There are 266 users in the forums

Mike McGlinchey-OT-Denver Broncos

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
It was a gut-punch when we drafted him over future hall of famer derwin.
  • dj43
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Just a question I really don't know the answer to:

Would McG be better at Guard??

No. If anyone moves into guard, it would be Brunskill. He played there a bit in pre-season and did very well. I expect him to unseat Person next season.
Originally posted by dj43:

No. If anyone moves into guard, it would be Brunskill. He played there a bit in pre-season and did very well. I expect him to unseat Person next season.

Yup this whether some like it or not
Originally posted by jcs:

He's 6-8 290 and stiff....I have my doubts but he is clearly struggling at OT.

Yeah - he definitely stiff.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by jcs:
This guy blows in pass protection, has seriously regressed this season and looks and plays way to stiff

He's def having a sophomore slump. We needed this guy to have a really good year and he just isn't. They should let Brunskill play until McG unseats him.

I swear I never heard the phrase "sophomore slump" in the NFL until Shanahan needed an excuse for why second-year players were regressing last year.

There is no rationale outside of maybe the Quarterback position as to why a player would get WORSE after their rookie year. The second season is when players adjust to the game speed and become more comfortable/conditioned to the NFL.

There's no reason why this guy should be regressing outside of maybe being slow coming off the injury.

To be fair, I thought having him and Staley come back after long-term injuries when the line was playing so well without them was a very poor choice on the coaching staff. They should have kept Bruns and Skule in there and just considered rotated these guys in if they were struggling.

The line was the worst it's been all season, against a s**tty Seattle defense. That along with the drops are the main culprits for the loss.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I swear I never heard the phrase "sophomore slump" in the NFL until Shanahan needed an excuse for why second-year players were regressing last year.

There is no rationale outside of maybe the Quarterback position as to why a player would get WORSE after their rookie year. The second season is when players adjust to the game speed and become more comfortable/conditioned to the NFL.

There's no reason why this guy should be regressing outside of maybe being slow coming off the injury.

To be fair, I thought having him and Staley come back after long-term injuries when the line was playing so well without them was a very poor choice on the coaching staff. They should have kept Bruns and Skule in there and just considered rotated these guys in if they were struggling.

The line was the worst it's been all season, against a s**tty Seattle defense. That along with the drops are the main culprits for the loss.

What? How the f**k have you never heard of the phrase sophomore slump before?
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

What? How the f**k have you never heard of the phrase sophomore slump before?

In college academics, and other areas, for sure...

The progress leap from Year 1 to Year 2 in the NFL is usually the biggest in a player's career because of acclimating to the pro level. There are far too many high picks on this team who are just crappy players where they apply that term.

McGlinchey was good in his rookie year. Not spectacular. Solid player. But I don't know that his deficiency as a pass blocker is remotely related to a slump, or anything other than him not being good at it.
This guy has had a really mediocre year, even before injury he gave up huge f**king hurries and sacks in the Steelers game, Jimmy was getting murdered.
Trent Brown coulda blocked Clowney
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This guy has had a really mediocre year, even before injury he gave up huge f**king hurries and sacks in the Steelers game, Jimmy was getting murdered.

Yup. Have to get Brunskill back out there. More dependable.

Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Yup. Have to get Brunskill back out there. More dependable.

I thought I read a stat somewhere, that said Brunskill has given up 0 pressures/hit on the passing downs. ?
It's like he forgot how to pass block this year. My goodness. I thought he was really good as a rookie last year in both run and pass blocking.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's like he forgot how to pass block this year. My goodness. I thought he was really good as a rookie last year in both run and pass blocking.

No. PP was always an issue with him
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
He is straight trash. He cannot pass protect to save his balls.

Oh and it didn't just start this game because he is fresh off an injury.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

No. PP was always an issue with him

Maybe so. But I don't think it was anywhere near this bad. He regressed badly IMO. He can be kind of a bulldozer in the run game. Plus he has a huge, tall, long frame. So I do have to give him that. I have to look at it on balance. He does have some good things. Some things you can't even teach like enormous size.
Share 49ersWebzone