There are 231 users in the forums

Jerick 'Jet' McKinnon is a Chief.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ers90sBaby:
He was not worth that money , the other two do the same if not better and they are getting paid less. Not discrediting him, hes a good player but 30 million for an unproven player is crazy.

I don't think he was either...he most certainly isn't getting $30M though (more like $15M).

I do understand the signing from a football perspective...he allows kyle a ton of flexibility in play-calling and keeping a certain personnel on the field without tipping off the play.

ALSO Breida was awful as a pass-catching back in 2017 and SF didn't think they would end up with Coleman a yr later (at that price). His high salary was in 2018 might as well see if we can get any return this yr, if not cut him after the season and move on.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 26, 2019 at 1:45 PM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
He was not worth that money , the other two do the same if not better and they are getting paid less. Not discrediting him, hes a good player but 30 million for an unproven player is crazy.

He gets 30 mill if he performs. That is the max value but there is no guarantee he sees all of that.

They were willing to get aggressive to land him because of the skill set and how it fits what Kyle wants to do. Not a lot of players available in the draft and FA each year that can be a 4 down back with good pass pro AND route running skills, in fact those free agents and draft prospects are few and far between.
He was not worth that money

Nobody in the entire NFL is worth the money they get. It's Jed's money - who cares?
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
The whole package makes him a better system fit than typical running backs. Coleman is good too.

You're dissing a good back whose fighting back from a tough injury--but to each his own.

Nobody's dissing , I'm just saying he is a great pass catcher but that's not all there is to being a rb. Hes not a good runner that's all I'm saying
Originally posted by evil:
He gets 30 mill if he performs. That is the max value but there is no guarantee he sees all of that.

They were willing to get aggressive to land him because of the skill set and how it fits what Kyle wants to do. Not a lot of players available in the draft and FA each year that can be a 4 down back with good pass pro AND route running skills, in fact those free agents and draft prospects are few and far between.

I'm not sure he is a 4 down back though
Nobody's dissing , I'm just saying he is a great pass catcher but that's not all there is to being a rb. Hes not a good runner that's all I'm saying

Love to see him in the system before saying he's an awful runner.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

He may not be. But he doesn't need to be. He already got paid - that part is over now. The remaining salary is in line with the player you're describing.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I don't think he was either...he most certainly isn't getting $30M though (more like $15M).

I do understand the signing from a football perspective...he allows kyle a ton of flexibility in play-calling and keeping a certain personnel on the field without tipping off the play.

ALSO Breida was awful as a pass-catching back in 2017 and SF didn't think they would end up with Coleman a yr later (at that price). His high salary was in 2018 might as well see if we can get any return this yr, if not cut him after the season and move on.

True Coleman was a steal , which is why I think he'll end up as the lead back. He is already familiar with Shanahans playbook too
  • evil
  • Veteran

Were there really any better options available that fit Shanahan's offensive vision?
Were there really any better options available that fit Shanahan's offensive vision?

Not last year , I agree

• evil
  • Veteran

So much this.

Want to see him operate within this scheme first and foremost. We saw 4th and 5th stringers looking decent within it last year.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Not last year , I agree

Yep, thus why his contract was structured as it was. And getting TC on the cheap gives us a plan B while still having Mostert and Brieda to share a little of the load.
Yep, thus why his contract was structured as it was. And getting TC on the cheap gives us a plan B while still having Mostert and Brieda to share a little of the load.

Not sure TC is the plan B though , that's where it gets confusing. Could Coleman be the starter and mckinnon be the back up??
I was really hoping to eat crow after complaining from the second JM signed with us that it was a terrible signing. Who knows if he is ever going to step foot on the field for us. So frustrating.

his athletic ability doesn't seem to translate into making people miss

that's my main concern
Share 49ersWebzone