LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 207 users in the forums

Mike McGlinchey-OT-Denver Broncos

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Some people will refuse to believe he's a better fit and has actually played well, simply because they didn't like the draft pick...he clearly belongs and isn't a liability at all.

I wasn't a fan of the pick at first but I'm not gonna try and find every little reason to prove why he shouldn't have been the pick.

Brown is a good fit for what New England runs, McGlinchey is a better fit in this offense. As time goes on and McGlinchey gains experience, he'll continue to improve as a run and pass blocker.

I liked Brown, but once he showed up at 380+ pounds, it seems clear that ShanaLynch were ready to move on. Ultimately in this offense you need two tackles who can really move and regularly get out to the second level. That is just what McGlinchey did against Detroit.

Agreed, I think Mike has been doing a hell of a job...rookie tackles that can step in from day 1 and produce are getting harder and harder to find.

I was always a big brown supporter but he clearly didn't get the memo from the coaching staff....He's been okay for NE but if Oaklandniner is gonna call out Mitch he'd better do the same for Brown because theirs plenty of blown plays from him this yr it hasn't been consistent good play at all...and like you said better scheme fit for both players period. We got compensation from him rather than watching leave for FA in a yr bonus.

Not having Brown on the team hasn't been a issue at all.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 21, 2018 at 7:28 AM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Some people will refuse to believe he's a better fit and has actually played well, simply because they didn't like the draft pick...he clearly belongs and isn't a liability at all.

I wasn't a fan of the pick at first but I'm not gonna try and find every little reason to prove why he shouldn't have been the pick.

Brown is a good fit for what New England runs, McGlinchey is a better fit in this offense. As time goes on and McGlinchey gains experience, he'll continue to improve as a run and pass blocker.

I liked Brown, but once he showed up at 380+ pounds, it seems clear that ShanaLynch were ready to move on. Ultimately in this offense you need two tackles who can really move and regularly get out to the second level. That is just what McGlinchey did against Detroit.

Agreed, I think Mitch has been doing a hell of a job...rookie tackles that can step in from day 1 and produce are getting harder and harder to find.

I was always a big brown supporter but he clearly didn't get the memo from the coaching staff....He's been okay for NE but if Oaklandniner is gonna call out Mitch he'd better do the same for Brown because theirs plenty of blown plays from him this yr it hasn't been consistent good play at all...and like you said better scheme fit for both players period. We got compensation from him rather than watching leave for FA in a yr bonus.

Who is Mitch?
Originally posted by Nuns:

Agreed, I think Mitch has been doing a hell of a job...rookie tackles that can step in from day 1 and produce are getting harder and harder to find.

Who is Mitch?

Mike my bad..that's what happens when you mix Mike and McGlinchey lol you get Mitch! Sorry didn't have my coffee yet
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 21, 2018 at 7:35 AM ]
One thing nobody can complain about is the run game. OL has been doing a damn good job.

Feel bad for Saquan constantly running into brick walls. Penn State has a better line than the Giants.
I thought fir sure when this thread was bumped that the masses had now moved on to trashing this guy
Originally posted by Heroism:
One thing nobody can complain about is the run game. OL has been doing a damn good job.

And that is with a brutal run in game 1. Since then, they have done an outstanding job in the run game.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Hell yes, you should be able to watch Brieda run on the right side and understand why we moved on from Trent and drafted McGlinchey.

He's on his way to being a huge asset in the run game (though I have seen a couple of blown assignments) the future is bright.
I dont think the knock is on McGlinchey it was the fact that we had Trent Brown who didnt perform poorly at all and he is in fact become one of the better pass blocking RTs in the NFL. IMO the pick was more of a luxury for what we needed at the time. Im not saying anything negative about McGlinchey he has played about as well as you would expect especially for a rookie. The fact that we paid Garappolo and our pass blocking leaves something to be desired is what is driving the notion that getting rid of Brown wasnt necessarily the best move to make. However I am happy with Big Mike he looks like he will be a longtime fixture on the o-line and you can never have too many great o-linemen we just need to really look at the guard spots, pass-rush and safety positions.

Originally posted by SF9er05:
I dont think the knock is on McGlinchey it was the fact that we had Trent Brown who didnt perform poorly at all and he is in fact become one of the better pass blocking RTs in the NFL. IMO the pick was more of a luxury for what we needed at the time. Im not saying anything negative about McGlinchey he has played about as well as you would expect especially for a rookie. The fact that we paid Garappolo and our pass blocking leaves something to be desired is what is driving the notion that getting rid of Brown wasnt necessarily the best move to make. However I am happy with Big Mike he looks like he will be a longtime fixture on the o-line and you can never have too many great o-linemen we just need to really look at the guard spots, pass-rush and safety positions.

Everyone thought that on draft day, but it's blatantly obvious why it was done and how it will benefit us, yet people are still whining.

You don't even have to look at McGlinchey, just look at Tomlinson's first 6 or 7 games compared to now. The guy can move and has clearly bought in to Kyle's vision. Trent just didn't.

Its not a luxury when you have a tackle that can't do what your offense requires. A 380lb tackle in a stretch ZBS does not work.

I noticed that you wrote "pass blocking RT." What about his run blocking? A tackle has to do both and McGlinchey has been doing things in the run game that Brown flat out just isn't physically capable of doing.

For this scheme you really need two athletic tackles who can move well laterally and have the necessary quickness to get out to the second level. In that regard, McGlinchey is just a better overall fit.

Its not a luxury when you have a tackle that can't do what your offense requires. A 380lb tackle in a stretch ZBS does not work.

I noticed that you wrote "pass blocking RT." What about his run blocking? A tackle has to do both and McGlinchey has been doing things in the run game that Brown flat out just isn't physically capable of doing.

For this scheme you really need two athletic tackles who can move well laterally and have the necessary quickness to get out to the second level. In that regard, McGlinchey is just a better overall fit.

But at what expense? so your willing to sacrifice pass protection for a more lucrative run game? what Im saying is that Brown's run blocking wasnt horrific esp when the entire right side paired with subpar center play wasnt good in the run game. So yes it was more of a luxury pick esp when you look at the other glaring needs. Again Im not saying Mike was a bad pick, he is playing well, however that pick could have been used on other areas and perhaps after this season we could have looked at right tackle/left tackle of the future. The move to me signaled that of a team that was full of talent, but as you can see we are in year 2 and still in need of plenty of talent. I believe the Jimmy G excitement has a lot of us thinking or feeling like we have a playoff roster when we need to be adding talent before we start to subtract. By this logic we should have drafted Derwin James and traded Jimmy Ward because he would be a better fit, and upgrade over both Ward and Colbert. You see what Im saying?

Mike really hasn't been a weak spot in pass blocking either....they were never keeping brown who's playing in a contract yr. dude showed up fat as s**t two yrs in a row.

I was pissed over the move but I love it now. I would never call getting a good young tackle a luxury.
But at what expense? so your willing to sacrifice pass protection for a more lucrative run game? what Im saying is that Brown's run blocking wasnt horrific esp when the entire right side paired with subpar center play wasnt good in the run game. So yes it was more of a luxury pick esp when you look at the other glaring needs. Again Im not saying Mike was a bad pick, he is playing well, however that pick could have been used on other areas and perhaps after this season we could have looked at right tackle/left tackle of the future. The move to me signaled that of a team that was full of talent, but as you can see we are in year 2 and still in need of plenty of talent. I believe the Jimmy G excitement has a lot of us thinking or feeling like we have a playoff roster when we need to be adding talent before we start to subtract. By this logic we should have drafted Derwin James and traded Jimmy Ward because he would be a better fit, and upgrade over both Ward and Colbert. You see what Im saying?

Brown has been an outstanding pass blocker and an atrocious run blocker. The numbers and game film bare that out with outside zone runs to the right averaging half of what they did to the left last year. The hope was that as he lost weight, he would improve his mobility and quickness and thus be able to do better as a run blocker. Instead of losing weight, he gained 30 pounds. At that point its pretty apparent now that they decided that there was no way they were going to commit to him long term. So either this year or next year, it was going to be a major need.

If you're saying that being able to run the full offense and run the ball equally well to the left and to the right was a "luxury", I just can't agree with you. Historically we've seen that when everyone blocks like they are supposed to and they all do their jobs the right way, this scheme can produce monster results on the ground and we are starting to see that this season. Last year the OL was like the island of misfit toys, this year they added a center and a right tackle who are great scheme fits. Its not a shock that the run game looks a lot better all of a sudden. Really all they are lacking is a legit right guard.
Share 49ersWebzone