LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Doubt it. He'll enter free agency, won't get an offer because of his questionable health, resign as our backup again next year. Lance, JG, Purdy. Pretty strong QB room of you ask me.

Some team will be desperate enough to overpay for him to be their starter and I don't see how Jimmy turns that down. Getting $30 Million as a starter or $12 Million as a backup?
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Doubt it. He'll enter free agency, won't get an offer because of his questionable health, resign as our backup again next year. Lance, JG, Purdy. Pretty strong QB room of you ask me.

Some team will be desperate enough to overpay for him to be their starter and I don't see how Jimmy turns that down. Getting $30 Million as a starter or $12 Million as a backup?

As long as he signs for over 18M a year I believe I read is the threshold for a 3rd!!
49ers open to keeping Jimmy G. Since he unfortunately got hurt again we can work a deal.

1,000 years Jimmy G. Build the franchise. You know and I know we are never getting rid of him.

Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Jcool:

b******t. This team needs the roster space. If it was highly unlikely he would have gone on injured reserve. Actions speak louder than words. They have more than a glimmer of hope.

They are setting expectations low. But leaving it open in case he does come back. Of course they want him back for the playoffs. You would be crazy not to. Just insane. If he is healthy and cleared he starts. Not Purdy. I don't care what anybody says. We also go further with that too.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Purdy had a free rusher on third and ten… he should have given himself up too.

https://youtube.com/shorts/wg7_Ee3dJ_o?feature=share

someone freeze frame this at the exact moment purdy should have gone down pls.

Exactly
So why was… one a sack and one a 19 yard 3rd down completion?

Different plays unfold differently. Shouldn't need to explain that.

The point the poster was making was that, had Purdy given up on the play like posters were criticizing Garoppolo for not doing, the team would have missed out on a drive-sustaining conversion.
So if it's a different play, than the posters point is irrelevant right..lol

No. Prematurely giving up on any play yields the same result, which is why entirely de-risking a play makes no sense. If this is going nowhere, please tell me now so I can bail out.
it will go nowhere cause.. my point was both plays weren't prematurely given up but one one was still successful.

if you are unable to answer...cool, but just saying it was different plays can go both ways on the matter.

I did answer, and you don't actually have a point... You just don't realize how vapid your posts are.

Have a good one, dude.

I like how he had 0 point to begin with and tried to fabricate one midway through and even then it still made 0 sense.

Exactly

The point the poster was making was that, had Purdy given up on the play like posters were criticizing Garoppolo for not doing, the team would have missed out on a drive-sustaining conversion.

No. Prematurely giving up on any play yields the same result, which is why entirely de-risking a play makes no sense. If this is going nowhere, please tell me now so I can bail out.
it will go nowhere cause.. my point was both plays weren't prematurely given up but one one was still successful.

if you are unable to answer...cool, but just saying it was different plays can go both ways on the matter.

I did answer, and you don't actually have a point... You just don't realize how vapid your posts are.

Have a good one, dude.
lol your answer had nothing to do with what i said..

question: "why was… one a sack and one a 19 yard 3rd down completion?"

answer: "Different plays unfold differently."

I'm with you except we'll resign Jimmy at a bargain and go with Jimmy as starter and Brock as backup. We'll trade Trey.
[ Edited by bigpete50 on Dec 9, 2022 at 4:01 PM ]
Originally posted by bigpete50:

I'm with you except we'll resign Jimmy at a bargain and go with Jimmy as starter and Brock as backup. We'll trade Trey.

Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

Exactly

Have a good one, dude.
lol your answer had nothing to do with what i said..

question: "why was… one a sack and one a 19 yard 3rd down completion?"

answer: "Different plays unfold differently."

Kyle actually commented and praised Purdy on this play. He said that Purdy had actually read the signs that they were coming and told Kittle to shorten his route and he held the ball as long as he could until completing that 19 yard completion.
Originally posted by bigpete50:

That made me chuckle... 🤣

Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Jcool:

b******t. This team needs the roster space. If it was highly unlikely he would have gone on injured reserve. Actions speak louder than words. They have more than a glimmer of hope.

LOL. Not putting Ridgeway on I.R. either hoping they can use a designation for Kinlaw. Mitchell the other designation. So that's 4 players eating up a roster spot that'll probably not play.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 9, 2022 at 5:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
I like how he had 0 point to begin with and tried to fabricate one midway through and even then it still made 0 sense.

Yeah hard to find any value in that exchange. I expected that going in...at least it was a short one.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
49ers open to keeping Jimmy G. Since he unfortunately got hurt again we can work a deal.

1,000 years Jimmy G. Build the franchise. You know and I know we are never getting rid of him.

😂
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Mariota getting benched. Has a higher QBR than Jimmy though. Interesting.

ESPN: Falcons bench Marcus Mariota in favor of Desmond Ridder, source says.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35211209/falcons-bench-marcus-mariota-favor-desmond-ridder-source-says

It shows the weakness of the QBR system which weighs running as heavily as it does. His NFL passer rating puts him in a tie at #20. Not good. Bench.

The only weakness here is in the eyes of the onlookers. No one number is going ever to tell an entire story in football,...yet everyone wants that and is searching endlessly for that.

Leaves alot of room for error.

In no way, shape, or form does a guy's QBR being higher than Jimmy's mean very much of anything in terms of whether they are a starter or a backup. If we are being honest with ourselves, Jimmy was benched himself. He's not Mahomes in his prime or anything.

Yes, he's played better than he has in past years with this amazing roster surrounding him but let's not act like he is some point of reference for what a great season looks like or anything from an NFL QB,...lol.

Even in perhaps his best year he left alot to be desired.

We need to -- as usual -- return to the manual or information sheet: What is the QBR Metric trying to do?

Given a full season's worth of data to compile, the QBR metric is trying to highlight difference makers @ the QB position.

Jimmy is not a difference maker. Jimmy can be having a FANTASTIC year,...but that doesn't suddenly make him a difference maker on the field of play. Both things can be true and they are not mutually exclusive.

Mariotta's not a difference maker either. So in the context of who's higher vs. who's lower, you end up lost @ sea because you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. You should have referred back to the manual,...as it doesn't claim it's trying to gauge who's having a better year on their respective teams.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sidepoint: Many NFL people will tell you that the most extreme difference maker the game has ever seen is Lawrence Taylor. But how do you gauge that or say that with numbers?

Should he have gotten 30 sacks in 1 year or 200 tackles in a season to truly separate himself from other players,....otherwise, personal accounts of the impact he had while on the field is null and void?

Do you really want to search the rest of your life looking for a number to speak for Lawrence Taylor?

Metrics can only attempt to take a shot at specific goals the creators may have in mind.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 9, 2022 at 7:59 PM ]

False. Great job getting rid of the ball in the face of pressure. 100% textbook and throwing the ball instantly essentially was giving himself up.

If Jimmy were injured on a play like this there is zero discussion regarding the topic.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 9, 2022 at 7:36 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone