There are 99 users in the forums

Weston Richburg

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He was fine to play his last yr in NY. He talked about being able to play but NY wanted to place him on IR because they sucked. He said he was never gonna resign with NY based on the way they handled him that yr (contract yr).

I tied fo tell you about Richburg when you wanted SF to sign him...when he's healthy he's better than avg he's just never healthy

Restructuring his contract means he's not going anywhere. Possible they draft a versatile interior OL just in case. Makes much more sense then taking a OT at 13 then pushing him inside

Right? We're literally discussing T to G for immediate and long term planning but Richburg's situation is no different. This could be the end for him (and Staley could play another 2 years).

If Richburg doesn't heal as expected or gets injured again, fans feel good about Garland for a long stretch of games and nobody else behind him to play C now that Person is gone?

IMHO, you can "get by" with guys such as Skule, Garland and maybe Brunskill and even Coleman, but only for so long before they really start costing you in individual play and scheme limitations.

It's too bad because for stretches, Richburg could play up to top 1/3rd of the league for sure and is pretty balanced in run/pass.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 3, 2020 at 7:14 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
You're right...had to go check. Officially, he didn't wind up on I.R. in 2017. But only played 4 games. I.R. in NY too. Semantics but thanks.

He's a pretty average C when he is healthy. And it looks like another off season of rehabbing. We paid him to be a top C so this is very disappointing, indeed.

He was fine to play his last yr in NY. He talked about being able to play but NY wanted to place him on IR because they sucked. He said he was never gonna resign with NY based on the way they handled him that yr (contract yr).

I tied fo tell you about Richburg when you wanted SF to sign him...when he's healthy he's better than avg he's just never healthy

Restructuring his contract means he's not going anywhere. Possible they draft a versatile interior OL just in case. Makes much more sense then taking a OT at 13 then pushing him inside

This is what I think will go down too NY. I can't see an OT drafted this year when we're pretty solid there personnel wise. Coleman, Brunskill and even to an extent Skule can play OT for us and hold their own. I expect improvement for all three in their play this year. Adding a versatile IOL might mean were not forced to use Brunskill at RG if Compton craps the bed and could possibly mean Brunskill even pushes Tomlinson.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
This is what I think will go down too NY. I can't see an OT drafted this year when we're pretty solid there personnel wise. Coleman, Brunskill and even to an extent Skule can play OT for us and hold their own. I expect improvement for all three in their play this year. Adding a versatile IOL might mean were not forced to use Brunskill at RG if Compton craps the bed and could possibly mean Brunskill even pushes Tomlinson.

Skule sucked in pass protection this season. We were able to gameplan around having a sieve at LT, but we're in trouble if Staley goes down again. It's a small sample, but we scored 32 pts/game in the 7 games when Staley played and 28 pts/game in the other 9 games.

"For pass-protection purposes, the 49ers will be glad to have Joe Staley back for their postseason run. Staley allowed just seven pressures in 240 pass-blocking snaps this season for a pressure rate of 2.9% that trailed only Ronnie Stanley and Taylor Lewan at left tackle. His replacement, Justin Skule, allowed a 9.2% pressure rate (fourth-worst at the position) despite Jimmy Garoppolo getting rid of the ball in less than 2.5 seconds on average with Skule in the lineup."

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/1/2/21045591/49ers-offensive-line-was-slightly-above-average-during-the-regular-season

We're solid at starting LT and RT with Staley and McGlinchey and at backup RT (Brunskill, Coleman, Skule). Ben Garland was bad at backup C (59 PFF grade) so while we have a lot of bodies, they aren't very good. Grabbing a guy who can shift to LT if Staley gets hurt (and when Staley retires) and be an above average player at G wouldn't be a bad thing.
Dream Draft.

#13 we target IOL, but #1WR is there (which several of other 1 teams have to have) so we trade down 2-3 slots and add another pick in rd 2, while still getting our guy at IOL (or OT)

#31 we target IOL , but it looks like he still will be there 2-3 picks later and we trade down, adding another pick or two, in rd 2-3...yet we still get the IOL we wanted. I can't see a better scenario for us.

Problem with this scenario: kyle can't stand it and takes #1WR at #13. Ugh!. Worse yet, kyle takes yet another WR at #31...and that is unforgivable. Ok, both are unforgivable.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 3, 2020 at 2:58 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Dream Draft.

#13 we target IOL, but #1WR is there (which several of other 1 teams have to have) so we trade down 2-3 slots and add another pick in rd 2, while still getting our guy at IOL (or OT)

#31 we target IOL , but it looks like he still will be there 2-3 picks later and we trade down, adding another pick or two, in rd 2-3...yet we still get the IOL we wanted. I can't see a better scenario for us.

Problem with this scenario: kyle can't stand it and takes #1WR at #13. Ugh!. Worse yet, kyle takes yet another WR at #31...and that is unforgivable. Ok, both are unforgivable.

Ah, not the sexiest but you seem to be thinking protecting Jimmy will be more beneficial to his production than getting him more weapons.

If it plays out like you laid out, I wouldn't be mad.

Unless Isaiah Simmons is somehow available. That guy would lockdown Murray, Wilson, and who I believe will be the AFC champions, Lamar Jackson.
Originally posted by Stanley:
Dream Draft.

Ah, not the sexiest but you seem to be thinking protecting Jimmy will be more beneficial to his production than getting him more weapons.

Unless Isaiah Simmons is somehow available. That guy would lockdown Murray, Wilson, and who I believe will be the AFC champions, Lamar Jackson.

You could always have OL then WR in a very deep WR group. We want it all.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Dream Draft.

You could always have OL then WR in a very deep WR group. We want it all.

Somehow I dont think this year's draft is that critical. I mean what are the odds of actually having a season? If the virus is till hanging around the US in summer odds are it will come on even stronger in the fall and winter subject to a cure or vaccination. Likelihood of the season starting and being played all the way through is pretty grim.

We need to concentrate on the OLine in the draft and then a decent rookie CB. Next year will also have WR. We have plenty right now
Dream Draft.

That would be ideal.....except we let sanders walk.

Now we gotta do something at wr in the draft.

Oh wait ....there's that big super secret hush hush big deal coming...forgot about that.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Somehow I dont think this year's draft is that critical. I mean what are the odds of actually having a season? If the virus is till hanging around the US in summer odds are it will come on even stronger in the fall and winter subject to a cure or vaccination. Likelihood of the season starting and being played all the way through is pretty grim.

We need to concentrate on the OLine in the draft and then a decent rookie CB. Next year will also have WR. We have plenty right now

That could certainly be another way go.

I'm certainly worried about it too...flu season comes quickly too. 6-18 months was my original guess.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Goatie:

That could certainly be another way go.

I'm certainly worried about it too...flu season comes quickly too. 6-18 months was my original guess.

They will have a vaccine later in the year which will help but it will be too late for the begining of the season and preseason. Maybe a cure all drug might be available by the preseason if they fast track trials of a couple of drugs that are already available but for dosage levels for this virus. Very uncertain times and I am very concerned that the NFL starts. If it is unlikely to start I would think it best to concentrate on OL for draft and then defense. WR are a dime a dozen and there will be plenty more coming through next year.

This is all good news for richburg, he likely has another season to recover from his tendon. Minimum extra few months.

Simmons is a freak and is worth top 3 or 5 at the very least. In his rookie year he could be the most productive player in this years draft. If he did go that high it wouldn't shock anyone. I know he won't be there at 13 but if he's around at 10 a trade up should be under consideration.
I personally don't think there's a lower leg sports injury as serious as a Patella tear. I don't think Richburg will ever be the same an I'm not sure he will be on the team come game time. It's been very rare that a football player let alone an offensive lineman has returned from patella injury. We can hear all the anecdotal "il be ready by camp" stuff we want but that's a crazy serious Injury for a 300lber.

We have got to draft some olineman
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
I personally don't think there's a lower leg sports injury as serious as a Patella tear. I don't think Richburg will ever be the same an I'm not sure he will be on the team come game time. It's been very rare that a football player let alone an offensive lineman has returned from patella injury. We can hear all the anecdotal "il be ready by camp" stuff we want but that's a crazy serious Injury for a 300lber.

We have got to draft some olineman

We all need to prepare for this.
With the Richburg restructure on his contract, he is basically not cut able for a year or two. Didn't the team restructure his contract after his injury? If so, it seems they have to think he will get back from this injury. We could pretty much get out of his deal after the 2020 season, and start saving some money if Richburg continues to be hurt, or if he comes back and is a shell of his former self.

This is why to me we need to trade down from 13, and get more round 2-4 picks. With what ever 1st round pick we slide down to from 13, that is where I would look to get a top CB, Sherman+Witherspoon are FA's, and I think we only have Moseley under control for 1 more season? CB is gonna be a huge need, with our 31 pick, I would look to get Ruiz. Ruiz can play RG if Richburg is healthy, or he can battle Garland for the Center spot if Richburg is hurt. Ruiz gives us an elite IOL going forward, and that is what we need with no current starting RG, and questions at Center. OT to me is fine right now, because we have Staley+McGlinchey, Brunskill looked good their last year, and we also have Coleman who they like, and Skule as emergency depth.
Share 49erswebzone