There are 243 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
He's not terrible. Just not the same since the injury and they seemed pretty content fair catching quite a bit last year.

Recovering from a major back injury can do that for you. If healthy, I can't see why he wouldn't be sufficient as the primary punt returner.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I just gave you the last 2 years after you said tons of teams, and now you want to back further? I think using current trends is a better way of getting an accurate gauge, don't you? That aside, you are focused on Very small sample sizes ...and in particular fixated on Lockett. These are outliers when it comes to teams primary offensive skill position players being used as PR's. We could go back 20 years and my guess is the trend would be similar.

Tons of teams have used their top or second top skill positions as returners or use FA or draft resources for top returners over the years. I'm sure that's trending down with the rules and less of an emphasis on the return game but that doesn't minimize the grand point. Pettis is a legit weapon. So is Reed. It sounds like they are trying out Deebo as well. It may be an emphasis this year. Lockett was drafted around the same spot and was a dual threat coming out like Pettis (except we moved up for him). Seattle gives zero f**ks about using a weapon like that. He's been big for them as a WR and returner.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's not terrible. Just not the same since the injury and they seemed pretty content fair catching quite a bit last year.

Recovering from a major back injury can do that for you. If healthy, I can't see why he wouldn't be sufficient as the primary punt returner.

He's just not dynamic. He's fearless though and is sure-handed and quick ,(zero long speed). I just think Pettis has far more ability. But whatevs...we haven't had a good returner here since Ginn and probably Deion before that.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 23, 2019 at 1:49 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
This tread is filled with immature garbage basically from 1 poster nobody agrees with. lol

You're not fooling anyone about who you're talking about.

Pretty sure there are rules about posting pointless social media stuff that has nothing to do with football. You are his biggest stalker. If people want to see his social media, they can visit his pages, don't need you posting it in hear with your lame attempts at humor while trying to push your narrative.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yes I said #1 WR. Was I not clear enough the first time? If the season started tomorrow, Pettis, Deebo and Goodwin are your starters.

I don't think either Pettis or Deebo should be returning. No need to be exposing them to more risk and more hits for what typically turns out to be little gain.

Let Taylor and James handle those duties and let the top guys focus solely on catching passes. If you look through the list of punt returners in the NFL, there isn't a single premium receiver on there with the exception of Lockett who is garbage as a returner but that is Seattle's business.

Ha...I'm not crowning a guy who's had less than 500 snaps our #1 WR...yet. I'm not even sure what a #1 WR is in this offense. If he goes out with injury, Kyle will just insert Goodwin or Hurd or reshift the distribution of primary receivers. He's important but not the catalyst to our passing game you're implying...yet.

I just gave you the last 2 years after you said tons of teams, and now you want to back further? I think using current trends is a better way of getting an accurate gauge, don't you? That aside, you are focused on Very small sample sizes ...and in particular fixated on Lockett. These are outliers when it comes to teams primary offensive skill position players being used as PR's. We could go back 20 years and my guess is the trend would be similar.

Tons of teams have used their top or second top skill positions as returners or use FA or draft resources for top returners over the years. I'm sure that's trending down with the rules and less of an emphasis on the return game but that doesn't minimize the grand point. Pettis is a legit weapon. So is Reed. It sounds like they are trying out Deebo as well. It may be an emphasis this year. Lockett was drafted around the same spot and was a dual threat coming out like Pettis (except we moved up for him). Seattle gives zero f**ks about using a weapon like that. He's been big for them as a WR and returner.

Sorry, but a ton of teams do not
And again you have tunnel vision due to how SEA used Lockett
Originally posted by pd24:
Pretty sure there are rules about posting pointless social media stuff that has nothing to do with football. You are his biggest stalker. If people want to see his social media, they can visit his pages, don't need you posting it in hear with your lame attempts at humor while trying to push your narrative.

Nope. Attack the post, not the poster. That's the golden rule. Nothing I've posted about him violates anything.

I see we're back to semantics to avoid the topic again.

This is what I'm talking about with you moving goal posts. You were wrong. End of story.
Zero sense to MOVE UP and draft the guy with the most punt return tds in college football history and not make him punt return. #1 reciever or not, didn't stop Antonio Brown or DeSean Jackson from returning punts and they are/was a thousand times more proven in the league at those times than Pettis currently is. That's just naming a few, It's a long list of players. Keeping him out for fear of him getting hurt is a copout if you ask me. I don't need to mention the ways guys can get hurt, punt returning is just one of another long list

This is what I'm talking about with you moving goal posts. You were wrong. End of story.

I should not have used a "ton." My implication was not meant to defer to the time period between September 11th 2018 10:AM PST - February 4th, 2019 9:PM PST.

Now...back to the point.

Pettis - Bad. He's too important. Scary.
Deebo - Currently fielding punts and wants too. *ignore*
Point - Made
[ Edited by NCommand on May 23, 2019 at 2:03 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Zero sense to MOVE UP and draft the guy with the most punt return tds in college football history and not make him punt return. #1 reciever or not, didn't stop Antonio Brown or DeSean Jackson from returning punts and they are/was a thousand times more proven in the league at those times than Pettis currently is. That's just naming a few, It's a long list of players. Keeping him out for fear of him getting hurt is a copout if you ask me. I don't need to mention the ways guys can get hurt, punt returning is just one of another long list

Welcome to the WZ.
normally, I'd agree. You should put him on kickoff returns and punts because of his collegiate career. But eh. He's too soft. Gunners on special teams are gonna eat him up for lunch and injure him again.

Maybe once he bulks up his frame and can take some hits, I'd be comfortable putting him back there.

I should not have used a "ton." My implication was not meant to defer to the time period between September 11th 2018 10:AM PST - February 4th, 2019 9:PM PST.

Now...back to the point.

Point - Made

Sorry, you were the one who brought up tons of other teams using primary weapons as PR, I was just countering your point
Lol point was not made. You are back to saying he doesn't want to field punts because he's scared. And now we've come full circle

Now...back to the point.

Point - Made

Sorry, you were the one who brought up tons of other teams using primary weapons as PR, I was just countering your point
Lol point was not made. You are back to saying he doesn't want to field punts because he's scared. And now we've come full circle

You have an uncanny ability to zero in on one aspect of a larger point (Cohn, a semantic, etc.) while never addressing the point. I retracted the "ton" comment to fit your definition better and "scary" was referring to WZ fans...not him.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 23, 2019 at 2:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone