LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by napo:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
So if Pettis turns out to be a good player and Miller and/or Kirk turn out to be great, the GM gets a pass? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. So let's just see how things go, and grade Lynch accordingly.

actually yeah it does work that way...I guess every GM who passed on A Brown should have been held accountable?

All I care about is how our player does in our system. Miller literally has no one to battle for slot snaps. Half the time it's about being in the right situation at the right time. Look at guys like hogan and Welker while in NE vs elsewhere.

The GM's job is ti identify the best talent. If you take a C grade player and pass on A grade players, you aren't doing your job very well.

That said, Pettis may turn out to be an A. My point was that with other quality receivers on the board, it will be interesting to see which GM did the best job in identifying talent. This shouldn't be that controversial.

You're missing the point. Sometimes it's not cut and dry on what makes guys better.

Is Andre Johnson a bad pick because Anquan Boldin who was drafted after him had a more proficient career?
Was Michael Vick a bad pick for Atlanta because of Drew Brees?
Was Jamal Lewis a bad pick for Baltimore because Shaun Alexander had a more impactful career?
So if Pettis turns out to be a good player and Miller and/or Kirk turn out to be great, the GM gets a pass? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. So let's just see how things go, and grade Lynch accordingly.

actually yeah it does work that way...I guess every GM who passed on A Brown should have been held accountable?

All I care about is how our player does in our system. Miller literally has no one to battle for slot snaps. Half the time it's about being in the right situation at the right time. Look at guys like hogan and Welker while in NE vs elsewhere.

The GM's job is ti identify the best talent. If you take a C grade player and pass on A grade players, you aren't doing your job very well.

That said, Pettis may turn out to be an A. My point was that with other quality receivers on the board, it will be interesting to see which GM did the best job in identifying talent. This shouldn't be that controversial.
You are making it controversial with the need to compare different players in different schemes. We just need to worry about how our own is doing (right fit)
It's fair to have concerns about any rookie, I mean do we have clips of him not being able to get off the line or is it the lack of highlight clips of him beating press (because no one played press vs him)? It's two totally different things....if he had issues beating press and dealing with aggressive DBs at the line, why the heck didn't teams play him like that in college?

You can see him finding pockets in zone defenses, you see him make tough catches all the time in college. His QB was awful and made him work for everything...kid has very good hands.

It's hard for me to question his love of the game when I haven't even seen the kid play in the NFL. What would lead you to question his character in that regard? Because he's not posting himself doing push-ups?

Again most of people's concerns aren't totally factual because he didn't have health issues, I didn't see him get smacked around at the line all day everyday, he made contested catches, and no one has questioned his football character.

It seems to be based around his size and people just saying he's not 200+ lbs, so he will get hurt and can't be physical just because. I think he will have a solid role for us, I don't think he's gonna be a WR1 or anything.

Yes sir...LACK of film which is not uncommon in film study. This is the challenge of identifying skill sets and projecting them to the NFL and the spread offenses and college game can make it even more challenging.

But like you said, even if you get just a couple examples, that might be enough to believe he can do the same at the pros and get better with more repetitions.

I just have the usual questions coming in as a rookie; ones that I'd probably have for any/most rookie WR. The commitment to the game was just brought up because he clearly has other loves as well like the arts, books and hair highlights.

2 more days and we get to watch these kids grow and answer more and more questions/concerns.
It's all about finding the best talent for that team/system. Someone's skill set in a certain scheme might be more impactful then in a different scheme. WRs are one of the most dependent positions in the NFL. Scheme and QB are super important for WR success...example TY hilton went from the league leader in yards with luck in 2016 to having over 500 less yards without him last yr.

We will see how pettis and other WR drafted around him do, but imo it would be silly to compare WRs without looking at the situations they're in

Fully agree here esp. bold.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Exactly...he only started playing in the slot this last year building off his abilities outside. Clever wrinkle to add for DC's and one that I believe, aligns with how Kyle will probably use him (versatility).

You may be right. I just reference the slot because I think he'll get clean releases there and can add a homerun element there that Taylor may not. And I doubt Kyle wants to take Goodwin off the field because the threat of his speed alone opens up so much under him...and Garcon, you always want the Wiley physical WR out there to help in run blocking and for JG as a primary or outlet.

Man, that would be awesome!

I'm assuming Goodwin and Garcon start...

My boy Bourne is getting a lot of hype. Taylor is solid and is a great route runner who has heart. It'll be interesting to see Bourne and Pettis battle for PT. Pettis was a high pick, so that gives him an advantage. Although, after seeing Joe Williams be put in his place we know Kyle and Lynch don't care where you're drafted. You have to perform

Also, if Bourne and/or Pettis show promise I think this is Garcon's last year on the team.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I'm assuming Goodwin and Garcon start...

My boy Bourne is getting a lot of hype. Taylor is solid and is a great route runner who has heart. It'll be interesting to see Bourne and Pettis battle for PT. Pettis was a high pick, so that gives him an advantage. Although, after seeing Joe Williams be put in his place we know Kyle and Lynch don't care where you're drafted. You have to perform

Also, if Bourne and/or Pettis show promise I think this is Garcon's last year on the team.

I'm glad you brought that up about Bourne because both are on a similar plane but Pettis offers more versatility where Bourne is probably best to give breathers to Garcon at the Z. I can't wait to see the miss of WR personnel we'll roll out there especially given Kittle, Juice and McKinnon certainly being a focal point in the passing game.

Agreed...Garcon and even Taylor are going to have two hungry young players pushing for their snaps. And that's a good thing!
I'm glad you brought that up about Bourne because both are on a similar plane but Pettis offers more versatility where Bourne is probably best to give breathers to Garcon at the Z. I can't wait to see the miss of WR personnel we'll roll out there especially given Kittle, Juice and McKinnon certainly being a focal point in the passing game.

Agreed...Garcon and even Taylor are going to have two hungry young players pushing for their snaps. And that's a good thing!

Yup... I'm excited to see the creativity from Kyle this year. I think Kittle will break out this year. Juice and McKinnon versatile as eff... come on preseason get here!

In regards to preseason, I'm most excited to see Pettis and Bourne.
I really feel like Kyle may go through WRs like DCs go through defensive linemen sometimes.

Assuming Pettis, Bourne and whomever is going to be the 6th WR show enough confidence to play in this offense I can see Kyle subbing guys in/out even when health isn't an issue.

It would be even harder for defenses to game plan for us with all the weapons we have if one play can be ran with Garcon, Goodwin and Taylor at 3 WRs and then again with Bourne, Pettis and let's say James.

I'm sure DBs and teams study every WR on the opposing roster but they obviously pay a lot more attention to the presumed starters. If we can use them so interchangeably it adds another challenge to DBs trying to study for the game.
Originally posted by genus49:
I really feel like Kyle may go through WRs like DCs go through defensive linemen sometimes.

Assuming Pettis, Bourne and whomever is going to be the 6th WR show enough confidence to play in this offense I can see Kyle subbing guys in/out even when health isn't an issue.

It would be even harder for defenses to game plan for us with all the weapons we have if one play can be ran with Garcon, Goodwin and Taylor at 3 WRs and then again with Bourne, Pettis and let's say James.

I'm sure DBs and teams study every WR on the opposing roster but they obviously pay a lot more attention to the presumed starters. If we can use them so interchangeably it adds another challenge to DBs trying to study for the game.
The only reason Kyle would be able to keep a DC is if he's a mediocre DC.

If he sucks, Kyle will have to fire him. If he's good, he'll end up with a HC job eventually.
Originally posted by sacniner:

Yup... I'm excited to see the creativity from Kyle this year. I think Kittle will break out this year. Juice and McKinnon versatile as eff... come on preseason get here!

In regards to preseason, I'm most excited to see Pettis and Bourne.

Outstanding! 2 more days.

It's weird, I usually have high hopes for our top draft picks. But I've put the bar pretty low for Pettis. McGlinchey seems like a plug-and-play T and he'll probably be pretty good. I think Warner can be a good situational tweener LB/S hybrid-type, but I don't see his impact being immediate.

I guess it's a sign that this team is getting close to having a full, competitive roster. Pettis just seems like the 5th or 6th guy on the depth chart. I'd be a surprise to me if we start the season and he's seeing more than a handful of reps per game.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by genus49:

The only reason Kyle would be able to keep a DC is if he's a mediocre DC.

If he sucks, Kyle will have to fire him. If he's good, he'll end up with a HC job eventually.

I think you missed the point of my post.
Yes sir...LACK of film which is not uncommon in film study. This is the challenge of identifying skill sets and projecting them to the NFL and the spread offenses and college game can make it even more challenging.

But like you said, even if you get just a couple examples, that might be enough to believe he can do the same at the pros and get better with more repetitions.

I just have the usual questions coming in as a rookie; ones that I'd probably have for any/most rookie WR. The commitment to the game was just brought up because he clearly has other loves as well like the arts, books and hair highlights.

2 more days and we get to watch these kids grow and answer more and more questions/concerns.

Yup big difference between seeing someone fail at something and just not having the overall flim of him doing it...I will say he seemed to not have trouble when challenged at the line of scrimmage (I agree it wasn't often). There will be a transition phase no doubt, it's tough for a rookie to go out and ball yr one in the NFL.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
It's weird, I usually have high hopes for our top draft picks. But I've put the bar pretty low for Pettis. McGlinchey seems like a plug-and-play T and he'll probably be pretty good. I think Warner can be a good situational tweener LB/S hybrid-type, but I don't see his impact being immediate.

I guess it's a sign that this team is getting close to having a full, competitive roster. Pettis just seems like the 5th or 6th guy on the depth chart. I'd be a surprise to me if we start the season and he's seeing more than a handful of reps per game.

He's our day 1 punt returner without question...I think his role will expand as the season moves on, if/when someone gets hurt then we got a solid player who's already got above avg route-running abilities with great hands.

Also I wouldn't be shocked to see Warner beat out smith at some pt this yr

Yup big difference between seeing someone fail at something and just not having the overall flim of him doing it...I will say he seemed to not have trouble when challenged at the line of scrimmage (I agree it wasn't often). There will be a transition phase no doubt, it's tough for a rookie to go out and ball yr one in the NFL.

That's why I'm really excited to see him go up against Sherman, Witherspoon, Moore, etc. outside and inside, against Williams, Foster, Warner, Tartt and Colbert.

That will strengthen the areas he has the least experience in...jam press and sitting down in holes fearlessly and he'll get a lot of contested balls either way.

If he finds success against that group, he'll become a legit weapon and versatile chess piece for Kyle.
Share 49ersWebzone