LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Lol we get it NC, you don't like Pettis

How can someone hate a rookie whos never even played yet?

Haha...exactly. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing him play esp. on how he'll fare outside against Sherman, Witherspoon, Moore, etc. and inside with Foster, Tartt asks Colbert. I think his game will be good for our outside CB's too...quickness off the LOS, lateral agility, excellent hands, etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2018 at 6:20 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Haha...exactly. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing him play esp. on his he'll fare outside against Sherman, Witherspoon, Moore, etc. I think his game will be good for our CB's too...quickness off the LOS, lateral agility, excellent hands, etc.

yup, I mean he's practiced for yrs vs guys like Peters/King/Jones who are good press-men DBs...That's a solid start in "not getting beat up at the line" or whatever people are worried about.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Haha...exactly. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing him play esp. on his he'll fare outside against Sherman, Witherspoon, Moore, etc. I think his game will be good for our CB's too...quickness off the LOS, lateral agility, excellent hands, etc.

yup, I mean he's practiced for yrs vs guys like Peters/King/Jones who are good press-men DBs...That's a solid start in "not getting beat up at the line" or whatever people are worried about.

Certainly, my original concern about his lack of game film up against press (saw a couple clips) is only tempered by the idea that's he's faced it in practice and probably on a regular basis. His clips in college he seems to have nothing but clean, free releases, lots of space to work with and horrendous DB coverage. That said, Kyle looks for traits and projects how those traits can translate to the NFL. This is really the first time HE has had the power to pick hos own WR so we'll see how it goes.

My concerns of his games are in relation to what he'll face at the NFL level. If he's predominantly at the slot (he'll certainly be moved around), he'll get clean releases but can he be aggressive, find the holes, make tough catches in small windows and take the NFL pounding esp. on 3rd downs and the RZ. Outside, can he block effectively in the run game (big responsibility in outside zone runs) and can he beat strong press and outmuscle on contested balls.

Character...does he really love football as much as he claims?

I'm looking forward to getting answers to these questions soon. With Garcon, Goodwin, Taylor and Bourne, there's no big rush here either which is a great spot for him esp. given he's got to learn all 3 WR positions.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2018 at 6:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Lol he's right. I'd prefer what he's doing over players that waste time recording, editing videos, posting, reading comments and all that s**t

Pettis and this dude would get along famously.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/football-star-shows-you-cant-judge-a-book-by-its-cover/

Malcolm Mitchell with the University of Georgia Bulldogs was one of the top recruits in the country a few years ago.
Fact is, Rackley may have been the only one in Athens who didn't know the name Malcolm Mitchell. Number 26 for the University of Georgia Bulldogs was one of the top recruits in the country a few years ago. He's Georgia royalty.

And presumably, if Rackley had known that, she wouldn't have stood in that Barnes & Noble talking his ear off about the book club she had just joined.
"I mean he like stepped back and he said 'You did? You did?' and he said, 'Can I join your book club?'" Rackley recalled.
"And I said, 'I don't know if you want to join mine. We're all 40-, 50-, and 60-year-old women.'"

But Mitchell was undeterred. So now, one of the top wide-receivers in the country has been meeting monthly with his book club lady friends.
Mitchell meets monthly with the book club.

He's the only man, and the youngest by a generation -- but Mitchell doesn't care. Nor does he care what anyone thinks.
"Somebody called me a nerd. That's not a word that I'm used to hearing," he said. But he's more than okay with the label. "I was proud of it... It's like a badge of honor to me, knowing where I came from."

https://www.readwithmalcolm.com/

https://theundefeated.com/features/malcolm-mitchell-new-england-patriots-love-of-reading-athlete-of-the-week/

Awesome...I'd be thrilled if Pettis racked up his first year numbers:

32 receptions, 401 yards, 12.5 average, 4TD's
  • napo
  • Veteran
Both Christian Kirk and Anthony Miller were available when Pettis was picked. The GM should be evaluated on how Pettis compares to those two. So far, reports are that Miller has been dominating at Chicago's camp.
[ Edited by napo on Jul 23, 2018 at 9:42 AM ]
Originally posted by napo:
Both Christian Kirk and Anthony Miller were available when Pettis was picked. The GM should be evaluated on how Pettis compares to those two. So far, reports are that Miller has been dominating at Chicago's camp.

The GM should be evaluated how Pettis does here.

What other guys do somewhere isn't always a wise analysis. Different schemes, different opponents, different scenarios.

Miller is a slot guy. His opportunities with Allen Robinson on the other side will be much different than Pettis.

Agreed. I had those 2 guys (and DJ Chark) ranked higher than Pettis going in. Trading up just to, arguably, reach for Pettis was probably the most dubious decision of our whole draft. Obviously Lynch/KS have been fantastic, and this one decision won't make or break them. But it will be an interesting one to watch.

LOL

LOL

To be fair I'd rather rookies "dominate" camp than not but yeah...

Not to mention he did well in non padded practices. For slot guys that's when they should dominate.
Originally posted by genus49:

What other guys do somewhere isn't always a wise analysis. Different schemes, different opponents, different scenarios.

Miller is a slot guy. His opportunities with Allen Robinson on the other side will be much different than Pettis.
Agreed. Especially considering depth at WR now. Pettite to be more of a swiss army knife, impact utility type at least at the start.

And they grabbed Allen Robinson who appears on track for TC. But yeah, good comps. Then again, it also depends on how those players are used. Out of the gate, Pettis is expected to be a swing-WR.

ALSO...Pettis does add very important ST value too. That's an important distinction.

If he loses out PR to D.J. Reed and hardly gets run at WR or we can't find a home for him, then I'd start to start to worry.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2018 at 10:12 AM ]

Not to mention he did well in non padded practices. For slot guys that's when they should dominate.

i guess its better than him looking terrible in practice, but how does one "dominate" in practice? lol

lets just pump the brakes on all these dudes until there's actually real games to be played
Just get the kid signed and then let's see how he performs in training camp and in preseason games. Still a lot of question marks about the investment we made in Pettis. Won't make any final judgements until he hits the field.

i guess its better than him looking terrible in practice, but how does one "dominate" in practice? lol

lets just pump the brakes on all these dudes until there's actually real games to be played

Trust me I'm with you. WRs "dominate" in practice to the tune of like 5 catches and a few big plays. So few reps to go around since everyone has to get theirs that it doesn't take much to stand out. Sometimes someone can get 3 receptions and be the "standout"

I'll be very curious how Chicago does this year. Someone on another message board I post on is trying to get a "Trubisky/Garoppolo" rivalry going...not sure why but it's funny regardless.

I'm curious how Chicago does because they added Robinson who I wanted for us and Trubisky will always be a QB we could've had so it will certainly be curious to see who ends up with a better career - Jimmy or Trubisky.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind would take Trubisky right NOW though.
  • napo
  • Veteran

So if Pettis turns out to be a good player and Miller and/or Kirk turn out to be great, the GM gets a pass? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. So let's just see how things go, and grade Lynch accordingly.
Share 49ersWebzone