LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Ok, but is he a pitcher or a catcher...

Ballboy
Bo Jackson was pretty insane before his knee exploded. I saw him make a throw from the left field outfield wall in a Royals game and hit the catcher's mitt at home plate - on the fly. That was one freaked out runner, thrown out trying for home from third on the fly ball.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Bo Jackson was pretty insane before his knee exploded. I saw him make a throw from the left field outfield wall in a Royals game and hit the catcher's mitt at home plate - on the fly. That was one freaked out runner, thrown out trying for home from third on the fly ball.

Hip broke and didn't heal properly.
Originally posted by captveg:

My mistake. I saw the play a very long time ago. Non-contact injury as he was making a cut from the right sideline iirc. Went back to playing baseball after, but never the same.

Jordan has his own category in my book. Guys like Rice, Brady, others can squabble for second.

Agree! Loved watching him. He likely would be the second best RB of all time behind Jim Brown. Then it could be argued Sayers, Payton and a few others. The current group looks promising.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Agree! Loved watching him. He likely would be the second best RB of all time behind Jim Brown. Then it could be argued Sayers, Payton and a few others. The current group looks promising.

But could they compete with McKinnon, Breida and Mostert?
Originally posted by NCommand:

But could they compete with McKinnon, Breida and Mostert?
Alf would beat them with one leg tied behind his back.
Originally posted by captveg:

My mistake. I saw the play a very long time ago. Non-contact injury as he was making a cut from the right sideline iirc. Went back to playing baseball after, but never the same.

Jordan has his own category in my book. Guys like Rice, Brady, others can squabble for second.

It wasn't non contact, but it wasn't violent contact either. He was tackled from behind and grabbed around the legs, and his hip dislocated. But he got avascular necrosis and loss of cartilage in the hip, and that was all she wrote. An argument could be made that he was the best all around athlete in history. I have never seen someone that big and strong run that fast.

Someone above mentioned his ability to throw a baseball

[ Edited by Bluesbro on Aug 14, 2018 at 6:24 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Ok, but is he a pitcher or a catcher...

That joke was served up in a platter
  • DaBum
  • Veteran

Not to start a debate about non-49er stuff but lol at him likely being the 2nd best all-time if he didn't get hurt. He never had a 1,000 yard season despite getting 4 seasons in his prime and was a complete non-factor in the passing game. He was very good but come on. 2700 yards in 4 seasons and a grand total of 16 rushing touchdowns.

Originally posted by JMC52:
Originally posted by DaBum:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Clearly, not interested in football...

j/k

All he does is catch TD's and hit dingers.

Dafaq is with the baseball s**t, he could be in the film room studying NFL defenses and s**t.

Pettis is a bad man

Nice to see
Love this exchange....

Cohn tries to put his 2 cents in....gets wrecked.
[ Edited by genus49 on Aug 14, 2018 at 8:47 PM ]
Originally posted by DaBum:

Not to start a debate about non-49er stuff but lol at him likely being the 2nd best all-time if he didn't get hurt. He never had a 1,000 yard season despite getting 4 seasons in his prime and was a complete non-factor in the passing game. He was very good but come on. 2700 yards in 4 seasons and a grand total of 16 rushing touchdowns.

Yes, I might have gone full hyperbole there! But...when I watched him round end and then outrun every DB on the field...just never saw another RB make that look so easy. To be fair, his highest number of carries in a year was 1989--173.

Most carries in a year and best average per carry
Jackson: 173 carries, 6.8 Compare that to
Dickerson: 404 carries, 5.6.
Simpson: 332 carries, 6 (14 games)
Payton: 381 carries, 5.5
Sayers: 236 carries, 6.2 (14 games)
Jim Brown: 304, 6.4 (14 games)

So...half the carries of other backs each year but a higher per carry average. Hard to compare each player's situation--QB, receivers, scheme. But for me he was the second most talented I've seen.

*Scare myself at times as to how much I enjoy research like this...
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 14, 2018 at 10:23 PM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
dudes big brother is on a soap opera.
Whatever the conversation of Bo jackson is... he was the greatest athlete to ever play the game. He is basically the Bruce Lee of football and baseball, no one had seen that type of speed and power in that form before or has since. It may have been hand timed but he ran a 4.12 40 for scouts... basically a 230 pound more athletic Deion Sanders who didnt shy from contact. Would of broken every record had he stayed healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone