There are 174 users in the forums

Adam Peters - Commanders GM Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Surprised he didn't yet have his own thread, so this is happening.

Long before front-office executive Adam Peters was helping the 49ers sign players, he was trying to get one of their greatest players to sign his game program.
The problem? Peters was a 7-year-old die-hard who was overwhelmed when Joe Montana, sidelined after back surgery, shared an elevator ride with him and his mom at Candlestick Park in 1986.

Peters frantically fumbled with the pages, trying to find Montana's picture, before thrusting a random page at the legend. Peters, now the 49ers' vice president of player

personnel, recalled his reaction to the unexpected sight of Montana, whose poster hung in his bedroom in Cupertino.

"I said, 'Holy,'" Peters said, before pausing to edit his memory. "I didn't say, 'Holy s—,' because I didn't swear then, I don't think. But I was so nervous and scared that I couldn't find (the page), so my mom was just like, 'Just give him the sheet.'"

Thirty-one years after he got Montana's autograph, Peters, 38, got his dream job in January: General manager John Lynch made the Broncos' director of college scouting his first hire on Lynch's second day on the job.

Peters grew up in Cupertino during the 49ers' dynasty days. Now, as Lynch's right-hand man, he's a powerful figure in a regime tasked with finding the next Steve Young (Peters got his autograph at a training camp) and Brent Jones (the tight end whose jersey number — 84 — Peters wore in high school and junior college when he played the same position).

Unlike Lynch, who played for Bill Walsh at Stanford, and head coach Kyle Shanahan, whose, dad, Mike, was the offensive coordinator on the 49ers' last Super Bowl team, the masses can relate to Peters' connection to the franchise.

That is, he was a fan. And, in some ways, he still is: His office walls feature pictures of the Big 3 (Montana, Young and Jerry Rice) and his favorite player (Jones).

What's it like to work for your childhood team? Just listen to Peters, who began detailing his first months by sounding like a certain awestruck 7-year-old.

"My first day, I met (former 49ers linebacker and current team employee) Keena Turner," Peters said. "My family loved Keena Turner, and I love Keena Turner, too. I get to see him every day. So that's really cool."

Hear Peters discuss his childhood passion long enough and it's easy to forget he's one of the NFL's top young executives and owner of three Super Bowl rings from his tenures with two marquee franchises: New England (2003-08) and Denver (2009-16).
Peters, who broke into the NFL at 23, leads the 49ers' personnel and scouting department and is listed above ex-Lions general manager Martin Mayhew, a recently hired senior personnel executive, on the masthead.

"Will Adam be a general manager one day? Yeah, that's a no-brainer," said Cowboys director of college scouting Lionel Vital, 53, who spent two seasons with Peters in New England. "He's smart, he works as hard as anyone in the building. He can read people, including players, has a great understating of the game and is an independent thinker. Right there, those are a bunch of traits that the top GMs have."

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Die-hard-fan-in-49ers-front-office-grew-up-in-the-11178557.php

"In certain rooms, you can tell when certain people are allowed to speak and Adam was one of those guys they wanted to hear from," Lynch said. "I remember saying to John, 'Hey, this guy's good, huh?' And he said, 'Oh, yeah, very good.'"
Lynch didn't interview Peters before he hired him. Beyond his firsthand experience, he'd heard others rave about Peters when he traveled around the league for Fox. And Peters' boosters included one of the best coaches in NFL history.

"Bill Belichick kind of gives praise grudgingly," Lynch said of the Patriots' head coach, "and he thinks very highly of Adam."
Peters has helped Lynch with the mechanics of organizing a draft board and other minutiae that were foreign to the rookie executive. But Lynch, whose 15-year playing career included nine Pro Bowls, valued Peters mainly for his player-evaluation skills.

Peters' influence was felt before he joined the 49ers. After Lynch received permission from the Broncos to speak with Peters, he called him and asked about the upcoming draft: "We've got the No. 2 pick. Who are you taking?"

Peters' no-hesitation response: Reuben Foster.
he was supposed to be hidden away !

[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 4, 2018 at 10:49 PM ]
Loved the hire of Peters then and I absolutely love it now. He was a big reason we got so much talent in year one. Plus working for the Niners is his dream job, also I imagine the working environment right now for him is super enjoyable. He will deff get offers and interviews in the years to come but honestly, I can see him staying no matter what unless an amazing job opens up for him (a la Ballard with the Colts). Imagine how awesome for him his situation is here? Dream job and is around people that literally share the praise.
I love that we have a guy with his ability to evaluate talent, but the fact that he grew up a Niners fan makes it even more awesome he's here.
I hope he doesn't leave us!
He da real MVP.
A godsend
I still remember when it was announced Lynch would be interviewing him, we all researched who he was, and the very next day he was hired.

To me that was the turning point when we all realized maybe John Lynch wasn't the worst GM hire.

Hopefully the positive mojo continues and we promote Lynch to head of football operations and Peters to GM. This has been theorized so many times I find it hard to believe it won't happen in a year or two.
Watch! Some team is gonna hire him at the last second before the draft. LMAO.

John Lynch was on KNBR Thursday afternoon, and he offered some insight into how the 49ers ended up with Colbert. Lynch said that Adam Peters, his Vice President of Player Personnel, approached him about Colbert. According to Lynch, Peters told him, "Hey I really like this kid. He's a fifth year transfer to Miami, had been at Texas. He moved from safety to corner. Let's sit down and watch his film, I think he's really got great value."

Peters said that he saw Colbert as a potential special teams standout, who could also offer some depth help at cornerback and safety. The 49ers had their starters more or less figured out at the four base defensive back positions, but they needed to figure out depth. Special teams alone can land a roster spot, but having some versatility is huge for a rookie.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/12/15/16781644/adrian-colbert-49ers-rookie-draft-pick-adam-peters-john-lynch
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Lol hopefully he wants to put a few years in here and see success build up.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

And then York promotes Lynch to some EVP type position and makes Peters GM.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

And then York promotes Lynch to some EVP type position and makes Peters GM.

That would be my dream scenario.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Championship.
Share 49ersWebzone