LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kolohe:
You know the rule is you only can carry two QB's on the game day roster right??

In FFootball?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by random49er:

In FFootball?

Do you bother looking it up without being snarky?

In FFootball?

This is false if you mean NFL football.

The issue is that the 3rd one also counts against the active roster limit.
[ Edited by random49er on Feb 8, 2023 at 10:05 PM ]

Yep.

I don't see the point in beating this point to death anyway. Josh Johnson was the #2 by the end, which is scraping the very bottom of the barrel. The game might have been 'better' with a 3rd QB, but it was over the minute Purdy got hurt.

In FFootball?

Correct

And when they increased the active roster count last it was meant that the team should carry a 3rd QB. Problem, teams said screw that, I can get another RB or extra fill in the blank instead of the third QB. The last roster count increase did replace the third QB but with the intent with increased count comes three QBs. Nobody does that but can't blame the rules committee.
Originally posted by SinceXVI:
Just like last year, negative leaks are coming out bashing Jimmy as he's on his way out the door.

I don't like to engage in magical thinking, but I can't help but feel that the injuries to our QBs this year were karmic justice for the fanbase's disrespect towards our signal callers.

Pro football is a harsh and unforgiving business, one moment you're on top of the world getting the big contract, holding up the Lombardi, or considered a sure shot for Canton; only to get cut a couple seasons later, fired for missing the playoffs after years of contention, or have sports media declare you a fraud (looking at you Russel Wilson).

The NFL is rightfully jokingly called Not For Long, and Jimmy's career epitomizes that reality.

He was once a hot commodity, the handsome NE back up with quick feet and a lightening release who threatened to push Tom Brady off the Pats before he was ready a la Young to Montana.

When the Niners got him for a 2nd round pick, it was considered a steal, and truthfully it was a watershed moment in which the franchise became a contender again.

We all know what happened next with his ACL, an injury that while not career ending, did rob him of his quickness and oft-schedule play ability.

Look no further than highlights from 2017, he made plays just like Brock Purdy except with more velocity.

Oh what could have been.

I hope both Lance and Purdy fare better with their injuries. And I hope that the fanbase is more appreciative and respectful of those wearing the crimson and gold.

Great post
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

This isn't correct.

Then I guess McCaffery is wrong??

Huh?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erson3:

In FFootball?

Correct

And when they increased the active roster count last it was meant that the team should carry a 3rd QB. Problem, teams said screw that, I can get another RB or extra fill in the blank instead of the third QB. The last roster count increase did replace the third QB but with the intent with increased count comes three QBs. Nobody does that but can't blame the rules committee.

What am I not getting then??

https://www.chttps://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfc-championship-game-49ers-qb-problems-vs-eagles-has-us-revisiting-the-nfls-third-quarterback-rule/bssports.com/nfl/news/nfc-championship-game-49ers-qb-problems-vs-eagles-has-us-revisiting-the-nfls-third-quarterback-rule/

I would post tweets but forgot how to.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

This isn't correct.

Then I guess McCaffery is wrong??

Huh?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/08/christian-mccaffrey-hopes-nfl-restores-third-quarterback-rule/

In FFootball?

Correct

What am I not getting then??

https://www.chttps://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfc-championship-game-49ers-qb-problems-vs-eagles-has-us-revisiting-the-nfls-third-quarterback-rule/bssports.com/nfl/news/nfc-championship-game-49ers-qb-problems-vs-eagles-has-us-revisiting-the-nfls-third-quarterback-rule/

I would post tweets but forgot how to.

Basically there used to be a rule where you can dress a 3rd QB and not have it count toward your total players dressed. In today's game, you can dress 53 players. My understanding is you could dress 53 QBs if you wanted to. There would be no reason to do this and you would be put at a tactical disadvantage. Teams generally dress 2 as there is no gameday role for your backup QB, aside from insurance in the event the starter is injured. Most every dressed player has a role on gameday with snaps on offense, defense and/or special teams.

I imagine the rule will change for two reasons, one is ratings, a NFCCG like that isn't good for TV or competition.. also player safety, having to reinsert an injured player like we did isn't what the league wants to see. So expect the rule to return is my guess.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Feb 8, 2023 at 11:28 PM ]

Simply put, the third QB rule allowed a team to dress a third QB and it not count against your 45 man gameday roster.

They did away with this rule and added a 46th spot to a gameday roster.

Your 46th player could be a 3rd QB. It could be your 5th QB if you were silly enough to activate 5 QBs. But most teams don't waste a spot on a 3rd QB. But no rule prevents it.
So... I'm late to the party on this thread...

WAS Jimmy actually healthy? If so, why the hell did he not dress?
Originally posted by CainanUK:
So... I'm late to the party on this thread...

WAS Jimmy actually healthy? If so, why the hell did he not dress?

Self preservation
Correct

No the rule was mainly to carry an extra lineman on game day. Not an extra QB.

"They can also dress a 48th player — as long as the game-day roster includes at least eight offensive linemen"
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Basically there used to be a rule where you can dress a 3rd QB and not have it count toward your total players dressed. In today's game, you can dress 53 players. My understanding is you could dress 53 QBs if you wanted to. There would be no reason to do this and you would be put at a tactical disadvantage. Teams generally dress 2 as there is no gameday role for your backup QB, aside from insurance in the event the starter is injured. Most every dressed player has a role on gameday with snaps on offense, defense and/or special teams.

I imagine the rule will change for two reasons, one is ratings, a NFCCG like that isn't good for TV or competition.. also player safety, having to reinsert an injured player like we did isn't what the league wants to see. So expect the rule to return is my guess.

You can not have 53 players active for game day. You have 47 BUT you can have 48, which HAS to go to an OL (must have 8 OL active). That was the new rule setup in 2020.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 9, 2023 at 4:37 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone