There are 177 users in the forums

49ers Pro Football Focus 2017 Scores

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
Obviously nothing is meant to be gospel. These are professional scouting opinions from people who watched every player on every play. The thing that I dont get is people criticize it so much, yet have no alternative, and nothing to back up why they think the scores suck. Its all "Thats not what my eyes saw this season.", as if their opinion was more credible.

They also cant comprehend that the score is based on what they did during their snaps. A player with 50 snaps who played really well can score an 80.0, but that doesn't mean hes a better player than a guy who scored 78.0 in 500 snaps. Look at all the info they provide and decide for yourself who is better than who.

Reid is a perfect example of that. He had a 72.4 grade coming into that Rams game against 2nd and 3rd stringers and got almost a 97 grade raising his overall to the above.
Originally posted by irishluder:
Its great to see alot of our guys ranking high and statistically showing they get it done on the field, but then seeing Kittle and Marsh ranked so low is kinda like , they are both really good. I know Marsh is a situational rusher, but for being a guy off waivers he was the only guy outside Dumervil that got pressure on most of their rush attempts. So I know its not a perfect system but theres a few guys on the list I would have expected were higher, and then guys like Lynch and Armstead that I thought would be lower.

But good regardless, thanks for the post

This. Remember, for the first half of the year, Kittle was Vance McDonald 2.0...lots of nagging injuries, missed games and lots of drops mixed in with a play here and there. But as he got healthier and utilized more by JG, he started to really come on. That's why it's important to note context around these final grades.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 8, 2018 at 12:16 PM ]
As Greg Cosell says, "I can't answer that because I don't know what the player was told to do on that play by his coach."
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 8, 2018 at 12:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
As Greg Cosell says, "I can't answer that because I don't know what the player was told to do on that play by his coach."

In a nutshell. Some positions certainly seem easier to grade than others but ultimately, that's right on.

All PFF is, is professional scouts grading the definates that they see on film, and making educated guesses on the factors they dont know for sure.

NFL scouts are left to do the same for their teams. Its just not made public information.

Id rather have this resource than nothing at all.

All PFF is, is professional scouts grading the definates that they see on film, and making educated guesses on the factors they dont know for sure.

NFL scouts are left to do the same for their teams. Its just not made public information.

We think we know, but we just don't know.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Obviously nothing is meant to be gospel. These are professional scouting opinions from people who watched every player on every play. The thing that I dont get is people criticize it so much, yet have no alternative, and nothing to back up why they think the scores suck. Its all "Thats not what my eyes saw this season.", as if their opinion was more credible.

They also cant comprehend that the score is based on what they did during their snaps. A player with 50 snaps who played really well can score an 80.0, but that doesn't mean hes a better player than a guy who scored 78.0 in 500 snaps. Look at all the info they provide and decide for yourself who is better than who.

Reid is a perfect example of that. He had a 72.4 grade coming into that Rams game against 2nd and 3rd stringers and got almost a 97 grade raising his overall to the above.

guess we'd have to take away Joe Staley's score away from that Rams game as well.....

I like PFF but like you've said (and others) it isn't the end all be all on if a player is good or not.

I remember in Jerrell Freeman's contract yr at Indy he was graded out as a top 3 LBer ( possibly #1 which was nonsense) Dion Lewis got a higher PFF grade then Kareem Hunt this yr.....Marcus Mariota who IMO had a horrible year (more INTs then TDs) was graded higher than Matt Stafford

I pay for PFF and love the idea of having actual grades on players and overall it's pretty on point, but there's other factors that should be taken into account on a players worth.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

guess we'd have to take away Joe Staley's score away from that Rams game as well.....

True, these are final grades overall so you don't want to take anything away either. He did what he was supposed to do.

But Staley was pretty consistent all year in his 87.4 grade (2nd best T score) compared to Eric Reid's 81.4 (32nd best S score).
I like PFF but like you've said (and others) it isn't the end all be all on if a player is good or not.

I remember in Jerrell Freeman's contract yr at Indy he was graded out as a top 3 LBer ( possibly #1 which was nonsense) Dion Lewis got a higher PFF grade then Kareem Hunt this yr.....Marcus Mariota who IMO had a horrible year (more INTs then TDs) was graded higher than Matt Stafford

I pay for PFF and love the idea of having actual grades on players and overall it's pretty on point, but there's other factors that should be taken into account on a players worth.

Well said...role players get killed on these grades too or overvalued. AA played LEO and was second on the team in QB pressures so per PFF, he did his job at a pass rush position and Solomon Thomas did not but would anyone truly define either as a true LEO?

True, these are final grades overall so you don't want to take anything away either. He did what he was supposed to do.

But Staley was pretty consistent all year in his 87.4 grade (2nd best T score) compared to Eric Reid's 81.4 (32nd best S score).

beginning of the year Staley wasn't consistent at all...we had plenty of discussions in here about moving on from him or pushing Brown to LT lol

Once Jimmy G came in that changed. Joe is still a stud and on a great contract (probably until he retires). I thought when Reid came back from his injury he played like a top 10 SS. He improved every week and I'd love to resign him personally

Well said...role players get killed on these grades too or overvalued. AA played LEO and was second on the team in QB pressures so per PFF, he did his job at a pass rush position and Solomon Thomas did not but would anyone truly define either as a true LEO?

yeah I just think the PFF grades should be taken with a grade of salt. I think it's a quality grading system, but like there's plenty of variables that need to be taken into account.
beginning of the year Staley wasn't consistent at all...we had plenty of discussions in here about moving on from him or pushing Brown to LT lol

Once Jimmy G came in that changed. Joe is still a stud and on a great contract (probably until he retires). I thought when Reid came back from his injury he played like a top 10 SS. He improved every week and I'd love to resign him personally

You know, this is something we both have noted. There seems to be some name recognition grades. Staley was a good example early. He'd give up a coupe hits, a couple sacks and then he'd get a high 80 grade and we were both like

Brown, off season, got name recognition and magically his grades sky rocketed. He didn't do anything different from the previous year so we were like
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 8, 2018 at 1:43 PM ]
Are these graders actual former professional scouts who have transitioned over to PFF? Or dudes who get paid by collinsworth to break down their opinions of the film so they're now considered "professional scouts"?
  • thl408
Originally posted by lamontb:
Gotta take it with a major grain of salt. What I've noticed is ppl only seem to like PFF when it backs up their opinions. If it disagrees then it's garbage. You will literally see posters say PFF sucks in one thread. Then go to another thread and post PFF stats to back up their opinions. This list seems not to be too bad. Hyde seems extremely low and Armstead seems extremely high. K'aun Williams seems to be overrated. Overall though half of this roster is full of D players just like this list indicates.
This is exactly how I use it. When it supports my argument it's excellent data compiled by former Super Bowl winning coaches. When it doesn't support my point, "lol fake stats from wannabe scouts".
Share 49ersWebzone