LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Our safeties

Shop Find 49ers gear online
S is a need.

Reid will not be back. Ward should be cut, as there is no need to overpay for someone who is clearly not a fit and on the bubble.

That leaves Tartt and a 7th round rookie on the roster. Tartt has one year left on his contract.

I honestly and strongly think Derwin James will be strongly in play for the 49ers for #1, especially with a strong combine.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
S is a need.

That leaves Tartt and a 7th round rookie on the roster. Tartt has one year left on his contract.

What does it matter that Colbert is a seventh rounder?
And in regards to where contracts stand, you'll start seeing player extensions after the Superbowl. Where they stand now has little bearing on the future. Things will begin to pick up quickly once the Superbowl concludes.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 3, 2018 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
S is a need.

I'm disappointed in you Hero. You were perfectly setup for this....
  • evil
  • Veteran
S is a need.

Reid will not be back. Ward should be cut, as there is no need to overpay for someone who is clearly not a fit and on the bubble.

I honestly and strongly think Derwin James will be strongly in play for the 49ers for #1, especially with a strong combine.

Exactly why we do not need a safety at 9/10 or even in the first couple maybe even few of rounds this year. We may even look to add a vet via FA to provide depth and potentially push JT.

Tartt did enough to be the penciled in starter in 2018. If it does not work out, we can find a Safety in FA or the draft next year. If it does work out we can sign JT long term.

We have more pressing needs and there will probably be higher rated prospects on the board when we pick at 9/10.
S is a need.

It matters because he has a raging woody for Derwin James,lol.
S is a need.

I think the coaches have probably decided to keep Ward at least through next year. My guess is that they see him as a likely starter over Colbert - though I'm sure it will be a competition. (That is speculation on my part - but I think I read something like that somewhere.) I agree that it isn't likely that Reid will be back next year - only if other teams stay away from him because of the anthem protest thing so he comes back fairly cheap and willing to play a flexible-rotational role.

Even if Ward does come back next year, I can see using a mid-round or later pick on a safety who they think has the potential to play beyond his draft status.
Originally posted by evil:
Exactly why we do not need a safety at 9/10 or even in the first couple maybe even few of rounds this year. We may even look to add a vet via FA to provide depth and potentially push JT.

Tartt did enough to be the penciled in starter in 2018. If it does not work out, we can find a Safety in FA or the draft next year. If it does work out we can sign JT long term.

We have more pressing needs and there will probably be higher rated prospects on the board when we pick at 9/10.

Agreed!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
S is a need.

It matters because he has a raging woody for Derwin James,lol.

I like Colbert, and think he has a brighter future than Tartt for the record, but he has one season under his belt. Im not ready to name him an all pro yet.
Originally posted by evil:
S is a need.

They have to sign or draft a SS. Period. They cannot go into the season with Just Tartt, Colbert and ward. What if Tartt gets injured again?

I think we should bring Reid and Ward back if the money is right. Ward at 8.5 million is a no go, even if we do have tons of money. Paying that much for an oft injured Ward makes no sense, just cut him and sign someone better than him for less than that if it came to it. Reid looked awesome at SS, and that is where he belongs in this D. If Reid would come back on like a 5/25 million deal with 10 million guaranteed, then I would love to have him back, and starting at SS. Ward I would offer a similar deal to.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I think we should bring Reid and Ward back if the money is right. Ward at 8.5 million is a no go, even if we do have tons of money. Paying that much for an oft injured Ward makes no sense, just cut him and sign someone better than him for less than that if it came to it. Reid looked awesome at SS, and that is where he belongs in this D. If Reid would come back on like a 5/25 million deal with 10 million guaranteed, then I would love to have him back, and starting at SS. Ward I would offer a similar deal to.
Makes sense to me.
Ward for 8.5 million? No.

Signing someone better than him for less than that (assuming there is someone who fits that) also means having money tied to that person over the next three years when you don't even know if they're going to be a starter or not.

Ward is only worth that money because the 9ers have more money than they can spend this year and they have no commitments to Ward beyond this year.

Why sign someone to 5/30 with 15 guaranteed when Colbert might end up your starter anyway? It doesn't make much sense.
  • dj43

With more and more good TEs in the league, it makes sense to keep Reid because he is better in coverage than a LB and stronger than CBs and a lot of other safeties. Besides, he ranked #10 overall safeties this past season. He is definitely worth keeping unless his agent goes rogue and convinced him he can make more money elsewhere. If he leaves, he better pick a very good team because he will be leaving a very good one if he goes.
Share 49ersWebzone