Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
19/28 237 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT

29-22 Niners

No sacks? I'll take it.

Should be closer to the Detroit game:

17/25 12.6 average, 314 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT's, 124.2 RTG
Originally posted by Heroism:
"Yall really thought you could replace me with these guys?!?!"

If he's comparing himself to rookie QBs, instead of vet QBs that had a chance to get here like Stafford and Rodgers ... then we have a problem.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by random49er:

29-22 Niners

No sacks? I'll take it.

How many air yards?
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
It's also not about the EPA or "crucialness" of 3rd down.

3rd down is the down where you're dropping back and passing. Everyone knows what you're doing unless it's 3rd and <2. Very few screens and gadget plays. Pass rushers are pinning their ear backs and play action ain't saving you. The away crowds are screaming so you can't communicate. A few reasons why completion % dips dramatically across the league on 3rd down.

Add on top of that that our O-line is a great run blocking O-line, but a terrible pass blocking O-line over the past few years, as well as our very high run % relatively on 1st and 2nd down, and Jimmy proving time and time again that he can deliver for us on 3rd down, while getting smacked very quickly by a pass rusher, by putting the ball in the right place with that quick release and getting us a 1st down, is just plain impressive.

His 3rd down game is impressive. Anybody denying that doesn't understand football imho, and in particular, doesn't understand how hard what Jimmy consistently does on 3rd down is.

Great stuff but quick question given how important you seem to make it out to be:

The Rams had a fairly young QB, #1 Overall Pick,...that -- consistent with his past seasons -- threw for 67% completions and led his team to being ranked 4th in the NFL in 3rd Down passing conversion % last year....

...and went on to trade him (plus alot more) for a much older guy in Detroit that had his team ranked 14th in 3rd down conv % passing last year.

The question is, if it's such an important, indicative skill as your suggesting to have your team ranked high in 3rd down %, then why did the Rams make this trade?

Given his value to complete 3rd downs, the argument I've seen so far for why Shanahan has shopped for another QB the last couple of years is Jimmy's injuries,...but Goff was healthy, so with him posting similar stats, that can't be used here.

Interested in a solid response that'd shed light on what these coaches are up to, given the value that a player brings to his team I guess on 3rd downs.

Well there are a couple factors in LA that don't necessarily pertain to here.
1. Goff cost more salary than Stafford in a cap reduced year.
2. There's obviously a disconnect between Goff and McVey. Somewhere in there, Goff fell out of favor. Either work ethic, leadership qualities on the team, how he operates McVey's offense.
3. McVey isn't Shanahan, so each situation is different.

To parlay 1 guy and coach to another guy and coach, they're all different and so you can't just superimpose in situation on another.

Why do we trade up so much for Lance?
I feel there's 2 possibilities that aren't necessarily exclusive.
1. The injuries - obviously you can't fail to protect the organization when 2/3 seasons have been lost to an injured qb.
2. I think Jimmy did fall out of favor whether it be temporarily or not, don't know.

I go back to Peter Kings report on Garoppolo's poor TC after the super bowl.

Did that spurn Kyle? Did Jimmy not seeming to have obsessed and prepared every detail, pushed the gas pedal down 100% make Kyle upset? It would me. If I'd just lost a super bowl like that I'd be fired up, obsessing to the extreme and I'd expect my qb to be just as passionate and nose grind at it too.

Then Jimmy got hurt, was his physical conditioning against injury not up to par?

I could see Kyle saying, "you know what, if you're not going to grind every day, in season or not as hard as I am. I'm not getting fired for you. If you aren't going to put 110% in, I'll find someone who will".

That makes more sense to me than anything.

It's something Chris Simma mentioned before the season that makes sense to me.

Play on the field as a reason makes zero sense. I juat don't see a ton of plays left on the field.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

29-22 Niners

No sacks? I'll take it.

How many air yards?

AYPA or AYPC?
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 26, 2021 at 2:18 PM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
It's also not about the EPA or "crucialness" of 3rd down.

3rd down is the down where you're dropping back and passing. Everyone knows what you're doing unless it's 3rd and <2. Very few screens and gadget plays. Pass rushers are pinning their ear backs and play action ain't saving you. The away crowds are screaming so you can't communicate. A few reasons why completion % dips dramatically across the league on 3rd down.

Add on top of that that our O-line is a great run blocking O-line, but a terrible pass blocking O-line over the past few years, as well as our very high run % relatively on 1st and 2nd down, and Jimmy proving time and time again that he can deliver for us on 3rd down, while getting smacked very quickly by a pass rusher, by putting the ball in the right place with that quick release and getting us a 1st down, is just plain impressive.

His 3rd down game is impressive. Anybody denying that doesn't understand football imho, and in particular, doesn't understand how hard what Jimmy consistently does on 3rd down is.

Great stuff but quick question given how important you seem to make it out to be:

The Rams had a fairly young QB, #1 Overall Pick,...that -- consistent with his past seasons -- threw for 67% completions and led his team to being ranked 4th in the NFL in 3rd Down passing conversion % last year....

...and went on to trade him (plus alot more) for a much older guy in Detroit that had his team ranked 14th in 3rd down conv % passing last year.

The question is, if it's such an important, indicative skill as your suggesting to have your team ranked high in 3rd down %, then why did the Rams make this trade?

Given his value to complete 3rd downs, the argument I've seen so far for why Shanahan has shopped for another QB the last couple of years is Jimmy's injuries,...but Goff was healthy, so with him posting similar stats, that can't be used here.

Interested in a solid response that'd shed light on what these coaches are up to, given the value that a player brings to his team I guess on 3rd downs.

Well there are a couple factors in LA that don't necessarily pertain to here.
1. Goff cost more salary than Stafford in a cap reduced year.
2. There's obviously a disconnect between Goff and McVey. Somewhere in there, Goff fell out of favor. Either work ethic, leadership qualities on the team, how he operates McVey's offense.
3. McVey isn't Shanahan, so each situation is different.

To parlay 1 guy and coach to another guy and coach, they're all different and so you can't just superimpose in situation on another.

Why do we trade up so much for Lance?
I feel there's 2 possibilities that aren't necessarily exclusive.
1. The injuries - obviously you can't fail to protect the organization when 2/3 seasons have been lost to an injured qb.
2. I think Jimmy did fall out of favor whether it be temporarily or not, don't know.

I go back to Peter Kings report on Garoppolo's poor TC after the super bowl.

Did that spurn Kyle? Did Jimmy not seeming to have obsessed and prepared every detail, pushed the gas pedal down 100% make Kyle upset? It would me. If I'd just lost a super bowl like that I'd be fired up, obsessing to the extreme and I'd expect my qb to be just as passionate and nose grind at it too.

Then Jimmy got hurt, was his physical conditioning against injury not up to par?

I could see Kyle saying, "you know what, if you're not going to grind every day, in season or not as hard as I am. I'm not getting fired for you. If you aren't going to put 110% in, I'll find someone who will".

That makes more sense to me than anything.

It's something Chris Simma mentioned before the season that makes sense to me.

Play on the field as a reason makes zero sense. I juat don't see a ton of plays left on the field.

Fell out of favor because Goff isn't good.

29-22 Niners

No sacks? I'll take it.

How many air yards?

Not in the same way,...but I've expressed this possibility since after the draft. And although it was met with much chagrin here, it was pretty noteworthy for Kyle to come out and call it his best camp ever as a 49er.

I know we disagreed at the beginning of 2020 about it, and people can point to other games, but I flat out felt like the opener vs. AZ was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Kyle clearly has no qualms about eyeing other players at any position,...and if it serves as motivation, then he's done his job.

With all the Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady/Matt Stafford stuff,...it certainly seemed to me like a coach that wanted it to be clear the right arm to his offense was working his a$$ off over the offseason this time around.

Not in the same way,...but I've expressed this possibility since after the draft. And although it was met with much chagrin here, it was pretty noteworthy for Kyle to come out and call it his best camp ever as a 49er.

I know we disagreed at the beginning of 2020 about it, and people can point to other games, but I flat out felt like the opener vs. AZ was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Kyle clearly has no qualms about eyeing other players at any position,...and if it serves as motivation, then he's done his job.

With all the Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady/Matt Stafford stuff,...it certainly seemed to me like a coach that wanted it to be clear the right arm to his offense was working his a$$ off over the offseason this time around.

Well Kyle straight up said a month or so ago that Jimmy wasn't good in TC last year and that it carried into the season, so this theory seems solid.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Sep 26, 2021 at 2:36 PM ]

Ehhh, I'm not sold on ARI. His #2 receiver in that game was Dante Pettis. A guy Kyle shipped off a month later even though we weren't thick at receiver and isn't playing in the NFL.

The problem was you, and others, were trying to say Pettis was, "open all day" in that game. If Pettis could get open all day vs Patrick Peterson, he'd be in the NFL right now.

• Tman
  • Veteran

29-22 Niners

No sacks? I'll take it.

How many air yards?

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I think the whole discussion about Jimmy has progressed to the point where every little detail is brought up as a major reason he's great or he's just average. We've beaten this horse to death and there really isn't anything new to add. Burrowing through stats trying to find one that supports your argument is no longer needed. We've heard them all.

He's playing okay so far and as long as the team wins I'm assuming he'll remain the starter for this season. Let's just enjoy the season and hope the team continues to play well and stay moderately healthy.

Well summarized!
  • Tman
  • Veteran

Well Kyle straight up said a month or so ago that Jimmy wasn't good in TC last year and that it carried into the season, so this theory seems solid.

Link?
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
what?

Lol you PMd me this before and I explained Nick Burns
anyhoo sorry for derailing this thread

i totally forgot lol
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Ehhh, I'm not sold on ARI. His #2 receiver in that game was Dante Pettis. A guy Kyle shipped off a month later even though we weren't thick at receiver and isn't playing in the NFL.

The problem was you, and others, were trying to say Pettis was, "open all day" in that game. If Pettis could get open all day vs Patrick Peterson, he'd be in the NFL right now.

Pettis has set up a cat farm in Montana. He is far too busy for the NFL
Share 49ersWebzone