LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Cassius Marsh thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
I wouldn't doubt that the dudes we passed up after second round of last year's draft got more QB pressure / sacks than this Marsh

This draft had an offensive feel to it (McGlinchy and Pettis). They did draft Fred and some DB's, and so if anything -- they need to utilize Fred and Reuben to generate heat on the QB if we don't have a pass rusher. Maybe next year we can get a legit pass rusher - *if* they actually draft one.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I wouldn't doubt that the dudes we passed up after second round of last year's draft got more QB pressure / sacks than this Marsh

This draft had an offensive feel to it (McGlinchy and Pettis). They did draft Fred and some DB's, and so if anything -- they need to utilize Fred and Reuben to generate heat on the QB if we don't have a pass rusher. Maybe next year we can get a legit pass rusher - *if* they actually draft one.

Marsh and Smith are disappointments from this FO. However, it looks like this guy has made up for at least one of those misses.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Well the return of Foster will elevate the whole defense because now teams will have to deal with two fast LBs who know wtf they're doing... I guess that could help Marsh get sacks.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Well the return of Foster will elevate the whole defense because now teams will have to deal with two fast LBs who know wtf they're doing... I guess that could help Marsh get sacks.

nothing will help marsh and aa in my opinion. thomas is approaching that level. pretty sad state of affairs with the d line aside from buck. he is a diamond surrounded by garbage
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

nothing will help marsh and aa in my opinion. thomas is approaching that level. pretty sad state of affairs with the d line aside from buck. he is a diamond surrounded by garbage

I'd have to say that quite a few guys on D are merely solid back ups and not really starters...another draft or two (we're getting there). But Buck, Foster and Warner are legit and will only get better. Uncle Shermy better get to teaching the kids cause we've been getting burnt to often (since our pass rush isn't good).
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Yes, we better get at least one in the draft and we better not hear any crap like, "well, can the guys in the draft beat who we have now (Marsh, Eli, etc)" ..... YES THEY CAN .... we better not get anymore of that BS lip service from Shanny / Lynch.

Originally posted by Geeked:
Marsh and Smith are disappointments from this FO. However, it looks like this guy has made up for at least one of those misses.

Man, I'm tired of saying I hope this n that, if if if if, hopefull blah blah blah. I really hope (s**t I mentioned hope again) Saleh figures something out
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

They've been drafting well. Don't forget DJ Jones and Julian Taylor. If, for some reason, we do well this season and go into the playoffs and go one and done. We'll have a late first round pick. I wouldn't be adverse to trade out of the first round and garner more 2nd round picks. If they can get say an extra 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks for trading out of the first round - why not overload on edge rushers, DB's and O LInemen? Not saying that's the best thing to do, but if ShanaLynch isn't going to trade for Kalil Mack, might as well trade down if they aren't going to use their first round picks.

They've been drafting well. Don't forget DJ Jones and Julian Taylor. If, for some reason, we do well this season and go into the playoffs and go one and done. We'll have a late first round pick. I wouldn't be adverse to trade out of the first round and garner more 2nd round picks. If they can get say an extra 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks for trading out of the first round - why not overload on edge rushers, DB's and O LInemen? Not saying that's the best thing to do, but if ShanaLynch isn't going to trade for Kalil Mack, might as well trade down if they aren't going to use their first round picks.

How many positions do we really need depth though? Maybe corner and OL? We need impact starters. I would rather identify some edge rushers and go get them,

Good post!

Another idea would be to offer A LOT to move up and get a "Blue Chipper'

IMO, if we have a real ER our DL will be a monster to deal with and as a result our secondary will get immediate benefits.
Giedi, i see w
Originally posted by Waterbear:

How many positions do we really need depth though? Maybe corner and OL? We need impact starters. I would rather identify some edge rushers and go get them,

Giedi, i see where you are coming from, esp good examples being DJ Jones and Julian Taylor . Also Fred Warner, Pettis, and McG. No slouches, any of them. Pettis remains untried but has already showed some flashes of greatness, but on limited basis..The others have done bang up jobs. Julian is still waiting for his chance. DJ we see patrolling the DL each game. McG is well established and same for Fred at LB.

But getting 2nd thru 4th rd extra picks i think is not the way to go when our big holes are ER , 1 LB, and 1 DB. ( i hope that's all). Also we need OG starter in the worst kind of way, as right now we are patch working the OG slot on R side. Plus our backups are all injured. OG is crying out for a true starter. I don't think we find starting OG in 2nd Rd. Maybe but if picking 20th or so in draft and that iisn't good enough. As for ER, if the guy is a Khalil Mack,, no way that guy goes anywhere near 2nd rd. So whereas we definitely need depth at LB, CB, OL , we need starters at all three also...and that to me means first rd picks, with ER being in the top 1 to 5 of the entire draft. So i agree we can get backups at the above positions , we also need starters and those don't come in 2nd and 3rd rds.

So backups and depth, rds 2-4 definitely. But starters at above slots, ER, LB, and CB...that is all high value targets and will be rd 1 picks 1 -5 if the ER is legit. And probably rd 1 picks 10–15 if the LB and CB are legit starters.

So we agree on backup positions but on starters, i feel we HAVE to climb up for that ER (way up probably) and around picks # 10 -15 for legit starter DB and LB.

In the retrospectoscope the Khalil Mack thing in which i suggested two 1s , And two 2s if needed , was laughed at. I still feel that way for a bona fide ER as Mack. Any draftee will probably be gone if he is in Mack's category unless we are picking at the top of the pile. And i don't see that happening. So two 1s at pick # 20 for two yrs in a row, plus two 2s at #53 for two yrs in a row, suddenly doesnt' look all that horrible. I think we missed the boat on Khalil and should have had that second #1 and both #2s ready to go. Sure would make this a different team. Then we would have needed a LB and DB, plus OG and that isn't that hard to imagine. Plus our guys have killed the late rd picks in the last two yrs, rd 7 being a favorite. Rd 5 not bad either.

No crying over spilt milk, but we missed the boat here. It happens. And we don't know just how much GM/HC wanted / valued Mack . I would think a lot. In draft, however, we did just fine.

I'm surprised by how many snaps Marsh is getting in Saleh's snickel package. I thought we'd see Solomon exclusively in that package, but they've given the majority of those to Marsh. I guess that's a good thing. It shows Saleh is willing to sacrifice a little less run defense for a truer edge.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 21, 2018 at 9:34 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
What's his purpose ?
Originally posted by susweel:
What's his purpose ?

he has nice spinning roundhouse kick.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
What's his purpose ?

he has nice spinning roundhouse kick.

Lol i seen that, he wasted it on a sack that didn't even count. Also prolly pull hammy doing that stupid s**t.
What's his purpose ?

Comic relief.
Share 49ersWebzone