LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 164 users in the forums

Mike McGlinchey-OT-Denver Broncos

Shop 49ers game tickets
Do we feel like he can realistically play guard? If not, kind of forces us into trading Brown otherwise we basically just lose that value. If The Glinch can play LG for a year or two and we can keep Brown at tackle that gives us more options.
Originally posted by genus49:
Raiders making me feel better with that pick

Haha I was just about to say this
Yeah i totally understand the pick, i know it makes football sense, i just felt we passed on some way better players. but again, i get it lol
Originally posted by cciowa:
we better damn well take a pass rusher friday for gods sake and a linebacker,. i am trying to be calm. fine ship brown for a 6th if you can get one. maybe this guy is better at guard than any of our current ones.. i am not happy but am really trying. we have a glaring need for a pass rusher and i still think we need a inside linebacker.and a cornerback. they better be our next three picks

I look at it this way.

The 49ers went out this offseason and spent a whole lot of money on Garoppolo, Richburg and McKinnon. A whole lot of money. Kyle wants to run his entire offense, be able to pass the ball and rush the ball in every direction.

Brown couldn't hack it as a run blocker in this scheme, just wasn't a good fit.

McGlinchey is the most polished tackle in this draft, the most ready to start Week 1 and a dominant run blocker. All the Notre Dame linemen that have come out in recent years have all been well coached, with very good technique and fundamentals, they have been game ready and McGlinchey is no exception. You insert him into the lineup at right tackle and now Kyle can play with all his toys so to speak, call whatever plays he wants and have them be executed at a fairly high level.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by cciowa:
we better damn well take a pass rusher friday for gods sake and a linebacker,. i am trying to be calm. fine ship brown for a 6th if you can get one. maybe this guy is better at guard than any of our current ones.. i am not happy but am really trying. we have a glaring need for a pass rusher and i still think we need a inside linebacker.and a cornerback. they better be our next three picks

I get how you're feeling, it's not sexy and its not an immediate need, but Brown reportedly is in terrible shape so i expect him to be shipped and have mcglinchey start at RT.

The Glinch who stole Christmas! I love the pick. Staley is old. Brown may be out of shape. You can't gamble at tackle and you must protect Jimmy G.
  • Stud
Good pick. The next person that complaines about this pick an angel loses a wing and I get cancer in my testicles.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Yeah i totally understand the pick, i know it makes football sense, i just felt we passed on some way better players. but again, i get it lol

I hope we find a way to trade Trent Brown even though his value now dipped big time. I've made peace with Landry not being a 49er but the more he falls...if we can find a way to move up that would be amazing.
I was hoping for the guard in round 2. Still a chance it could happen. Hoping that somehow we can pull out Evans (unlikely) or get some other help at LB.
Raiders calling for Mckenzies head makes me feel better. Lol
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Methinks Trent Brown is not a 49er in the next 24 or so hours

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I look at it this way.

The 49ers went out this offseason and spent a whole lot of money on Garoppolo, Richburg and McKinnon. A whole lot of money. Kyle wants to run his entire offense, be able to pass the ball and rush the ball in every direction.

Brown couldn't hack it as a run blocker in this scheme, just wasn't a good fit.

McGlinchey is the most polished tackle in this draft, the most ready to start Week 1 and a dominant run blocker. All the Notre Dame linemen that have come out in recent years have all been well coached, with very good technique and fundamentals, they have been game ready and McGlinchey is no exception. You insert him into the lineup at right tackle and now Kyle can play with all his toys so to speak, call whatever plays he wants and have them be executed at a fairly high level.

Nice post.
I was completely stunned when they made the pick. But think it was a reach. The real question is, with Raiders liking Miller, they probably were targeting Mike but we beat them to the punch. If Roquan was on the board, would we have still went Mike? The Zone would have been down for a while after that.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I was hoping for the guard in round 2. Still a chance it could happen. Hoping that somehow we can pull out Evans (unlikely) or get some other help at LB.

Guard? we have Beadles, Garnett and the new guy from Dallas.. lets go WR.. or Pass rusher. we need someone to get after the QB really bad!!
Nice and safe pick.
Originally posted by kazak13:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Guard? we have Beadles, Garnett and the new guy from Dallas.. lets go WR.. or Pass rusher. we need someone to get after the QB really bad!!

We still need an OG
Share 49ersWebzone