LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

49ers Pro Football Focus 2017 Scores

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Jimmy only an 80. Anything short of 99.9999999999 is bunk. Don't care about the 5 picks, 96 qb rating he was perfect here.

Yeah, I think the 7-0 stat is more important than the PFF stat.
Secondary looking strong and getting stronger every game.

Jaquiski Tartt - 85.7
Eric Reid - 81.4
Ahkello Witherspoon - 81.1
K'Waun Williams - 80.2
Adrian Colbert - 77.6
Originally posted by NCommand:

Jaquiski Tartt - 85.7
Eric Reid - 81.4
K'Waun Williams - 80.2
Adrian Colbert - 77.6

Reid's boost came from LB right? I don't look at these scores throughout the year, but he seemed to significantly improve when he played closer to the line. He needs to embrace to Thomas Davis move.

They are improving, but we still have a HUGE hole at CB. Spoon has one spot. Williams has the slot, but that's it.

I think CB will be our main focus in FA. If we can't fill the hole there, there's a good chance our 1st pick will be a CB... IMO

And then there's the other hole at LEO
[ Edited by strickac on Jan 9, 2018 at 5:47 AM ]
Originally posted by strickac:

Jaquiski Tartt - 85.7
Eric Reid - 81.4
K'Waun Williams - 80.2
Adrian Colbert - 77.6

Reid's boost came from LB right? I don't look at these scores throughout the year, but he seemed to significantly improve when he played closer to the line. He needs to embrace to Thomas Davis move.

They are improving, but we still have a HUGE hole at CB. Spoon has one spot. Williams has the slot, but that's it.

I think CB will be our main focus in FA. If we can't fill the hole there, there's a good chance our 1st pick will be a CB... IMO

No question we need another CB opposite Witherspoon. I'd love to grab Kyle Fuller or the native Trumaine Johnson to round out the unit. I'd also cut Ward and save the $8.5 to put towards a couple more depth FA's in the secondary.

Badly need a BE or SAM who can bring a real edge rush and certainly, a 3-down LEO who can edge rush on any down.

Roquan Smith in the draft because we can't count on Foster's health and we're not sure what we have in Malcolm Smith although you know Norton and Saleh love the guy in this system.

As to Reid, he's made for this SS in-the-box role. He played very well down the stretch back at SS. I didn't get the impression he was too happy about the move to WILL.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 9, 2018 at 5:56 AM ]

As to Reid, he's made for this SS in-the-box role. He played very well down the stretch back at SS. I didn't get the impression he was too happy about the move to WILL.

My hunch is that going into this year, Reid was hoping to make a good impression on the coaches playing SS in this defense and being offered a contract extension. I'm sure he at least wanted to go into FA with enough good tape of him playing SS that another team would be willing to sign him with a good contract. Then when he was able to come back from his injury, since Tartt had played SS so well and they badly needed a WILL, they asked him to play it. He asked them that if he learned to play WILL, would he be in their plans next year as the WILL backer. They said no. I'm sure the prospect of having to play a quite different position - and one that he is on the small side to play - would never have been something he would be excited about doing. But asking him to do that during his contract year when it could hurt his chances in FA without assurance he would be here next year probably made it extra tough thing for him to get into.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Last time I checked, the 49ers started two safeties. While I like Tartt, can he handle full time duties?

To answer your question, I generally like teams to draft BPA. So yes, I would select him.
Our safeties aren't extremely interchangeable but I agree. And that's all I'm saying here. It's not like he played like Reuben Foster where we're set at MLB for the next 5-10 years, barring injury.
Originally posted by 49erphan:

My hunch is that going into this year, Reid was hoping to make a good impression on the coaches playing SS in this defense and being offered a contract extension. I'm sure he at least wanted to go into FA with enough good tape of him playing SS that another team would be willing to sign him with a good contract. Then when he was able to come back from his injury, since Tartt had played SS so well and they badly needed a WILL, they asked him to play it. He asked them that if he learned to play WILL, would he be in their plans next year as the WILL backer. They said no. I'm sure the prospect of having to play a quite different position - and one that he is on the small side to play - would never have been something he would be excited about doing. But asking him to do that during his contract year when it could hurt his chances in FA without assurance he would be here next year probably made it extra tough thing for him to get into.

Spot on!
Originally posted by strickac:

Reid only played LB for 1 or 2 games before Tartt got hurt and he had to go back to S.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Jimmy only an 80. Anything short of 99.9999999999 is bunk. Don't care about the 5 picks, 96 qb rating he was perfect here.

Yeah, I think the 7-0 stat is more important than the PFF stat.

Garoppolo was 5-0, and he scored an 85.2, which was good for the 10th best QB score on the season. Being ranked a top 10 guy in 5 starts is pretty good.

PFF said he had the highest % of positively graded pass plays in the NFL.
From PFF about Jimmy Garoppolo

"The Good:

There's a lot. The 5-0 record, 28.8 points per game, and 8.8 yards per attempt are all obviously great, but almost every single advanced stat we have backs it up as being for real. 35.2 percent of his attempts this season were positively graded, by far the highest of any quarterback in the NFL. MVP candidates Carson Wentz and Tom Brady didn't even crack 30 percent. He's not simply living off a quick/short passing game either. Over his five starts, Garoppolo completed 63.2 percent of his passes in the intermediate range at 10.8 yards per attempt. That's where the elite quarterbacks make their money, and Garoppolo is following that blueprint to a 'T'.

What makes the numbers above even crazier is that he was playing with – on paper – one of the worst supporting casts in the NFL. His No. 1 receiver, Marquise Goodwin, was most recently the No. 3 option in Buffalo a season ago. His second favorite target, Trent Taylor, is a rookie fifth-round pick. His starting tight end, George Kittle, is also a rookie fifth-round pick. Outside of All-Pro Joe Staley and Carlos Hyde, every other significant player in that offense is a cast-off that was had for bargain prices. This is not the cast Kyle Shanahan had last year in Atlanta, yet the results are nearly the same.

What's arguably more encouraging than pure results going forward, is the comfort level with which Jimmy G plays. Whether it's his superb pocket presence or fearlessness under pressure, there's no panic in his game. He completed 62.3 percent of his passes under duress this season, the highest figure for a quarterback since 2014. When under pressure, he took sacks only 12.9 percent of the time – the sixth lowest rate of any starter. While he did throw four of his picks when faced with pressure, those numbers are far more likely to fluctuate season-to-season. His poise, accuracy, and decision making all scream franchise quarterback."
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 9, 2018 at 9:11 AM ]

Originally posted by 49erphan:

It was a disaster. We gave up 100 yard rushing games. Replace bow with reid. Smart.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
It was a disaster. We gave up 100 yard rushing games. Replace bow with reid. Smart.

Its called injuries...
Originally posted by Niners99:
From PFF about Jimmy Garoppolo

"The Good:

There's a lot. The 5-0 record, 28.8 points per game, and 8.8 yards per attempt are all obviously great, but almost every single advanced stat we have backs it up as being for real. 35.2 percent of his attempts this season were positively graded, by far the highest of any quarterback in the NFL. MVP candidates Carson Wentz and Tom Brady didn't even crack 30 percent. He's not simply living off a quick/short passing game either. Over his five starts, Garoppolo completed 63.2 percent of his passes in the intermediate range at 10.8 yards per attempt. That's where the elite quarterbacks make their money, and Garoppolo is following that blueprint to a 'T'.

What makes the numbers above even crazier is that he was playing with – on paper – one of the worst supporting casts in the NFL. His No. 1 receiver, Marquise Goodwin, was most recently the No. 3 option in Buffalo a season ago. His second favorite target, Trent Taylor, is a rookie fifth-round pick. His starting tight end, George Kittle, is also a rookie fifth-round pick. Outside of All-Pro Joe Staley and Carlos Hyde, every other significant player in that offense is a cast-off that was had for bargain prices. This is not the cast Kyle Shanahan had last year in Atlanta, yet the results are nearly the same.

What's arguably more encouraging than pure results going forward, is the comfort level with which Jimmy G plays. Whether it's his superb pocket presence or fearlessness under pressure, there's no panic in his game. He completed 62.3 percent of his passes under duress this season, the highest figure for a quarterback since 2014. When under pressure, he took sacks only 12.9 percent of the time – the sixth lowest rate of any starter. While he did throw four of his picks when faced with pressure, those numbers are far more likely to fluctuate season-to-season. His poise, accuracy, and decision making all scream franchise quarterback."

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Good read:

"Big-time throws create big plays while turnover-worthy plays result in turnovers about half the time. The top right is the best place to be where BTTs are high and TWPs are limited. The more volatile players reside in the bottom right as players with high numbers of BTTs and high TWPs, while the top left is the more conservative quadrant of low BTTs and low TWPs."
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 10, 2018 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Good read:

"Big-time throws create big plays while turnover-worthy plays result in turnovers about half the time. The top right is the best place to be where BTTs are high and TWPs are limited. The more volatile players reside in the bottom right as players with high numbers of BTTs and high TWPs, while the top left is the more conservative quadrant of low BTTs and low TWPs."

Share 49ersWebzone