LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 395 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Brucey72:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

If they make a trade for Jimmy you would think it would as soon as possible. If trade isn't done this week I doubt it happens bc we are awfully close to release date. I still don't see it tho.

Agreed
Originally posted by scooterp10:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
It does not.

Why not?

Because no draft pick we would be getting from them would be worth the capspace rollover we would be losing next season. Every week we hold Jimmy in the season would cost us almost approx $1.5M in that rollover. So unless you are talking about trading him week 1, holding him into the season makes no sense.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
It will take Watson time to get into game shape. The odds of the Browns making the playoff this season with Brissett playing 11 games not good. Not sure if Jimmy G changes that. Jimmy G is certainly better, but maybe not if he joins the team so late.

Not sure if the Browns ownership and FO have pressure to make it to the playoff this season.

They run damn near the same offense. They have a top end D and a stud running game. Jimmy makes all the sense in the world if they're truly trying to win. Brissett ain't it.

Honestly I have no idea why they would try and tank the season anyway? It's not like they gain higher draft picks…those are all going to the Texans.
Trade might be 50 50. I certainly don't think it is dead, but if it is going to happen, it will happen quickly.

There is a good chance the Browns won't be able to sign Jimmy G. From Jimmy G's perspective, Seahawks makes much more sense. If he has options, he won't chose the Browns to head back to the bench after 11 games. He won't be "The QB" in the locker room.

Now do the team's perspective, since ultimately that is what matters most.

I was just saying the Browns cannot be betting to get Jimmy G in FA. If they want Jimmy G, they need to trade for him.

Sure, it would be dumb to bet on it. But maybe the Browns would be interested in signing him but not trading for him. Thats very possible and logical.
It will take Watson time to get into game shape. The odds of the Browns making the playoff this season with Brissett playing 11 games not good. Not sure if Jimmy G changes that. Jimmy G is certainly better, but maybe not if he joins the team so late.

Not sure if the Browns ownership and FO have pressure to make it to the playoff this season.

Maybe the Browns arent sure if Jimmy G changes that either. That is why its very possible they would be interested in bringing Jimmy in as a free agent but not trade for him.
People don't honestly think we are gonna keep the guy that has been excused and pretty much told not to come to practice do they?
Originally posted by scooterp10:
It does not.

Why not?

Because no draft pick we would be getting from them would be worth the capspace rollover we would be losing next season. Every week we hold Jimmy in the season would cost us almost approx $1.5M in that rollover. So unless you are talking about trading him week 1, holding him into the season makes no sense.

Yeah I agree there…dude isn't taking part in TC and doesn't even have a playbook. He's affectively not a member of this team right now, we just hold his rights.

feel sorta bad for him…then I realize SF paid him over $100M based on 5 mid season pointless games, then I don't feel that bad…oh and he's handsome lol. Jimmy gonna be just fine
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
So the 49ers were upset with Jimmy's lack of communication with the team, yet still decided to stick with him after 2019 when Brady was begging to be a Niner?

wut?!

1.) That's a rumor. It's certainly probable, but whether the 49ers were actually upset or concerned is another question.
2.) It's Jimmy's prerogative on how much/little he wants to communicate during the offseason. The CBA allows for that.
3.) Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, they just went to a Super Bowl and lost a very close game. At the time, Jimmy was under 30 and hadn't fully shown all his warts (injury history, penchant for bad decisions, etc) and Tom Brady was thought to be on the verge of retirement.
So the 49ers were upset with Jimmy's lack of communication with the team, yet still decided to stick with him after 2019 when Brady was begging to be a Niner?

wut?!

Yup those unnamed sources from nearly 5 years ago that contradict the fact we stuck with him all this time.. including starting him in 2021 after drafting TL.. gotta go with the unnamed guys over what you see with your own eyes tho
Originally posted by Wubbie:

wut?!

1.) That's a rumor. It's certainly probable, but whether the 49ers were actually upset or concerned is another question.
2.) It's Jimmy's prerogative on how much/little he wants to communicate during the offseason. The CBA allows for that.
3.) Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, they just went to a Super Bowl and lost a very close game. At the time, Jimmy was under 30 and hadn't fully shown all his warts (injury history, penchant for bad decisions, etc) and Tom Brady was thought to be on the verge of retirement.

Agreed with all of this other than what precedes and is in the parenthesis.

Maybe the Browns arent sure if Jimmy G changes that either. That is why its very possible they would be interested in bringing Jimmy in as a free agent but not trade for him.

Unless SF is asking for too much (which they probably are) then it shouldn't be some massive thing to trade a conditional pick for a guy you're planning on starting over half the year on a playoff caliber roster. No way is it some competition. I haven't heard anything great from Cleveland with Brissett thus far. Nor should you be….he's a backup QB in the NFL. IMO Jimmy is a starter just not a guy you want to make your FQB for the next decade.

They could end up spending more cash if he's released or just not get him all together. All because they want to keep a pick they probably f**k up anyway lol.

Lynch lost the poker game. Just cut him tomorrow. What's the point?
Possible Browns QB1 posts to their Twitter timeline:

Darnold
Dalton
JG
Brissett ** likely winner **
Daniel Jones
Andrew Luck
Couch
Kosar
Trade might be 50 50. I certainly don't think it is dead, but if it is going to happen, it will happen quickly.

There is a good chance the Browns won't be able to sign Jimmy G. From Jimmy G's perspective, Seahawks makes much more sense. If he has options, he won't chose the Browns to head back to the bench after 11 games. He won't be "The QB" in the locker room.

Now do the team's perspective, since ultimately that is what matters most.

I was just saying the Browns cannot be betting to get Jimmy G in FA. If they want Jimmy G, they need to trade for him.

Sure, it would be dumb to bet on it. But maybe the Browns would be interested in signing him but not trading for him. Thats very possible and logical.
I never dismissed that possibility.

Have you dismissed the possibility of a trade with the Browns??
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Lynch lost the poker game. Just cut him tomorrow. What's the point?

The point is to not do Jimmy nor Seattle any favors.
Share 49ersWebzone