LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Montana the 🐐

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by genus49:
I'm not one to usually agree with him but come on....

We all love Joe and we all love the niners but at some point let's give respect where it's due. Also don't forget Brady grew up a huge niners fan. Not his fault our own genius didn't see what makes him tick and took Gio Carmazzi over him

Tom Brady has accomplished things that nobody has come even close to. I don't have an issue with people saying Joe played in a different era so you can't compare but as good as Joe was there were things that went in his favor and he was in a great situation for him to have success. Same as Brady in his era but he was dealing with his own challenges and his own benefits but you had Terry Bradshaw also going 4-0 in SBs.

Nobody is close to 9 SB trips(considering that's more than any other franchise not called the Pats) and 6 SB wins is more than any other player.

Shouldn't be anything wrong with saying Brady is the GOAT just cuz it's the 49ers forum.

Bill Russell has more finals trips and titles then any NBA player. Yogi Berra has more World Series trips and titles then any baseball player. Are they both the GOATS in their sports?

Could Tom Brady win 11 games with a head coach that never coached above the high school level?
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Feb 27, 2019 at 10:31 AM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

We all love Joe and we all love the niners but at some point let's give respect where it's due. Also don't forget Brady grew up a huge niners fan. Not his fault our own genius didn't see what makes him tick and took Gio Carmazzi over him

Tom Brady has accomplished things that nobody has come even close to. I don't have an issue with people saying Joe played in a different era so you can't compare but as good as Joe was there were things that went in his favor and he was in a great situation for him to have success. Same as Brady in his era but he was dealing with his own challenges and his own benefits but you had Terry Bradshaw also going 4-0 in SBs.

Nobody is close to 9 SB trips(considering that's more than any other franchise not called the Pats) and 6 SB wins is more than any other player.

Shouldn't be anything wrong with saying Brady is the GOAT just cuz it's the 49ers forum.

Bill Russell has more finals trips then any NBA player. Yogi Berra has more World Series trips then any baseball player. Are they both the GOATS in their sports?

It's harder to win SBs in this era so your analogy isn't very good. The old timers played in leagues with few teams so getting to the big dance isn't difficult. Also comparing sports where you have series in the playoffs is a poor analogy. And any Yankee being brought up automatically nullifies your point when talking about greatness

Brady also happens to be top 3 in most key passing categories and will likely finish his career 1/2 in most of them unless he completely falls off next season.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Bill Russell has more finals trips and titles then any NBA player. Yogi Berra has more World Series trips and titles then any baseball player. Are they both the GOATS in their sports?

Could Tom Brady win 11 games with a head coach that never coached above the high school level?

Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I didnt know brady changed his last name.

Yoi should receive a lifetime ban from this forum for that remark. For real.

I'm not joking. Where do I sign the petition?

Originally posted by English:
Bearing in mind which forum you are in, this one is asking for trouble.

Going to have to agree to differ on this. The Brady vs Montana argument has been done to death in this forum, but this is not that thread.
Originally posted by English:
Going to have to agree to differ on this. The Brady vs Montana argument has been done to death in this forum, but this is not that thread.

I know...I try to ignore these but I will admit I'm a Tom Brady fan boy. I will take my wares elsewhere now lol.
I never seen Montana play; therefore, the GOAT is Young!
People who think Tom Brady is a better player than Joe Montana are probably the same people that think Lebron James is the best basketball player of all time.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
People who think Tom Brady is a better player than Joe Montana are probably the same people that think Lebron James is the best basketball player of all time.

Because he is the goat.
It's harder to win SBs in this era so your analogy isn't very good. The old timers played in leagues with few teams so getting to the big dance isn't difficult. Also comparing sports where you have series in the playoffs is a poor analogy. And any Yankee being brought up automatically nullifies your point when talking about greatness

Brady also happens to be top 3 in most key passing categories and will likely finish his career 1/2 in most of them unless he completely falls off next season.

I disagree that it's harder to win SB's in this era. Because you didn't have a salary cap and free agency for much of Montana's career made it easier to stockpile talent. But the Niners weren't the only ones. The Giants, Cowboys, Redskins, Packers and Bears all had some great teams back then and would very likely beat the Patriots of today. The talent is spread thinner and there is more balance today but no real super teams. Don't be fooled by stats of today . Everything is geared toward the offense so many of today's QB's have better stats than Montana or his peers. Are you going to tell me that Matt Stafford is better than Montana. Just because Brady has been to more SB's doesn't make him greater. It means his team plays in a weak division and the weaker conference so it is actually easier to get there.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

Uhm..he retired a Chief....

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fropwns:

never should have happened in my opinion. we traded the wrong qb

It's not a poor analogy at all. With qbs it's always about how many titles they won. Yet Bill Russell, in a game where one player actually affects the entirety of the game, isn't credited as goat for winning far more titles then any other player. It makes zero sense.

And the it's harder to win now stuff is bunk. Hardest thing to do now is play defense. Bellicheck has shown his greatness by adapting to all the rules that screw defenses over. Playing qb today is the easiest it's ever been.

Bellicheck won 11 games with a guy who started zero college games. Give him a Matt Ryan for 15 years he's got a great shot at 6 SBs too. Pats are an 8-8 team next year if Bill walked away tomorrow.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Feb 27, 2019 at 12:17 PM ]
English can I play?
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by fropwns:

never should have happened in my opinion. we traded the wrong qb

We won another Super Bowl with Steve. Montana got to the AFC Championship game against the Bills and got laid out. Look, I love the guy, I really do, but Steve Young gave us everything he had to still deny him today is just foolish.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I disagree that it's harder to win SB's in this era. Because you didn't have a salary cap and free agency for much of Montana's career made it easier to stockpile talent. But the Niners weren't the only ones. The Giants, Cowboys, Redskins, Packers and Bears all had some great teams back then and would very likely beat the Patriots of today. The talent is spread thinner and there is more balance today but no real super teams. Don't be fooled by stats of today . Everything is geared toward the offense so many of today's QB's have better stats than Montana or his peers. Are you going to tell me that Matt Stafford is better than Montana. Just because Brady has been to more SB's doesn't make him greater. It means his team plays in a weak division and the weaker conference so it is actually easier to get there.

The product was less watered down, more teams = less talent per team.
Share 49ersWebzone