There are 75 users in the forums

QB Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by picklejuice:
Can someone explain to me what a Jimmy G truther is?

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Yeah I agree. Even if we want to pay $5.3M for a 3rd round pick, I dont see any team willing to pay the remaining $20M and give up that pick. Makes zero sense from the other team's point of view. Said team could easily just wait for him to be cut, not have to give up a pick and pay him substantially less.

For us to make a trade with anyone, Jimmy is going to have to agree to a massive paycut (similar to what he would get as a free agent)...only he wouldnt be controlling anything in this trade scenario like he would as a free agent. I just dont see it being realistic at all for him to be traded at this point. Hope I am wrong, but I just cant see it.

SWH, you and I both are old enough to remember when JG was the Crown Jewel of the offseason.. those were the days
  • dj43
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by dj43:
That is a real dilemma.

Obviously, the FO wants to get some value in trade for him, but if there is no film on him post-surgery, teams will be less willing to make a deal.

Teams know the kind of player he is but want to ensure they get a healthy version. Hence, they will want to see him play. Lacking that, he is released and winds up in Seattle.

We still talking the "value" thing 9 days into August ?
Jimmy has zero value in trade at his salary, considering he will be released if not traded.

And it has pretty much nothing to do with health. The injury is just a convenient out for all parties involved.

We have seen multiple ways for teams to deal with salary issues if they want the player. I do not buy the narrative that his salary is the only thing, or even a major thing, that is holding back a trade.

As has been noted many times by many sources, the injury ended all trade talk.
Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
A fully healthy Jimmy who is cut will then sign for around 25M per year, right ?

Surely, if health was the thing that precluded Jimmy from having any trade value, there will be a team that will be ecstatic to pay him 25M without giving up a pick, once he is fully healthy? Surely.

If Jimmy, when cut, signs for ~12-14m a season, that means there was zero trade value for him at his contract, regardless of health. Only if Niners took on some of that contract. Which was not feasible to start with.

This is not true. At. All.

Why do people not understand that THE ONLY PERSON TO EAT SALARY IN A TRADE IS JIMMY?

Jimmy's contract is NOT guaranteed. Therefore, any interested team will need to work out NEW/REDUCED salary before engaging SF about trade compensation.

BAKER'S salary was guaranteed. Completely different story.

How is this fan base, with people who post a ton on here, so misinformed?
It's just amazing at this point . It's like a huge portion of the WZ can't comprehend the fact that his salary wasn't guaranteed, or that salary negotiations are pretty routine during trades without that guarantee. I gave up
pointing this out . It's mind boggling so many can't get the concept.

Here is my stance, which to your point, I have tried to mention many times but just gave up.

No, Jimmy was not going to play for $25M next year. Not for us, not for anyone. But even though the contract wasnt guaranteed, its still what he is currently signed for. So yes, he would have to agree to take a paycut for the season. That would be on Jimmy and the team trading for him. Jimmy would have had to agree to it. People say he would have, but really no one knows for sure that he would be comfortable cutting his salary in half. So if Jimmy and the new team couldnt come to terms with a much lower salary, either WE would have to eat a lot of money, or the new team would withdraw the trade request.

Its pretty simple IMO. You are right that he would never play for $25M this coming season. However, you are missing the fact that it would have been very realistic for a cut to end up happening due to not being able to come to terms with a salary for the year.

It's simple. No one is paying that much. He takes a cut or he won't play. With no salary guarantee going into a trade it would have been a negotiation with any team that approached him. Apparently due to the injury, or the alignment of the stars , what have you, it looks like no one did approach him. The $25 m is a fantasy people keep using as a crutch for their arguments.
I wonder how Jimmy's confidence is doing right about now, knowing that he has little to know interest or value and little chance of being a starter in the NFL this year. It must really suck for him.

I don't have anything against Jimmy. He was decent for us, albeit frustrating at times. I'm definitely ready to see what Trey has to offer. I also feel bad for Jimmy, but the team has to come first. So he sits in limbo until the last possible moment. Oh well. Moving on...
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
I wonder how Jimmy's confidence is doing right about now, knowing that he has little to know interest or value and little chance of being a starter in the NFL this year. It must really suck for him.

I don't have anything against Jimmy. He was decent for us, albeit frustrating at times. I'm definitely ready to see what Trey has to offer. I also feel bad for Jimmy, but the team has to come first. So he sits in limbo until the last possible moment. Oh well. Moving on...

Jimmy was the weakest link on a SB worthy team with the right side of the o-line a close second.

Confidence.. this is JG you are talking about.. Here's a man who brings together peppercorn ranch with Italian meats like his Nana used to make. He hits on female reporters in front of their husbands.

You're sure he doesn't have a deal in place for the second he's cut?? With perhaps Seattle, pitts, NYG, or browns.
Originally posted by Scooper1:
You're sure he doesn't have a deal in place for the second he's cut?? With perhaps Seattle, pitts, NYG, or Subway to be Face of the Franchise.

FTFY

You're sure he doesn't have a deal in place for the second he's cut?? With perhaps Seattle, pitts, NYG, or browns.

Sea or NYG no doubt. He won't be on the market long.

Bro, he doesn't care. Just like when he throws a couple picks in the game. I doubt anything fazes him
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Yeah I agree. Even if we want to pay $5.3M for a 3rd round pick, I dont see any team willing to pay the remaining $20M and give up that pick. Makes zero sense from the other team's point of view. Said team could easily just wait for him to be cut, not have to give up a pick and pay him substantially less.

For us to make a trade with anyone, Jimmy is going to have to agree to a massive paycut (similar to what he would get as a free agent)...only he wouldnt be controlling anything in this trade scenario like he would as a free agent. I just dont see it being realistic at all for him to be traded at this point. Hope I am wrong, but I just cant see it.

SWH, you and I both are old enough to remember when JG was the Crown Jewel of the offseason.. those were the days

I can't believe you and a few others actually convinced me to believe that. Should have stuck to my guns the whole offseason hahaha
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:

Fwiw all the giants fans are saying hell no to Jimmy. They'd rather go with Taylor.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:

Fwiw all the giants fans are saying hell no to Jimmy. They'd rather go with Taylor.

Just like here, their fans don't make decisions.
Originally posted by mojave45:
It's simple. No one is paying that much. He takes a cut or he won't play. With no salary guarantee going into a trade it would have been a negotiation with any team that approached him. Apparently due to the injury, or the alignment of the stars , what have you, it looks like no one did approach him. The $25 m is a fantasy people keep using as a crutch for their arguments.

It's absolutely something that is a factor in making a trade for him. Huge factor. If he was guaranteed 10M, it would be substantially easier to trade for him. Honestly not even sure how this is debatable. The $25M non-guaranteed salary makes it much more difficult and a hurdle that would have to be overcome for all parties.
Share 49ersWebzone