There are 64 users in the forums

Mike McGlinchey-OT-Notre Dame

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by ritz126:
i miss him the right side has been god awful since he got injured

It was god awful before he left. There hasn't been a drop off lol it's literally the same.

He is literally a turnstile against the pass rush. What has that guy been watching lol
It was god awful before he left. There hasn't been a drop off lol it's literally the same.

2 sacks allowed in 470 snaps for reference
Compton has allowed 4 sacks in around that many snaps as well

Im pretty sure JG flicking the ball out saved McG 2-3 sacks. Compton just had a couple more facepalms but it's not like McG is a stone wall in pass pro

You comparing a 1st round tackle to a journeyman lineman. It's been clear we can get McGlinchey level performance from a far less expensive player.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I was thinking of ways we could get rid of this guy. Wondering if Jets would be willing to take him for like a late rounder. Their RT Morgan Moses is a free agent and Saleh&LaFleur obviously are familiar with McGlinchey. They could probably trade for him and extend him to a friendly deal. Just a thought. I just want this guy not protecting our QB and his money off the books.

I wouldn't shed a tear if wasn't on the team.

No one in their right mind should.

He is probably not going to return. The surgery he had has a 50% return rate for athletes. If not they will probably be drafting a tackle or hoping brunskill or Moore can win that spot. He has -0 trade value at this time.

Yeah im thinking if we cant trade him, then Paragg will work his magic on a small extension that softens the blow of that $10M and spreads it out while we can draft a RT to compete with him, Good amount of talent at the OT position in 2 and 3

I do wonder what the plan is going forward. Hoping they resign Tomlinson and have the left side locked down. Then, move Banks in at RG, assuming he can hold that position. God help us if we can't, but we do have Jaylon Moore and Colton McKivitz as insurance. Moore, McKivitz, and Brunskill compete at RT. All we need is a center of the future. As for McGlinchey, Tom Compton has shown we can get dominant run blocking and poor pass protection for far less. If anything, MM's unfortunate injury worked out in that regard. I do hope he can return for the sake of his career. If Mike McGlinchey can return, he will definitely have a viable career as a starter somewhere. But I expect us to move on.
I really haven't noticed much of a drop-off. Not worth the money.
Compton keeps showing up on PFF highest graded players on our team. We don't need to spend big money on RT with the production we were getting for next year. Move on from Mike
Originally posted by justjim77:
Compton keeps showing up on PFF highest graded players on our team. We don't need to spend big money on RT with the production we were getting for next year. Move on from Mike

he's got one of the highest run-blocking grades in football...pass-pro is a whole other thing.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

maybe they trade him too on draft night?
Well the Niners picked up his 5th year option. If I am not mistake once they pick up the option his salary is guaranteed 100% for the 5th year. So he is a Niner in 2022 whether we like it or not.

Keep him and move on a year later, if he signs a big FA contract the niners ca get a compsatory pick for him.

Originally posted by BMoore56:
He is literally a turnstile against the pass rush. What has that guy been watching lol

I dont think you realize just how bad oline play is around the league.

Plus the poster below pointed out that he has given up 2 sacks while Compton has given up 4 sacks.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Truth!

At best he's a serviceable back-up.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

You comparing a 1st round tackle to a journeyman lineman. It's been clear we can get McGlinchey level performance from a far less expensive player.

You absolutely NAILED it!
I don't care what stats are thrown out there MM does not pass the eye test.
MM has underperformed as a top-10 pick. But this season was pretty good compared to the abomination that was 2020. If he hit FA now with no health questions, I'm pretty sure he'd get an above average deal. Not elite, but definitely not peanuts either. Its the state of tackles in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone