurd because they can't break ankles or dust people?

It's unbelievable how some of these fans have one track minds, you are wrong to think we need Pettis to be really physical. He is great at what he does and the other receivers are great at what they do. They don't all have to be physical receivers. If that was the case and we had a Crabtree or Anquan Bolden, we would be b***hing that we could not take the top off of a defense and probably lose some games because of that. This shortsightedness has got to stop.There are plenty of top-notch receivers that are not physical (past and present )at all look at the Rams receivers look at Randy moss, OBJ, even players that are good like Lockett ty hilton, I could name at least 10 more so please stop b***hing that one of our receivers is not as physical as you'd like him to be.
[ Edited by elguapo on Aug 14, 2019 at 10:06 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
Why are people needing him to be so physical, like Samuel or Hurd? When the Rams had Isaac Bruce and T Holt they were exceptional even if they weren't physical. You don't see us ripping on Samuel and Hurd because they can't break ankles or dust people?

It's unbelievable how some of these fans have one track minds, you are wrong to think we need Pettis to be really physical. He is great at what he does and the other receivers are great at what they do. They don't all have to be physical receivers. If that was the case and we had a Crabtree or Anquan Bolden, we would be b***hing that we could not take the top off of a defense and probably lose some games because of that. This shortsightedness has got to stop.There are plenty of top-notch receivers that are not physical at all look at the Rams receivers look at Randy moss, OBJ, even players that are good like Lockett ty hilton, I could name at least 10 more so please stop b***hing that one of our receivers is not as physical as you'd like him to be.

I don't think anyone really needs it, they just perceive the want from the coaches and respond in kind. I honestly don't mind if he stays a finesse guy and is a burner. It brings something to the table the others don't really have. Deebo is fast but he is compact, Taylor is quick in small spaces. Goodwin is straight line speed and Hurd is really the only one with the prototypical number one receiver build for high pointing the ball and muscling people away. There is a place for a guy who is one cut and gone, or can thread through traffic to pop out just behind coverage. As long as he stays elusive there is spot here for that.
Probably better if Pettis primarily plays Z since it has been reported that he has had difficulty with physical coverage. The way he runs routes, Pettis needs that space.

That's the X I believe. Weak side...opposite side of the TE, extra space to work with.

What? All these years I thought X was always the bigger stronger WR and Z was always the faster one. Mainly because there's no TE on the X (weak side) so you need a stronger blocker WR.

It's funny because your original post makes it sound like you want him at Z(in terms of giving him extra space) but X is the WR on the weak side.
It's not about big, strong, or fast. Generally, you want your X to be the WR that can win 1v1 against a CB, and command safety help. The X shouldn't need "help" from route combinations to get open, he gets open through route running, size, and/or speed - doesn't matter how, just get open "on your own".

Right, i was reading his comment in terms of wanting to give Pettis more room to avoid jams and guys getting physical with him which I would think Z is the spot he was describing.
  • thl408

Right, i was reading his comment in terms of wanting to give Pettis more room to avoid jams and guys getting physical with him which I would think Z is the spot he was describing.
Getting off the line wasn't his weakness from what I remember. He has good releases off the line. What I remember from his rookie season, he struggled when CBs got their hands on him at the top of the route, where a ref should be calling illegal contact but don't. The really good WRs are able to work through that.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I don't think anyone really needs it, they just perceive the want from the coaches and respond in kind. I honestly don't mind if he stays a finesse guy and is a burner. It brings something to the table the others don't really have. Deebo is fast but he is compact, Taylor is quick in small spaces. Goodwin is straight line speed and Hurd is really the only one with the prototypical number one receiver build for high pointing the ball and muscling people away. There is a place for a guy who is one cut and gone, or can thread through traffic to pop out just behind coverage. As long as he stays elusive there is spot here for that.

I completely agree. It seems like people value physicality over getting open. I don't know if some of these people realize that Pettis had the most yards after catch as well as the most separation in the league per route run. Unbelievable the complaining. I would love to have a guy like Dante Pettis and I am so happy we have him.
  • thl408

Same route. Look how Hurd struggled so mightily to create separation that he was forced to push off and make a tough catch whereas Pettis cheats himself out of an opportunity to make a contested catch because he juked the CB out of his shoes.

Same route. Look how Hurd struggled so mightily to create separation that he was forced to push off and make a tough catch whereas Pettis cheats himself out of an opportunity to make a contested catch because he juked the CB out of his shoes.

found out he beat tyvis powell ..... didn't we just cut that dude a few weeks ago lol ... any hoo hurd is still going to be a beast ... along with pettis ... along with deebo. we'll call them thunder (hurd), explosion (deebo), and smooth operator (pettis)... go niners
Originally posted by swaccmac1:

found out he beat tyvis powell ..... didn't we just cut that dude a few weeks ago lol ... any hoo hurd is still going to be a beast ... along with pettis ... along with deebo. we'll call them thunder (hurd), explosion (deebo), and smooth operator (pettis)... go niners

The 3 El Gatos???

Pettis is gonna be a stud this year

Originally posted by 9moon:
USE him where he's comfy.. she can be a playmaker..

This comment says a lot more about you than it does Pettis.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
From Barrows' Mailbag:

Linda asks via Twitter: Do you think Dante Pettis has regressed? And if so, why? I remember last camp we were hearing every day how he was getting open against almost everybody he faced. This year, haven't been hearing the same from practice reports.

No, Pettis definitely hasn't regressed. In fact, he's better than he was last year at this time because he knows the system so much better. But Kyle Shanahan clearly wants him to make a more significant leap forward. All of the coach's comments in recent weeks in which he attempts to a light a fire beneath the receiver group appear to point to one in particular: Pettis.

That's not a slam against him. Shanahan feels Pettis is talented enough to be a great receiver and wants to put pressure on him to reach that status. That's also why Richard Sherman pushes Pettis in practice.

"I know what he's capable of," Sherman said. "If he wasn't capable of being incredibly successful and being a great player — a No. 1 receiver — in this league, then who am I to try to pull something impossible out of him? But he's definitely capable. He's beyond capable. He's incredibly talented."

As of now, the 49ers have two receivers who play with an element of — there's no great word for it — ferocity. They are Trent Taylor and Jalen Hurd. (Deebo Samuel might have it, too.) I think the team would love to see that trait show up more often in Pettis' game. He runs fantastic routes and has an ability to shake defenders that no other 49ers receiver has. But he hasn't separated himself from the other receivers so far this summer.

Even before the 49ers discovered Taylor's foot injury, the 49ers planned to sit him and Marquise Goodwin in last Saturday's preseason opener because the team knows exactly what they have in them. Pettis, however, was one of the few high-status players who played. Why?

The 49ers are trying to guard against the sophomore slump that hit Ahkello Witherspoon and Adrian Colbert at the start of last season. Those players were virtually handed starting roles because there wasn't much competition in training camp. The team doesn't want Pettis to get too content, too comfortable.

"I wanted him to compete," Shanahan said. "We're trying to see who our starting receivers are and I wanted to get him a chance to get out there. … Dante has a lot of room to grow. He can still get a lot better. So can a lot of the other guys.

The real reason Shanahan is being so hard on Pettis is that he knows that Pettis is the only WR that we have that is actually worth a damn. The only way this offense becomes a top 5-10 offense this year is if Pettis reaches his potential. No other WR on the team can do what he can do. The other WRs are either too raw, inept, or too limited or are only situationally useful.

bUt PeTtIs HaS ReGrEsSeD

Lol just like Kittle is a mess-up because the coach told him not to mess up that play.

These guys are very talented. KS is trying to keep them humble as they shine.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by 9moon:
USE him where he's comfy.. she can be a playmaker..

This comment says a lot more about you than it does Pettis.
[ Edited by Wagga49er on Aug 15, 2019 at 2:31 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
Why are people needing him to be so physical, like Samuel or Hurd?

Who's saying that?
LOL. El Gato jumped off the plane and headed straight to the zoo.

Having fun with him Hoov.

[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 15, 2019 at 4:03 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone