Weston Richburg

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
"Should be back in training camp," Richburg told NBC Sports Bay Area on the team's locker cleanout day. "I'll miss the offseason stuff but training camp should be a go."

Too bad we can't have an answer before the draft. And I still think we should draft a OG/C with pass-blocking skills.

You said the same thing last year and sure enough he came back 100%. If the staff doesn't feel he will be good to go then I'm sure they will plan accordingly

Yes I did say the same thing and we got lucky, because quite frankly per reports Kyle wasn't sure (why signed Garland, because Person can also play OC). Why is that such a difficult concept for oft injured players - luck. Jimmy Ward held up most of the season too. Who here wants to sign Ward to a 5-year deal as and depend on him as a starter? Ward even played longer that Richburg so does that mean he's suddenly durable?

Thank goodness Ben Garland was serviceable and Benson more than earned his paycheck and needs a raise. But let's not ignore that we also schemed around deficiencies too. Again, do not depend on Richburg. Draft a OG/C who can compete for starting role at RG and even compete in a year for OC. So yep, you will continue to hear me throwing all kinds of skepticism on starters in critical roles who are oft injured and when they miss time cause detriment to the team.

Ask me if I think Richburg starting in the Super Bowl would have helped our pass pro....

what does richburg starting in the SB have to do with last seasons injury and their offseason?

Bolded

Lol last seasons injury had nothing to do with this seasons. Just because you were skeptical that he was going to return last season does not equate to being lucky because he came back 100%. That's why they have medical staffs monitoring these guys.
Nor He was he injury prone prior to the quad. Now with 3 seasons being cut short by injury, yes now you can make that claim. And you won't find anyone saying they shouldn't invest in some OL. The original point of contention was you questioning him being back by TC, I simply pointed out you were saying the same thing last year and were wrong.
The passing game suffered when we lost Richburg, especially with Kittle having to block more
I think we can all agree they need to add some IOL talent and a future replacement at C with Richburg questionable health
Wow, back for training camp is huge. Must have been a minor version of that injury.
I think we can all agree they need to add some IOL talent and a future replacement at C with Richburg questionable health

Interior OL specifically a guard that can play center or vice versa is our number 1 priority. Over cb and s imo. Also, guards and centers usually are a later drafted position usually so at the end of the first round or if we trade down we may be able to get a top 3 player
Are we positive Staley is coming back? If he isn't is Skule the guy? It's something that can't be ignored.

I agree that interior O line is priority #1. Jimmy ain't getting any more mobile, and you can only scheme around it for so long.
[ Edited by Faithful4ever on Feb 13, 2020 at 4:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Faithful4ever:
Are we positive Staley is coming back?

Yes. He's been very clear that he wants to play through the end of his contract (two more seasons, theough 2021 season).
What you are describing is not luck
First I'm hearing that Kyle wasn't sure. And if he wasn't sure and thought he needed a new C, Garland was the plan? Doubt it. Very good backup, but I'm sure that would not have been plan A if there was serious concerns about Richburgs return.... which was proven when he returned 100%

Sorry Hoov, but Garland was signed (April 23rd) during the mid off season because we weren't sure when Richburg would be back. He was due to miss and did miss all of TC. Garland was our camp starter at center and playing throughout most of the pre-season. In fact Kyle wasn't sure when Richburg would be back 100% and there was speculation he might not return until a couple of games in. I was right in that I didn't expect Richburg to be healthy by pre-season but was wrong about him missing real games. And yes we were lucky about his timing because even "monitored" no one predicted his actual return timing. So it's crazy to think simply because we have medical folks monitoring an injured player, doesn't mean they can accurately predict when a player will return and if he will be productive. Exhibit A: Jerrick McKinnon and on the opposite end of the spectrum Exhibit B: Kwon Alexander

Lol last seasons injury had nothing to do with this seasons. Just because you were skeptical that he was going to return last season does not equate to being lucky because he came back 100%. That's why they have medical staffs monitoring these guys.
Nor He was he injury prone prior to the quad. Now with 3 seasons being cut short by injury, yes now you can make that claim. And you won't find anyone saying they shouldn't invest in some OL. The original point of contention was you questioning him being back by TC, I simply pointed out you were saying the same thing last year and were wrong.

Of course one injury unlikely will affect another however a player's overall propensity to be injured is what I question like, Jimmy Ward (didn't have to go far for that one). I'm not saying Richburg is Ward, but an oft-injured Safety is one thing, an oft-injured guy who is only second in importance to the offense outside of the QB is another. It's funny that you can set the criteria for oft-injured at 3 seasons opposed to 2. I guess someone could make the case that it should 4, 5, or 6. Regardless since being a 49ers he has only played 13 games mostly healthy. His first season, as many have pointed out, he was not healthy which many here was indicative by his subpar play (2018).

The 49ers are good enough to be in the Super Bowl again. This is their window. I want players - especially in critical positions like EDGE, QB, Center, who Kyle can depend on being their for a full season healthy for ONCE, where he doesn't have to scheme around, keep his All-World TE to help block because he's dealing with yet another oft-injured player projected as a starter.

Which is again why I'm questioning him being by TC because I question him being back 100% by last season and was wrong because he beat it by the buzzer throughout a whole off-season of uncertainty. As much as I'd like to say that's a win Hoov, it's not and me being right or wrong doesn't serve the 49ers as a team well if they again put all their trust in a player who has yet to play a full season healthy for them at a critical spot.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Feb 13, 2020 at 6:53 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'm not a big Richburg fan. I don't think he's worth his contract. But the reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated. Yes, a patellar tendon rupture is a difficult injury. But he will be fine. This isn't 1985.

He should be cleared for TC if he is following a standard recovery timeline. It's true he may not feel 100% until November. But that is a far cry from "his career is done".
Originally posted by elguapo:
Interior OL specifically a guard that can play center or vice versa is our number 1 priority. Over cb and s imo. Also, guards and centers usually are a later drafted position usually so at the end of the first round or if we trade down we may be able to get a top 3 player

This

Hell to the yes.
Originally posted by captveg:
Wow, back for training camp is huge. Must have been a minor version of that injury.

I badly want to believe this but we know how these things go. But like last year, I genuinely expect him back for week 1 and play himself into shape.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by elguapo:

This

LV if it comes down to the second best safety available and the second best G/C who do we take? Assuming Ward stays. If Ward leaves we have Moore so I think the interior is a little more important especially with Donald twice a year and other good dts we have always had trouble handling. It throws off our offense
Ee draft the best c/g we can round 1. No question.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Hope Richburg comes back stronger than ever.
Share 49erswebzone