There are 285 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Damn. Jimmy is gonna get flat out released. I thought he was worth something
Most likely Jimmy G. wouldn't be allowed to take a spot in the 53 man roster, so maybe Aug 31st is his last day here. Something about Sep 11th as another deadline, but anyways.
He got paid quite well for the 4 years here. Instead of going to a sub-standard team, might as well sign with the 49ers for a 2-year, 15 million deal? Easier said than done, but his only upside would be if Lance doesn't pan out to be the QB most expect him to be. Given the (absolute) lack of interest from other teams, better to be a backup with a familiar team than an unknown.
Obviously his call, whatever he thinks is best.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Most likely Jimmy G. wouldn't be allowed to take a spot in the 53 man roster, so maybe Aug 31st is his last day here. Something about Sep 11th as another deadline, but anyways.
He got paid quite well for the 4 years here. Instead of going to a sub-standard team, might as well sign with the 49ers for a 2-year, 15 million deal? Easier said than done, but his only upside would be if Lance doesn't pan out to be the QB most expect him to be. Given the (absolute) lack of interest from other teams, better to be a backup with a familiar team than an unknown.

There is only lack of interest because they know he's going to get cut.
Originally posted by 49ersking:

I think Jimmy is completely fine with being released and chosing his team of his liking. There will be suitors when teams don't have to give something up for a guy that'll all but gone anyways. He's probably a backup this year but will find a team that he has a legit chance at playing.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Jed needs to shut up, they're not keeping him.
Originally posted by mayo49:
He didn't say they were.

but if Shannalynch wants to, then he's ok with it
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
He didn't say they were.

Brought this up earlier. We all know we're not unless something happens to Trey but still love him throwing it out there. No reason no to and it's better than him saying publicly what everyone already assumes.
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
He didn't say they were.

Brought this up earlier. We all know we're not unless something happens to Trey but still love him throwing it out there. No reason no to and it's better than him saying publicly what everyone already assumes.
Yeah. They know it's better to bank the 25mil for next year than to waste it on a backup
It sure seems as if things were against us all offseason when it came to trading Jimmy.

Coming into the offseason I was sure we'd move Jimmy quickly for at least a third in THIS YEARS DRAFT! But then it was hey look what about Rodgers who we knew damn well wasn't getting away from GB. Then it was hey look Russell. The market won't move until Russell is seated.

Then it was hey what about Tom? Then it was oh he is going to TB. Now it's oh let's wait until preseason is over and let's see.

Then we saw Jimmy's lessers get traded for picks in this years draft. Then Jimmy had a surgery well after he should have already been traded for 2022 draft picks.

The media was always saying and talking about inferiors being traded that hadn't won a single playoff game in their lives and never said a peep about Jimmy

Now we are here with this guy about to lose him for nothing. Makes me think we should have taken the first thing of reasonable value early on and spent that pick in this years draft and freed up that dough and extended Deebo and whoever else we wanted to maximize Trey's rookie deal

SMH

This has been an epic fail!
If we had substantial offers on the table early on and if we cut Jimmy outright there is gonna be NO excuse where we've gotten nothing in return and had all this offseason wrangling with Deebo about his deal and made far less movement this off-season with moving and signing veterans we could have made

It is like we were in some type of post Rams loss hangover or something! I think I would have at a minimum gotten a third this years draft for Jimmy way back in February hindsight being twenty twenty. And then for that I'll timed surgery well that's another thing all together. SMH

Watching the Texans game and Mills doesn't look good at all. Wouldn't be surprised if the Texans do something for Jimmy. Lovie's not going to get another HC gig after this and needs a better option.
  • NDSU
  • Veteran
Rita Oak is free in 20 days.
nt
[ Edited by Polkadots on Aug 19, 2022 at 9:16 PM ]
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
Watching the Texans game and Mills doesn't look good at all. Wouldn't be surprised if the Texans do something for Jimmy. Lovie's not going to get another HC gig after this and needs a better option.

Why would the Texans give up anything / want JG? They were not good last year. They are going to be a dumpster fire this year. Further, why the hell, if I am JG, would I want to go to the Texans? Makes no sense--for either party. And Lovie will be fine.
I hope we release Jimmy and he ends up starting in Seattle. This is my prime scenario.
Share 49ersWebzone