There are 236 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Everyone is different. I just hope he doesn't lose Pettis with this type of tactic. But he would know better than I. It is funny that Pettis seems to constantly get dogged by Shanny yet a guy like Ward is penciled in as a starter, despite seemingly never playing. I get that all players are not treated the same, and hopefully this way intimately works.

For real. Life's biggest mystery.

ward prolly has some dirt on Kyle and John.
Originally posted by dlance:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I get it. They know deep down he's a fantastic talent, but they don't want him to have a sophomore slump. I don't know that they really expect Pettis to be like Terrell Owens, but I think maybe they don't feel his intensity on the practice field is as high as others. Wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. Pettis seems like the type of player than gets bored of practice because he knows he can beat everyone there already. On the flip side, he also seems like the type to just ball out in actual games when it's the real deal because that's where the real excitement is.

To sum up my thoughts: Pettis knows he's good. His coaches and teammates know he's good. But I completely understand their desire to keep him ahead of the curve so he gets to a level where the league can no longer do anything to "catch up" with him, but rather they just have to deal with all the ways Pettis knows how to beat them then. I think the team and coaches believe he has superstar talent and reading between the lines, it seems ever apparent to me, the team -- for good reason -- wants Pettis to try to sharpen every possible tool in the toolkit so that he gets to the point where virtually no one can stop him.

I agree with you That Pettis is a great talent. Where I think he get himself in trouble is his "get off my back man I know what I'm doing" attitude, he some times has. So what I play fortnite for 4 hr a night I work hard all day get off my back man ! I'm not sure what you meant with Terrell Owens he's not anything like Owens. Owens was bigger and Love contacted. I think Pettis Is more in the lines of Chad Johnson don't touch me type WR. Both can be great just different in the way they play. I want him to do well and this year will tell allot about him. We will not know anything till the year starts. He's going to be a starter. If he is not it's all because of attitude and work ethic. There are things he did last year that just begged me. Some of those move got him wide open but late into the route. That's why I think the QB would say stuff like he runs routes different then anyone I have seen or something like that. He was getting better at the end of last year, so I hope he can keep it up. I want him to do well. I want the team to win.

Take another look at my post, I said I don't know that they expect Pettis to be like Owens -- phrased differently that means "I honestly don't believe they expect him to be like Owens because they are obviously completely different players." There's no disagreement on that. I think we are mostly in agreement on the point of the distance between Pettis being truly elite versus just very good is the minor details.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Ward is probably the worlds best practice players and objectively is one of the better tacklers on the team...problem is he's made of single ply charmin.

kid has made $17M off SF (soon to be $20+M) for 31 starts in 5 yrs with 2 INTs
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Everyone is different. I just hope he doesn't lose Pettis with this type of tactic. But he would know better than I. It is funny that Pettis seems to constantly get dogged by Shanny yet a guy like Ward is penciled in as a starter, despite seemingly never playing. I get that all players are not treated the same, and hopefully this way intimately works.

For real. Life's biggest mystery.

I see it as tough love, Pettis is kyle's guy who he traded up to get and just wants to push him to be better thats how I see it. Ward is pretty much along with Sherman is the vet in the secondary I can see why he gets penciled in but I'll be willing to bet if Moore is better he will start
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Ward is probably the worlds best practice players and objectively is one of the better tacklers on the team...problem is he's made of single ply charmin.

kid has made $17M off SF (soon to be $20+M) for 31 starts in 5 yrs with 2 INTs

The amount of money this team has thrown away on garbage players is astounding. It's definitely an area they need to work on as the cap becomes closer in the rear view mirror.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I see it as tough love, Pettis is kyle's guy who he traded up to get and just wants to push him to be better thats how I see it. Ward is pretty much along with Sherman is the vet in the secondary I can see why he gets penciled in but I'll be willing to bet if Moore is better he will start

By all accounts and coaching Staffs Ward is one he'll of a practice player. Pettis is not and you earn your spot in practice.
The amount of money this team has thrown away on garbage players is astounding. It's definitely an area they need to work on as the cap becomes closer in the rear view mirror.

I agree with you on that. $3M is $3M might as well wipe our asses with it vs giving it to Ward lol.

Know what would have made sense....letting a kid who was regarded as a pretty damn good single-high FS prospect play his rookie yr there, instead of throwing any warm body back there. s**t if Moore looked someone competent back there last yr, Ward's ass wouldn't be here IMO.
Originally posted by Scarlettlove:
By all accounts and coaching Staffs Ward is one he'll of a practice player. Pettis is not and you earn your spot in practice.

I mean Ward's gotta practice first
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I agree with you on that. $3M is $3M might as well wipe our asses with it vs giving it to Ward lol.

Know what would have made sense....letting a kid who was regarded as a pretty damn good single-high FS prospect play his rookie yr there, instead of throwing any warm body back there. s**t if Moore looked someone competent back there last yr, Ward's ass wouldn't be here IMO.

100%
Pettis, we need you to play bigger.

K.

Probably better if Pettis primarily plays Z since it has been reported that he has had difficulty with physical coverage. The way he runs routes, Pettis needs that space.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Probably better if Pettis primarily plays Z since it has been reported that he has had difficulty with physical coverage. The way he runs routes, Pettis needs that space.

That's the X I believe. Weak side...opposite side of the TE, extra space to work with.

That's the X I believe. Weak side...opposite side of the TE, extra space to work with.

What? All these years I thought X was always the bigger stronger WR and Z was always the faster one. Mainly because there's no TE on the X (weak side) so you need a stronger blocker WR.

[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 14, 2019 at 9:29 AM ]

What? All these years I thought X was always the bigger stronger WR and Z was always the faster one. Mainly because there's no TE on the X (weak side) so you need a stronger blocker WR.

It's funny because your original post makes it sound like you want him at Z(in terms of giving him extra space) but X is the WR on the weak side.
  • thl408
Originally posted by genus49:

It's funny because your original post makes it sound like you want him at Z(in terms of giving him extra space) but X is the WR on the weak side.
It's not about big, strong, or fast. Generally, you want your X to be the WR that can win 1v1 against a CB, and command safety help. The X shouldn't need "help" from route combinations to get open, he gets open through route running, size, and/or speed - doesn't matter how, just get open "on your own".
Share 49ersWebzone