There are 270 users in the forums

What Is The 49er's Absolute Biggest Need Going Into 2018 Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Is The 49er's Absolute Biggest Need Going Into 2018 Season?

Originally posted by 91til:
Sort of a pointless hypothetical because we're not only going to address a single need.

It's pretty difficult to choose which is more important: we need to improve the interior offensive line. No question. And we need an elite LEO/ edge rusher. No question. They're both huge needs. CB is right behind those as a big need. Ideally, we get em all.

And a red zone threat, and an extra pass rusher to spare, and a durable all-round RB, and a running mate for Foster in the middle.... etc. crazy thing is we actually may be able to get all of these pieces. I know, I'm an optimist.

The Idea behind the " pointless hypothetical" is to gauge members thoughts on what they think
the most pressing need is in the off-season.
I don't think anybody was under the impression that there was only going to be one need addressed.
I hope this clears it up for you ,as I'm running low on crayon.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Nastastical:
What you guys don't understand is Jimmy will get killed if he has to consistently throw the ball to keep us in games because we can't stop people from scoring.

Our pass rush was by far our biggest weakness last season. We struggled to bring pressure with only 4 guys against some of the very worst offensive lines in football.

Fix the pass rush and Jimmy won't have to be put at risk throwing the ball 40 times a game.

KS has shown he can hide the weaknesses of a less than stellar offensive line, but there is no way you can hide a weak pass rush. You start blitzing and become predictable and teams will exploit it quickly.

No pass rush, no playoffs.
It's possible to think that edge rusher is the improvement that will impact the team the greatest, but OL is the more urgent need to address.

Bad pass rush, the defense has a hard time defending. That's bad.

Bad interior OL puts Jimmy at risk to more hits and increases the chance of injury. Even when he was showing off his quick release, he was getting smacked. Like you mentioned, the number of times Jimmy drops back to pass matters, a defense helps that. But even if he's dropping back 25-30 times, those are a dangerous 25 times with a bad OL.
Just became LB. Haha
Originally posted by teylo31:
Just became LB. Haha

It's sign Jimmy and the rest will take care of itself. Lets not overreact here.
Originally posted by thl408:
What you guys don't understand is Jimmy will get killed if he has to consistently throw the ball to keep us in games because we can't stop people from scoring.

Our pass rush was by far our biggest weakness last season. We struggled to bring pressure with only 4 guys against some of the very worst offensive lines in football.

Fix the pass rush and Jimmy won't have to be put at risk throwing the ball 40 times a game.

KS has shown he can hide the weaknesses of a less than stellar offensive line, but there is no way you can hide a weak pass rush. You start blitzing and become predictable and teams will exploit it quickly.

No pass rush, no playoffs.
It's possible to think that edge rusher is the improvement that will impact the team the greatest, but OL is the more urgent need to address.

Bad pass rush, the defense has a hard time defending. That's bad.

Bad interior OL puts Jimmy at risk to more hits and increases the chance of injury. Even when he was showing off his quick release, he was getting smacked. Like you mentioned, the number of times Jimmy drops back to pass matters, a defense helps that. But even if he's dropping back 25-30 times, those are a dangerous 25 times with a bad OL.

Plus better o-line leads to more consistent running game, which takes pressure off of the passing game, fewer dropbacks for Jimmy to get hit.
Thank God we have Jimmy.
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
In order:

1. Oline - as others mentioned in particular to enable a top 10 rushing attack. Biggest single thing this team can do to become a top contender.
2. Elite ER
3. Top tier Corner opposite AW
4. True #1 WR

Of course we can always improve in other areas - another game changing RB and LB top the list - but those are easily top 4 in order IMHO.

I can't disagree with the first 3 needs.... There are some good edge rushers that will be available at the Niners' pick (either 9 or 10), and unless OG Nelson or CB/S Fitzpatrick falls to them, it appears their best bet is a pass rusher with that first pick. I'm thinking that another LB to pair with Foster might even be a higher priority than a big red-zone WR at this point. The Niners might want to put the first few picks into their OL and defensive backfield to shore up those areas and then take a chance on a WR in the fourth round or lower. Sometimes, good WRs can be had in the lower rounds. One could even make the case that RB is a greater need at this point than WR. Hard to believe, yes?

Cheers!
Rehab.
Edge rusher and it's not even close.

Jimmy and KS will put up points against anyone. Jimmy has also shown that he can get the ball out quick and avoid the big hits. Can our OL use an upgrade at LG/RG? Sure, but if we truly want to compete we have to fix our inept pass rush. We can't have the TJ Yates of the league sitting all day in the pocket and dissecting your defense on 3rd down because you can't bring pressure without blitzing.

This X10.
Originally posted by Constantine:
Hands down O line... I can't believe how bad the Niners let the O line get since 2013. No excuse

Absolutely, take a stud with the top pick and another with the second or third rounder. The interior will be set.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Zealot:
Rehab.

LMFAO This is #RealTalk
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by Constantine:
Hands down O line... I can't believe how bad the Niners let the O line get since 2013. No excuse

Absolutely, take a stud with the top pick and another with the second or third rounder. The interior will be set.

I voted for pass rusher but after re-thinking...for the 10 millionth time, Elvis and Marsh are decent to solid tandem but with Garnett coming back, Kilgore and Fusco playing a lil better could make it close to a push but OL still seems like it has the edge
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jan 13, 2018 at 2:40 AM ]
  • bors
  • Veteran
Sign the jimmy. Protect the jimmy
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
I voted for pass rusher but after re-thinking...for the 10 millionth time, Elvis and Marsh are decent to solid tandem but with Garnett coming back, Kilgore and Fusco playing a lil better could make it close to a push but OL still seems like it has the edge

You mentioned D. Kilgore playing better, I use to like you, I thought you were a friend.
[ Edited by JimmyJesus on Jan 13, 2018 at 6:18 AM ]
1a Edge rusher
1b CB
Share 49ersWebzone