There are 141 users in the forums

Montana the 🐐

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
We need this old shirt Joe wore

https://www.reddit.com/r/49ers/comments/avrf8y/i_spent_all_night_recreating_this_amazing_tshirt/

bought one of those today thanks to this post.

Thanks!
Brady > Montana
Montana was a super bowl champion 46% or his snaps as a 49er QB. Brady 35% of snaps as Patriots QB

Motana>Brady
[ Edited by trenfoight on Mar 6, 2019 at 8:09 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Google it.

And what proof was there of Brady cheating? Just a lot of BS from the NFL to sway public opinion including false stories later retracted with no real error acknowledged.

Every single text they had from Brady was him asking for the balls to be at the low end of the LEGAL limit. Not to mention ever since they were "busted" they went to 4 SBs in 5 years and won 3 of them...

That's a laugh. Yeah....the pats and BB didn't cheat. Everyone's doing it right???

I also said the tuck rule play was a joke. EVERYBODY knew it was a fumble so the pats and Tom should of never been in the sb anyway. I never said that was cheating so don't know what point you were even trying to make. The raiders should of been in it, but hey, some people just don't want to accept reality. Let me guess the rams deserved to have an nfc championship ring too 😂

The pats did cheat. You can't deny that. Videotaping...done deal. It's silly to even try to defend the pats and their history of breaking the rules.

You also mentioned the niners didn't win since 1994....well I guess you must of forgot a few things.
We no longer had Montana. Don't you think that would of helped? Steve struggled against Dallas and Gb. You are wrong by implying since the salary cap the niners didn't win again. You couldn't be more wrong. We were great in 1990s with Steve Young (after the salary cap) and we had a terrific defense with Stubblefield and young and a great team. If we had a healthy team with young and Garrison Hearst we would've beat Atlanta and then Denver in the sb. So we would've had another Super Bowl.

Also you might want to consider that Green Bay and Dallas were ridiculously good as well so the salary cap point you're making is way off, they were just healthier teams at that point and Dallas was better for quite a few years. Same with Green Bay, Atlanta was almost as good as well so it was more a result of the competition than salary cap violations.

Competition which New England has not had in about 20 years. Injuries have more to do with it in the salary cap era so I believe that is really reaching but you can believe whatever you want I'm sure you will

Even quite a number of New England fans don't deny new England cheated left and right as much as Some people do around here. They know they got away with a lot and should never have that many Super Bowls but oh well.
[ Edited by elguapo on Mar 8, 2019 at 10:56 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Brady > Montana

At cheating.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Mar 9, 2019 at 8:08 AM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Brady > Montana

This is like calling LeBron or Kobe better than Jordan.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
This is like calling LeBron or Kobe better than Jordan.

It's more Kobe. Lebron is a different type of player who you could legit make a case for. Much like if Aaron wins a couple more there is a legit case there. Aaron is so much more physically gifted then Brady it's not funny.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Mar 9, 2019 at 9:50 AM ]
Argue all u want so called die hard 49ers fans you never turn on your guy. To me Joe "Cool" Montana will FOREVER be my GOAT. Brady will always take a backseat to Montana everyday of the week, this is where the homer card should come to play for EVERYONE.

Joe Montana > Tom Brady

[ Edited by Tru2RedNGold25 on Mar 9, 2019 at 9:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Argue all u want so called die hard 49ers fans you never turn on your guy. To me Joe "Cool" Montana will FOREVER be my GOAT. Brady will always take a backseat to Montana everyday of the week, this is where the homer card should come to play for EVERYONE.

Joe Montana > Tom Brady

Still the greatest ever and he made it look the best. Rewatch some of those 80s 49ers games and tell me he doesn't make it look better than anyone else. Tom is great Joe is Joe.
Originally posted by cciowa:
had we kept joe and traded young to the chiefs for thomas... joe and our team would have won two more super bowls in my opinion. maybe, just maybe, with joe around we could have kept haley. who hated young

I disagree. Team was at a crossroads then. Joe was nearing the end. Kept getting hurt. Nearly got murdered in the 1990 Playoff game vs the Giants. Was time to pass the torch. Steve did great. Haley was out bro. Walsh was done with his ass after he pulled his tantrum on Jerry. Took a long time for Haley to heal his hate for us. Dude was pissing on people's cars, taking swings at Rhodes and Seifert? The last straw was Haley going after Jerry. Bill had to get him out of there.

Also no way was KC going to trade Thomas. I doubt for Steve young straight.

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

Joe Montana > Tom Brady

Two different eras IMO. Not fair at all to compare Montana to Brady especially without Bradshaw mentioned too. My brother grew up watching all of them. It's very interesting hearing him and my pops rave about Bradshaw and how sick he was back in the day.
Easily you can have GOATS for eras but I don't think it's fair to compare as the game has always evolved. But Joe would have a leg up on this day in age simply put now it's a heavy passing league where it wasn't during Joe's time. Just watch the 84 super bowl and Joe's greatness shines throughout. Simply amazing he was.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Two different eras IMO. Not fair at all to compare Montana to Brady especially without Bradshaw mentioned too. My brother grew up watching all of them. It's very interesting hearing him and my pops rave about Bradshaw and how sick he was back in the day.
Easily you can have GOATS for eras but I don't think it's fair to compare as the game has always evolved. But Joe would have a leg up on this day in age simply put now it's a heavy passing league where it wasn't during Joe's time. Just watch the 84 super bowl and Joe's greatness shines throughout. Simply amazing he was.

Watching Joe back in the day was a work of art. I remember the Philly game where he got absolutely crushed by their D and somehow still pulled off a comeback win in the 4th.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by wailers15:

Watching Joe back in the day was a work of art. I remember the Philly game where he got absolutely crushed by their D and somehow still pulled off a comeback win in the 4th.
This!
I doubt few current QBs could have survived the incredible beating Joe took in that game, on that painted concrete they called "turf" at The Vet. Then picked himself up, put the team on his back and pulled off an incredible comeback for the ages. Look it up and see what a real GOAT looks like.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by theduke85:
The problem with your argument is that the 49ers were one of the Super Teams. You're making it sound like they were at a disadvantage. No, they weren't. The 49ers were one of the fortunate teams with an advantage. The other Super Teams were their equals. The 49ers talent dwarfed over tons of lesser teams.
The 49ers had to overcome other super teams, the Bears Defense and Walter Payton, the Giants with LT, the Dallas Cowboys, the Redskins. You make it sound like the Niners were a super team that never encountered another super team and that's your fallacy. Yes, the average franchises were never going to make it to the play-offs in the NFC (the AFC was full of average franchises) but the teams that won the Super Bowl in that era had to make it past 2 or 3 other Super teams to get there - the NFC championship was the real Superbowl.
How do you read my paragraph and come away making the "logical fallacy" claim? I did not say other Super Teams didn't exist. In fact, I didn't say anything remotely close to that. My point is that the 49ers were a juggernaut themselves, they're not at a disadvantage going up against other juggernauts. It's a heavyweight bout, not David vs. Goliath.

People love to talk about how great Montana was in the Super Bowls (against weaker AFC opponents). They also love to ignore some of his complete dud performances (like against the Giants, or getting benched versus the Vikings).

Think about like this: the 49ers and the Giants met two years in a row in the playoffs, and Montana was absolutely annihilated both times (combined he had 0 TD, 3 INT). Hypothetically, let's say the Giants played in the AFC. Do you think if the 49ers played the Giants in the Super Bowl that Montana would've magically elevated his game and remained "perfect" against them (both statistically, and in terms of wins-losses)? Sadly, people are so blinded by homerism that many people on here will answer "yes" to that question.

This is why I cannot stand this preposterous argument that Montana elevated his game to new heights for the Super Bowl. He didn't have a "sixth gear" he saved for the SB. If this sixth gear existed, why didn't he use it against the Giants or Vikings in the playoffs? It's because a sixth gear didn't exist. A magical fairy doesn't come along and sprinkle magical abilities on a player when the SB comes along. It's just an irrational argument that fan boys throw out there to mythicize him.
The parity of today means its rare to see stacked teams and that also means that luck, good days and bad days can tilt the result and end in a better team going out in the play-offs for one bad performance because that margin between the two is less. That's not true of the era before the salary cap.
But this is a double-edged sword you're swinging. The 2007 Patriots lost the Super Bowl to a Wild Card Giants team (thanks in large part to the fluke helmet catch by David Tyree). Sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts. It doesn't make winning "easier" or "harder". I'm sure there are teams when the parity has allowed the Patriots to squeak by when they shouldn't have, but conversely there are times they've been burned by it too.

Not having a salary cap is absolutely an advantage. Only a handful of teams will benefit from having owners willing to spend a lot. All teams are affected by parity.
Joe was terrific and he will always be my favorite QB but I think the whole GOAT argument is a little silly. To quote Paul Simon, "every generation throws a hero up the pop charts". The league has gone through a number of cycles of change and every era has produced at least one QB that was better than most of his contemporaries. Joe was the best QB of his generation. Tom Brady has been the best QB of his generation. Unitas was probably the best of his. Each has their own particular skill set that suited the era they in played whether or not those skills would have transferred to another era is hard to say. I remember seeing Unitas play on TV when I was a kid but before him there was a player named Otto Graham who I never saw. He took the Cleveland Browns to 10 straight titles games between 1946 and 1955 and won 7 of them. The Browns record was 114-20-4 during his career and at one time he held most of the league's passing records. Apparently he still holds the career records for average passing yards per attempt and winning percentage and was, by most accounts, the most dominant player of his generation. Seems to me that he has as good a claim to being the greatest player of all time as anyone, but because most fans today have never seen him play he is left out of the Brady Vs Montana comparisons.

What Brady has accomplished in his career has been pretty impressive but I would still take Joe over him for the following reasons. Like Brady, Montana threw with terrific anticipation and accuracy but he was much tougher and more mobile (before his injuries) and played in an era that didn't protect the QB's like they do in the modern game. I think Montana flourishes in this era but don't think that Brady does nearly as well in league where defensive players could nearly rip your head off and not get flagged. If a defensive player looks at Brady the wrong way he starts calling for a flag. Also Joe at 38 or so went to a Chiefs team that had much less talent than the 49ers teams he had played for and still took them to a Division Championship game. Trade Brady to the Dolphins and see how well he fares. If he can take them to a Championship game then maybe I'll concede that he is in the same league as Joe. Until then Joe remains the guy.
Share 49erswebzone