There are 253 users in the forums

DL Sheldon Day

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Originally posted by GEEK:
He's made DJ Jones an inactive player on game days.

Yup and Jones looked like a real promising player to. I still think he has a bright future here, just shows how solid Day is and obviously more experienced

Yeah. Gives us more pass rush.. Jones is that run stuffing big body a lot around here wanted. I wouldnt be surprised if we moved Mitchell and went with Jones and Day next year.

True, but I could also see Jones cut in favor of a true 3 tech behind Buckner or Thomas. Mitchell and Day are stout DTs that offer some pass rush. Haven't seen that from Jones yet.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I was really impressed with Sheldon Day against that top ranked Jags run game. He really was a big tree stump in the middle of the D Line and he has good quickness and movement too.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
He's made DJ Jones an inactive player on game days.

Yup and Jones looked like a real promising player to. I still think he has a bright future here, just shows how solid Day is and obviously more experienced

Yeah. Gives us more pass rush.. Jones is that run stuffing big body a lot around here wanted. I wouldnt be surprised if we moved Mitchell and went with Jones and Day next year.

True, but I could also see Jones cut in favor of a true 3 tech behind Buckner or Thomas. Mitchell and Day are stout DTs that offer some pass rush. Haven't seen that from Jones yet.

Day plays/is better at 3T.
Originally posted by Heroism:

DJ Jones is an attacking interior DL. I think Day is getting the nod because he's the more refined player. But DJ has big-time potential. He was getting comps to Grady Jarrett coming out(Grady Jarrett is one of the best 3ts in the NFL).

Gotcha. Sounds perfect for a 1T no? Huge panda bear that can slash like Poe. As far as DJ goes
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Dec 27, 2017 at 1:38 AM ]
Gotcha. Sounds perfect for a 1T no? Huge panda bear that can slash like Poe. As far as DJ goes

If you've got a good 3, then yeah, you keep him there at 1. Kind of like what the Panthers do with Lotuleilei and Short. Both have the body types and traits to play 1-gap nose but are also great fits at 3. Grady Jarrett was supposed to be a nose until ATL realized he was a monster at getting after the QB. Now he's a 3 all day and one of the best in the league. Sacked Brady three times in the Superbowl.

Kung fu panda is a good comp for DJ lol.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I was really impressed with Sheldon Day against that top ranked Jags run game. He really was a big tree stump in the middle of the D Line and he has good quickness and movement too.

Me too, he's a keeper going forward. DT is a position we don't really need to address this off season.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Need guys like this in the rotation to compete across the season.
Agreed, sure hope a couple of these waiver claim guys can become rotational depth for us going forward. Cheap labor on the bench that is effective when playing is good to have.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by Giedi:

Me too, he's a keeper going forward. DT is a position we don't really need to address this off season.

Bingo!
This pick up was like having an extra third round pick. The DL has great depth, add a pass rusher off the edge and we are set for a few years

We have so many guys on our roster right now, and on the IR, I wonder if Lynch might be doing a lot of wheeling and dealing during the draft. I would be looking to peddle off as many of these guys that don't appear to be long term fits for what ever we can get. Not saying we'll get much for some of them, but something is better than cutting them for nothing. Moves like the Ravens did with that OL guy that we traded for, and then just ended up cutting. The Ravens got a pick for a guy they were going to cut any ways.
If I was Lynch, I would basically say everyone is available, and to give the best offer on every guy by a certain date. Then when that date comes, pick and choose which guys you value the offer more than the player has to us. Quick way to shed some guys, and add draft capital before the draft.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
We have so many guys on our roster right now, and on the IR, I wonder if Lynch might be doing a lot of wheeling and dealing during the draft. I would be looking to peddle off as many of these guys that don't appear to be long term fits for what ever we can get. Not saying we'll get much for some of them, but something is better than cutting them for nothing. Moves like the Ravens did with that OL guy that we traded for, and then just ended up cutting. The Ravens got a pick for a guy they were going to cut any ways.
If I was Lynch, I would basically say everyone is available, and to give the best offer on every guy by a certain date. Then when that date comes, pick and choose which guys you value the offer more than the player has to us. Quick way to shed some guys, and add draft capital before the draft.
get rid of quality back ups , just to get a 5th/6th round pick ?, no thanks

we need to have good depth
Originally posted by Heroism:

If you've got a good 3, then yeah, you keep him there at 1. Kind of like what the Panthers do with Lotuleilei and Short. Both have the body types and traits to play 1-gap nose but are also great fits at 3. Grady Jarrett was supposed to be a nose until ATL realized he was a monster at getting after the QB. Now he's a 3 all day and one of the best in the league. Sacked Brady three times in the Superbowl.

Kung fu panda is a good comp for DJ lol.

Hah.

So you don't like Jones with Buckner by his side?

Also i just noticed we have Day until 2019 and didn't know he was a 4th round pick last year.

This dude isnt just really some guy off the street.. Its like the Jags gave us an early christmas gift... Got him ready and coached him up in this system before releasing him due to simply upgrading to Dareus. Pretty ducking lucky lol.
I love his deep penetration.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I love his deep penetration.

Share 49ersWebzone