LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by 91til:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I'd rather him be all weird like that than acting like some stupid thug.

Exactly, he's no OBJ or AB diva WR, he has the makings of being a true #1 WR IMO.

NEVER a true #1.. never..

the guy will be good, but he'll be an awesome 2 !!

Based on what we saw last year, I don't get how you guys can just arbitrarily declare that he's not capable of being a #1. If he can't stay healthy, then sure he won't be our #1, but then he also wouldn't be a good #2 or #3 either. When he was healthy last year, if he ever was fully healthy, he showed flashes of elite talent every game and he produced both TDs and yards. Not much different than Kittle's rookie season.
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:

Exactly, he's no OBJ or AB diva WR, he has the makings of being a true #1 WR IMO.

Based on what we saw last year, I don't get how you guys can just arbitrarily declare that he's not capable of being a #1. If he can't stay healthy, then sure he won't be our #1, but then he also wouldn't be a good #2 or #3 either. When he was healthy last year, if he ever was fully healthy, he showed flashes of elite talent every game and he produced both TDs and yards. Not much different than Kittle's rookie season.

Exactly this! At this point, no one knows his ceiling. Based on what we saw last year though...he absolutely has the ability to PRODUCE as a #1. Let's watch and see what happens.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by five1oh:
Can't wait to see Dante Pettis and Julio Jones on the same field!

you'll have to wait for the probowl. j/k, pettis will never make it there.
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:

Exactly this! At this point, no one knows his ceiling. Based on what we saw last year though...he absolutely has the ability to PRODUCE as a #1. Let's watch and see what happens.

I just hope he has been working on gaining 10 to 15 pounds.

Not really. A #1 is someone who regularly makes the contested catches, has little issues with physical press and can take over games at times and is always the #1 outlet for a QB...total trust.

That doesn't mean he can't. He has all the talent and a full license to become just that but he's got some natural holes in his game right now, health and is best suited for the slot and X.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Not really. A #1 is someone who regularly makes the contested catches, has little issues with physical press and can take over games at times and is always the #1 outlet for a QB...total trust.

That doesn't mean he can't. He has all the talent and a full license to become just that but he's got some natural holes in his game right now, health and is best suited for the slot and X.

If Kyle can come up with a good 2nd and 3rd wr, I dont think we need a true #1 WR like a Jerry Rice. We were fine with Clark, Solomon and Mike Wilson and won games with those three.

Sounds like your describing Kittle.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

If Kyle can come up with a good 2nd and 3rd wr, I dont think we need a true #1 WR like a Jerry Rice. We were fine with Clark, Solomon and Mike Wilson and won games with those three.

we do not have any wide out that are close to clark rice freddie or even mike in my opinion. we are not talking about the tight end here.. aside from kittle we have no one who can do the things that nc pointed out in his thoughts, in my opinion
His ceiling is probably ty hilton. I would also take that all day.

If I remember correctly Julio played the X in Atlanta. Im not sure the roles matter all that much as long as your skill set is well rounded enough. Its like trying to apply the classical RT/LT dichotomy to the modern NFL, Its somewhat irrelevant. Health is an issue of course, but thats a roll of the dice for every player. His releases(he had very little issues with getting off of press last year) and route running are awesome. He has great hands and made some excellent catches last year. I disagree about he contested catch thing. I dont think Kyle, in general, puts a huge premium on the 50/50 ball.

There is no real reason Dante cant become a number 1. Its just a regurgitated talking point now that boils down to fans wanting a number 1 that looks like TO.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
If I remember correctly Julio played the X in Atlanta. Im not sure the roles matter all that much as long as your skill set is well rounded enough. Its like trying to apply the classical RT/LT dichotomy to the modern NFL, Its somewhat irrelevant. Health is an issue of course, but thats a roll of the dice for every player. His releases(he had very little issues with getting off of press last year) and route running are awesome. He has great hands and made some excellent catches last year. I disagree about he contested catch thing. I dont think Kyle, in general, puts a huge premium on the 50/50 ball.

There is no real reason Dante cant become a number 1. Its just a regurgitated talking point now that boils down to fans wanting a number 1 that looks like TO.
my god here.. the extremes kill me. its like some of us want upgrades... we get told.... all you guys want are 53 pro bowlers. good god.. i can not speak for nc or anyone else but i really really doubt owens crossed anyones minds when we are talking about a upgrade in our wide outs. some of us are underwhelmed by our nice but little wide outs who scare no one. i am happy we got our new free agent wide out but no one knows if he will be any good. point is many of use think we need a bigger guy who can make tough catches. take hits. be fearless etc. owens has nothing to do my or most peoples reasons why they think this way.
Originally posted by cciowa:

my god here.. the extremes kill me. its like some of us want upgrades... we get told.... all you guys want are 53 pro bowlers. good god.. i can not speak for nc or anyone else but i really really doubt owens crossed anyones minds when we are talking about a upgrade in our wide outs. some of us are underwhelmed by our nice but little wide outs who scare no one. i am happy we got our new free agent wide out but no one knows if he will be any good. point is many of use think we need a bigger guy who can make tough catches. take hits. be fearless etc. owens has nothing to do my or most peoples reasons why they think this way.

Please show me where I said we shouldnt upgrade at wide receivers, Ill wait. I very much think we should, and will. My point is that people on this board are putting an unnecessary ceiling on Pettis for no apparent reason. The only reason I can surmise is that he isnt one inch taller and 30 pounds heavier.

It has everything to do with the big bodied horde on this board who believe that only someone who is 6'3 220 pounds can be a number one. Trust me, that would be sweet. But Kyle doesnt seem to value it, and thats fine too. There are many ways to skin a cat. If you think that we need a big bodied receiver thats great, all the same what does that have to do with Dante Pettis' ceiling?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Please show me where I said we shouldnt upgrade at wide receivers, Ill wait. I very much think we should, and will. My point is that people on this board are putting an unnecessary ceiling on Pettis for no apparent reason. The only reason I can surmise is that he isnt one inch taller and 30 pounds heavier.

It has everything to do with the big bodied horde on this board who believe that only someone who is 6'3 220 pounds can be a number one. Trust me, that would be sweet. But Kyle doesnt seem to value it, and thats fine too. There are many ways to skin a cat. If you think that we need a big bodied receiver thats great, all the same what does that have to do with Dante Pettis' ceiling?

i do not get caught up in a number one or two. i just think our current crop will not get it done. i did not mean to imply you never said we never need an upgrade. i just took issue with you putting words in peoples mouths that we want a owens part two. obviously kyle is changing his mind cuz he got mathews who is not a typical little kyle wide out. pettis falls into the category of nice. potential. not worth trading up to get. you feel we need a upgrade at wide out and i agree. i take issue with people who just hope taylor will be back. hope good win will be healthy. hope pettis will take the next step and for some ungodly reason think bourne and james are going to be answers
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Giedi:

we do not have any wide out that are close to clark rice freddie or even mike in my opinion. we are not talking about the tight end here.. aside from kittle we have no one who can do the things that nc pointed out in his thoughts, in my opinion

One of the reasons Kittle was so successful was the speed we had at wideout. Defenses have to pay attention to those speed receivers otherwise they'll get burned. Having said that, when Groppolo went down, there goes the passer that threw to the number 1 supposedly receivers. In other words, I think the lack of production from the Wr corps has a bit more to do with the QB's that were throwing to them and the lack of a defense that could keep leads and have a much more balanced offense, than bad WR's. With Jimmy comming back, one or more of the WRs now have a chance at becoming elite. We may already have a Julio 2.0 already, we just dont know it. I certainly didn't know Jerry would be wearing a yellow jacket after his first year in the NFL.
Originally posted by walker807:

Sounds like your describing Kittle.

if we're talking a #1 receiver, you're talking about your "X" receiver or split end - whichever you call it. It's not the flanker or "Z".

Think about T.O. when Jerry was here, he played the "Z" and Rice the "X" most of the time. Split end plays away from the tight end and they're usually on the LOS. Your flanker is to the TE side and so you can create more passing concepts on that side. That's why your Z is often called the possession receiver cause they'll be asked to run routes into crowded zones to create those concepts.

Once Rice left we had T.O. playing the X. If Pettis is suited for the "X" receiver role then he's suited to be our #1 receiver. If defenses have to roll coverage toward that receiver it'll open up your 3 route concept side all day long. If they don't roll coverage that way and if your X is a true #1, you now have your X 1v1 with a corner a lot of times.
Share 49ersWebzone