LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Adam Peters - Commanders GM Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
From MM mailbag today...

Max J. asks: I think Adam Peters is a hot candidate to be a general manager in the near future; I was actually surprised he wasn't in consideration already. Are there any chances to hold onto him? I kept hearing they should make John Lynch a president and Peters the GM, but is there any realism to that? Can't lose the guy.

Yes, I think that's a legitimate scenario. Jed York has told me that he felt former general manager Scot McCloughan would have benefited from having a team president over him, which would have allowed McCloughan to focus solely on the thing he loves and does the best — the scouting. When he said that, he used the Lynch/Peters dynamic as an example, which suggests a future president/GM combination is a possibility. Furthermore, Peters is from Cupertino, which is just a few miles from Levi's Stadium, so he'd presumably like to stick with the team long term.

Lynch, it should be noted, isn't trying to keep Peters under wraps. When I wanted to talk to him about Brandon Aiyuk's college GPS readings earlier this month, he had Peters handle the request. The result of it was this story.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
From MM mailbag today...

Max J. asks: I think Adam Peters is a hot candidate to be a general manager in the near future; I was actually surprised he wasn't in consideration already. Are there any chances to hold onto him? I kept hearing they should make John Lynch a president and Peters the GM, but is there any realism to that? Can't lose the guy.

Yes, I think that's a legitimate scenario. Jed York has told me that he felt former general manager Scot McCloughan would have benefited from having a team president over him, which would have allowed McCloughan to focus solely on the thing he loves and does the best — the scouting. When he said that, he used the Lynch/Peters dynamic as an example, which suggests a future president/GM combination is a possibility. Furthermore, Peters is from Cupertino, which is just a few miles from Levi's Stadium, so he'd presumably like to stick with the team long term.

Lynch, it should be noted, isn't trying to keep Peters under wraps. When I wanted to talk to him about Brandon Aiyuk's college GPS readings earlier this month, he had Peters handle the request. The result of it was this story.

I sure hope so
I don't think Peters would leave. Grew up a fan of the team and dream job was working in the 49ers front office, which was a part of the reason Elway let him leave to begin with.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I sure hope so

Everything is always changing, so ShanaLynch will have to roll with the changes when it comes. Personally, I'm not to worried if Adam Peters goes, he's going to be a big loss, I agree -- but with Mike Shanahan also overseeing the team through Kyle, they won't lose much in terms of player evaluations and John's probably learning a ton from Adam Peters also. My hope is when they lose Adam (hopefully to retirement, and not to another team) they have a guy in place already to take on the job.
This team seems to have great stability, I hope they find a way to keep all the management and upper management intact.
[ Edited by ChicoCorrales on May 19, 2020 at 6:20 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Antix:
Gotta keep this guy. Dude is a star in the making and if we can keep him we can keep this going for a while.

I have to admit, I am somewhat nervous about possibly losing Peters.

And no real reason too. Just promote him to GM and Lynch to VP. But TBF, I don't really understand his roll or how much and where he contributes enough to assess the job he's done. I assume he's had the 5th round on solely. And if so, he's terrific. Helps lead the scouting team for ShanaLynch for rounds 1-4 primarily.

For most teams the player personnel guy spends more time honing in and studying the free agents.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
From MM mailbag today...

Thing is does lynch want to remain the GM? He might not want to be a team president where he'll be more hands off in regards to drafting & recruiting guys in FA
Better keep this man.
Soon to be General Manager Adam Peters.

Get ready for the increased responsibilities Mr. Peters. Make a name for yourself and become a LEGEND!
Originally posted by ChicoCorrales:
This team seems to have great stability, I hope they find a way to keep all the management and upper management intact.

So much stability.

Barrows tweeted that the Niners might not have announced an extension for Lynch yet because they could be working on changing his position and promoting Peters to GM. I would absolutely love that. Make Lynch President of Football Operations or something, Peters GM and give them both new 6 year deals to match Shanahans.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Barrows tweeted that the Niners might not have announced an extension for Lynch yet because they could be working on changing his position and promoting Peters to GM. I would absolutely love that. Make Lynch President of Football Operations or something, Peters GM and give them both new 6 year deals to match Shanahans.

+1
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Soon to be General Manager Adam Peters.

Get ready for the increased responsibilities Mr. Peters. Make a name for yourself and become a LEGEND!

I don't think his responsibilities would change much, just his title and pay check. Which is really no different than a coordinator that doesn't call plays. It would just be a way to keep a talented young evaluator in the building and throw some extra change his way as a good faith gesture, because make no mistake about it. If the niners have another strong season then the front office and coaching staff poaching is coming.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jun 15, 2020 at 7:58 PM ]
Originally posted by 1251alex:

+1

Yes please!
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by 1251alex:

+1

Yes please!

This! Jed has to do everything in his power to make sure he keeps Shanahan, Lynch, Peters and Marathe with this franchise for as long as they want to be here.
[ Edited by Nastastical on Jun 15, 2020 at 9:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone