There are 267 users in the forums

Mike McGlinchey-OT-Denver Broncos

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Protecting a franchise QB is never a bad idea so I get the idea behind the pick. Two time team captain at ND so he's a leader type, don't have to worry about commitment or off field issues. I don't like that he's already 24, but not sure if he just turned 24 or what. Either way, OT is a position where being a true technician at the position can allow a player to play at a high level into the mid 30s. Not to mention he probably fits the skillset to execute in the run game.

Drafting an OT before you absolutely need one is not a terrible idea. Staley is getting up there in age, Brown is iffy due to shoulder and work ethic, and no one else on the current roster has exactly made an argument to replace them. Sometimes drafting to a strength is a great idea. I would rather have R Smith, but he was gone. Other positions have move depth in this draft so a top OT? I like it. No flash but build your lines first.
Originally posted by FromDaBay2La:
I don't mind the pick too much, but at #9? Why couldn't we pull the trade back that Oakland or TB got, Mcclinchey May have still been there, but hey, I understand we NEED a tackle. I hear nothing but good things, that his floor is a long term starter at RT. I can't complain too much. Let's go

Oakland traded back as soon as the 49ers took McGlinchey and they ended up drafting a tackle afterwards. This whole "they could have traded back" stuff sounds good but rarely meshes with reality.
I don't mind the pick too much, but at #9? Why couldn't we pull the trade back that Oakland or TB got, Mcclinchey May have still been there, but hey, I understand we NEED a tackle. I hear nothing but good things, that his floor is a long term starter at RT. I can't complain too much. Let's go

Heard from Kawakami that the 49ers don't want to trade with division rivals Cardinals.
Protecting a franchise QB is never a bad idea so I get the idea behind the pick. Two time team captain at ND so he's a leader type, don't have to worry about commitment or off field issues. I don't like that he's already 24, but not sure if he just turned 24 or what. Either way, OT is a position where being a true technician at the position can allow a player to play at a high level into the mid 30s. Not to mention he probably fits the skillset to execute in the run game.

To make him a Top-10 pick I hope he's at least a solid starter from Day 1 and then within a couple years develops into the anchor of this OL into his mid-30's, with maybe a couple All-Pro nods along the way.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Are we supposed to be surprised by this news? Brown is the laziest guy in the league.

Once again I'm right. I argued with guys (NY and Genus) for a year about Kaepernick.

I argued with guys for a year about Trent Brown and how he is a horrible pick.

I argued about Solomon Thomas and taking a DE 3 years in a row.

And now I was the first person on earth to mock McGlinchey to the Niners days before the hype came out.
For you
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Oakland traded back as soon as the 49ers took McGlinchey and they ended up drafting a tackle afterwards. This whole "they could have traded back" stuff sounds good but rarely meshes with reality.

And boom goes the dynamite!!!
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He can play inside this year, can't he?

No. Kyle said he'd compete at RT.

The Raiders were going to take McGlinchey at 10:

In fact, they were so pissed McGlinchey went 9 that they got jobbed in their trade with Atlanta.

From Bob McGinn.

1. MIKE McGLINCHEY, Notre Dame (6-8, 310, no 40, 1): Started at RT in 2015 and at LT in 2016-'17. "He'll be a good pro," said one scout. "He's just steady. Know what you're getting. Nothing is great. Everything is really good. He'll be a better right tackle but he can play left. Intangibles are through the roof." Led tackles in the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test with a score of 37. "He's a great kid," said a second scout. "He acts like a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. He's not a devastating left tackle but he gets his man every time." Arms were 34 inches, hands were 10. Those measurements represent good, not great length. "When he went against somebody good he wasn't that impressive," a third scout said. "He got exposed against Georgia big-time. He was probably just OK against (Harold) Landry and Boston College. I went back in the last two weeks and watched him. There's some things he does well but, wow, he is nowhere remotely close to an (Jonathan) Ogden or (Tony) Boselli or Joe Thomas." From Philadelphia, where he was an outstanding prep basketball player.

Don't like it when someone like Minkah is sitting there waiting to be taken and our safeties are mediocre at best.
exacylu..
Originally posted by NCommand:
No. Kyle said he'd compete at RT.

exactly.. come on people.. stop thinking he will play inside.. Brown will get traded..

John said they had several trade offers but once MM made it past the Bears, they were all in.
  • thl408
Yeah when that happened it really helped validate MM at 9.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, the Raiders were eyeing McGlinchey and would have taken him if we didn't.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by dald1:
Ours guards still suck...

We're just trading brown for him. No improvement.

He can play inside this year, can't he?

Center? Heh, I don't know if he can play inside but why not. I think they are targeting Brown, for sure, with this pick. His Labrum tear and his weight issues may have really bothered ShanaLynch. I agree it's not a sexy pick, and it's always a good move to protect your Franchise QB. I just hope they don't ignore the edge rusher position tomorrow. I can see this guy as replacing either Brown or Staley at some point in time.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Don't like it when someone like Minkah is sitting there waiting to be taken and our safeties are mediocre at best.

Nothing mediocre about either Tartt or Colbert. They both played well despite a near total lack of pass rush. Limited body of work but the coaching staff seems to have faith in them.

The biggest need was edge rusher by far but there was no one worth taking at that spot so they went with building up an overwhelming offense.
Share 49ersWebzone