There are 142 users in the forums

49ers claim DL Sheldon Day

Originally posted by kazak13:
not sure why Mitchell is playing.. we have youth to develop.. id play Day and Jones over Mitchell

I don't think he got any playing time last week and we looked 10x better on defense.
Not sure how long Day's deal is, but he's a keeper in the rotation. If the deactivation was to get Thomas snaps inside, then I understand. Hopefully we are lighter at DT next year with Mitchell gone.
Day with the fundamental play. Dude is a good player and a great fit in this one-gap-get-up-and-go scheme at both interior spots.

Day seemed to have not been in the mix a lot last year, or at least his play wasn't as apparent as it was the year before when he joined the team and really showed up during their late season winning streak. Grant Cohn posted a clip of the defensive lineman working out at camp and Day really seemed to come out of his stance in a hurry. At first glance it looked like he was faster off the line than just about anyone else but after watching it a couple of more times it seemed a little less clear that was the case. Still, he is a player I liked in 2017 and would not be disappointed if made the team, unless it came at the expense of Taylor who sort of intrigues me as well.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Day with the fundamental play. Dude is a good player and a great fit in this one-gap-get-up-and-go scheme at both interior spots.


Kocurek identified him right away. He's been running with the 1's since "day" 1.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Day seemed to have not been in the mix a lot last year, or at least his play wasn't as apparent as it was the year before when he joined the team and really showed up during their late season winning streak. Grant Cohn posted a clip of the defensive lineman working out at camp and Day really seemed to come out of his stance in a hurry. At first glance it looked like he was faster off the line than just about anyone else but after watching it a couple of more times it seemed a little less clear that was the case. Still, he is a player I liked in 2017 and would not be disappointed if made the team, unless it came at the expense of Taylor who sort of intrigues me as well.

That's the differences in scheme. He was inactive most of the year in Saleh's "big everything" scheme. No mas.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 12, 2019 at 11:47 AM ]
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 17,548
I think there's a battle at Nose between Day and DJJones. Last season the nose was more of a traditional 1tech (DJJones). With the 49ers going wide9 on early downs, the 2i will be targeted in the run game. There was a play vs KC where Day displayed good explosion off the snap to defeat a blocking technique that the 2i player will face a lot.
Notice the downblock by the center on the 2i. The 2i is shaded further to the outside when compared to a 1tech. This gives a better angle for the Center.



-------------------------------------
Here's Day beating the Center's downblock with explosion. If you are able to watch this play on the SF broadcast, they show the endzone view which is the perfect angle to watch what Day did. (This is from NFL Rewind which shows the KC broadcast).


Day forces a holding call because the Center couldn't handle Day off the snap.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,685
I really hate the wide 9 on first and 10.
Dude is really being overlooked for some reason. He's gonna have a great year.
Nice, thl. I saw your post in DJJ thread. I'll see if I can find the SF broadcast for the endzone angle.

Day was a gift from the waiver wire gods
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,962
at the very least, he's having the same camp as Arik, so why keep the 1st rounder who's getting MORE money..
I love Sheldon, but unfortunately I think he won't make the 53 man roster for the 49ers. Either he gets traded or cut IMO.
Originally posted by 9moon:
at the very least, he's having the same camp as Arik, so why keep the 1st rounder who's getting MORE money..

Because he's making more money...you answered your own question. AA isn't getting cut he's due $9M
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,502
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
I love Sheldon, but unfortunately I think he won't make the 53 man roster for the 49ers. Either he gets traded or cut IMO.

🤣
Share 49erswebzone