LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:
Jimmy ain't practicing or in meetings. Keeping him on the 53 would be ridiculous.

agree.. we talk about people earning their keep. to give jimmy a roster spot and cut someone who busts it like say. hasty...... when jimmy has done nothing to earn a spot is well. ridiculous
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I'm pretty sure he's just playing the game. If Jed were to come out and say " We're looking to trade Jimmy, but if we can't we will cut him on August 30th," then the team would lose any trade leverage that may be out there. He trying to keep interest high until that "break glass in case of emergency" moment in which they have no other choice but to say goodbye.

The problem with this line of thinking is the more you talk the more it looks like you're trying to convince someone of something. Teams saw what he said five months ago. Teams see what's happening now. Jed isn't moving the needle.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
Actually like that Jed came out and said he's happy to keep Jimmy this year if that's the direction JL and KS decide. Need to keep teams on their toes that this is an actual possibility and he's not definitely going to be cut.

speaking of the worst thing that could happen to this team in my opinion

I'm pretty sure he's just playing the game. If Jed were to come out and say " We're looking to trade Jimmy, but if we can't we will cut him on August 30th," then the team would lose any trade leverage that may be out there. He trying to keep interest high until that "break glass in case of emergency" moment in which they have no other choice but to say goodbye.

Yeah, and I'm sure there's a bit of deference to Lynch and Shanahan that if they DO do the unlikely thing to keep Jimmy... he supports them on it.
And he's also keeping the door open that if, knock on wood, Trey himself should get injured... we keep Jimmy.

But all in all... people shouldn't think so hard on what our front office says in regards to any type of negotiations. There's so much posturing going around, ongoing communication, etc. etc. The Deebo Samuel contract negotiation, where it seemed like Deebo publicly was done with the 49ers, is a good example of why we shouldn't read so much into what's put out publicly.
Originally posted by Polkadots:

The problem with this line of thinking is the more you talk the more it looks like you're trying to convince someone of something. Teams saw what he said five months ago. Teams see what's happening now. Jed isn't moving the needle.

Part is that you also have the value of Jimmy as insurance during pre-season/TC. Why release him now, give him the chance to get a full TC with a division rival when you still have an outside chance something happens to Lance? It's lose-lose.

It's the same reason the Pat's held on to Jimmy until the trade deadline. He was injury insurance against Brady up until the last moment.

We're playing the same game.
At this point. I am not so sure JG plays this season unless he takes a backup role and gets an opportunity if the start gets hurt or under performs. Just gaining chemistry and learning the playbook is enough for that to come true never mind all the other baggage he brings to the table.
Originally posted by TD49ers:
At this point. I am not so sure JG plays this season unless he takes a backup role and gets an opportunity if the start gets hurt or under performs. Just gaining chemistry and learning the playbook is enough for that to come true never mind all the other baggage he brings to the table.

Seems like the Browns will get Jimmy as a FA. If Jimmy ever wants to be a starter again, he has to showcase he's valuable enough to go out and sign in 2023. And the Browns are the best roster, unless Brady doesn't return. The browns are best suited to win games where Jimmy can just a part of the team, rely on a strong rung game and timely 3rd down throws.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by TD49ers:

Seems like the Browns will get Jimmy as a FA. If Jimmy ever wants to be a starter again, he has to showcase he's valuable enough to go out and sign in 2023. And the Browns are the best roster, unless Brady doesn't return. The browns are best suited to win games where Jimmy can just a part of the team, rely on a strong rung game and timely 3rd down throws.
Jimmy said he wanted to be traded to a winner, i doubt he feels like taking a back seat afer beiing released.

He's going to take the best option on a team who will start him, so he can sign a better deal in 2023
Jimmy G has 1 year left on his contract, and always gets significantly injured in even year seasons. that's the real reason nobody has traded for him.
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Aug 19, 2022 at 5:08 PM ]
Jimmy is insurance for any team in the league if their starter goes down. Including this team. Once the season starts, he is not needed here.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

No surprise. They've never given the impression that they believe, right or wrong, that Jimmy would be an upgrade over Jacoby Brissett.
Hahaha

I highly highly doubt it happens(it won't) but I personally am not sold on Sudfield at all. Purdy needs a year at least on the PS.

Browns gonna Brown
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:

Browns gonna Brown

They're delusional as f**k if they think Brissett is better than Jimmy. Even with the talent that we have no way in hell Brissett does the things Jimmy did here other than stay healthier. Then can waste a season with a good roster and be up against the cap next year for all I care
Share 49ersWebzone