There are 192 users in the forums

QB Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by RackofRibs49:

stop comparing top tier QBs to jimmy.. maybe use 2nd and 3rd tier QBs to make a point

Jimmy threw 12 interceptions, his 12 are no worse than Mahomes 13 or Josh Allens 15. Now both of those guys are top tier an QBs, I'm not saying Jimmy is on their level so I ask that people like Steve not to make up lies that I'm comparing talent,
I should've added you with Steve. Why you guys gotta lie is beyond me.
There isn't any lies, but pure denial.

1-1 TD Ratio is not a good QB no matter what you think

Thats has nothing to do with the conversation. You are all over the place.

You said stop comparing QBs, I specifically said I wasn't. Like 100% said "I'm not saying Jimmy is on their level so I ask that people like Steve not to make up lies that I'm comparing talent,"

You said "stop comparing top tier QBs to jimmy"

Focus
When you have to add another QB to any conversation or to make a point, that is a comparison

. Now both of those guys are top tier an QBs, I'm not saying Jimmy is on their level so I ask that people like Steve not to make up lies that I'm comparing talent, he's not even close,

Just stop. The point was extremely simple. Even the best throw bad interceptions, why would I use a 3rd tier QB to make that point? You're arguing just to argue.
[ Edited by RackofRibs49 on May 22, 2022 at 9:00 AM ]
I enjoy trying to lead the blind away from the freeway

Good luck with that

stop comparing top tier QBs to jimmy.. maybe use 2nd and 3rd tier QBs to make a point

Jimmy threw 12 interceptions, his 12 are no worse than Mahomes 13 or Josh Allens 15. Now both of those guys are top tier an QBs, I'm not saying Jimmy is on their level so I ask that people like Steve not to make up lies that I'm comparing talent,
I should've added you with Steve. Why you guys gotta lie is beyond me.
There isn't any lies, but pure denial.

1-1 TD Ratio is not a good QB no matter what you think

Thats has nothing to do with the conversation. You are all over the place.

You said stop comparing QBs, I specifically said I wasn't. Like 100% said "I'm not saying Jimmy is on their level so I ask that people like Steve not to make up lies that I'm comparing talent,"

You said "stop comparing top tier QBs to jimmy"

Focus
When you have to add another QB to any conversation or to make a point, that is a comparison

. Now both of those guys are top tier an QBs, I'm not saying Jimmy is on their level so I ask that people like Steve not to make up lies that I'm comparing talent, he's not even close,

Just stop. The point was extremely simple. Even the best throw bad interceptions, why would I use a 3rd tier QB to make that point? You're arguing just to argue.
Not arguing just stating the facts.

INTs have a larger impact on the game if that QB doesn't throw TDs. If jimmy threw TDs like the QBs you compared him to, then this would be a non-issue
Not arguing just stating the facts.

INTs have a larger impact on the game if that QB doesn't throw TDs. If jimmy threw TDs like the QBs you compared him to, then this would be a non-issue

Now both of those guys are top tier an QBs, I'm not saying Jimmy is on their level so I ask that people like Steve not to make up lies that I'm comparing talent, he's not even close

I agree Jimmy needed more tds.

[ Edited by RackofRibs49 on May 22, 2022 at 9:42 AM ]
forget getting a pick for Jimmy, let's get a center prospect.

This and a similar mistake, NOT the Sanders miss, is why we lost. He predetermines his reads most the time. Trey doesn't, and that is the true reason he will be an upgrade.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

This and a similar mistake, NOT the Sanders miss, is why we lost. He predetermines his reads most the time. Trey doesn't, and that is the true reason he will be an upgrade.

The FIRST one. And the others. But the LAST one, that was on the WR. I'm 95% certain that's a route where the WR runs the corner if it's man (which it was).
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

The FIRST one. And the others. But the LAST one, that was on the WR. I'm 95% certain that's a route where the WR runs the corner if it's man (which it was).

LOOK how bad his foot work was... and how shallow he drops back?? no way he can see a deeper route when he's dropping shollow in the pocket and rushers getting closer and closer...
Originally posted by random49er:
Jimmy is pretty average when it comes to interceptions. I've stated this before but 90%(a guess) of all interceptions are terrible throws or bad reads. People keep trying to make Jimmy out to be some outlier but every single QB in the history of the sport is responsible for terrible throws and reads.

I think he was around 23rd in INT%,...and his TD/INT Ratio didn't make up for it either,...as he ranked right around the same place. That 1.67 TD/INT Ratio's nothing to brag about with only 20 TDs.

Given the strength of our team, I'd say he was pretty abysmal when it comes to interceptions and production.

/Cue the poster in the Trey Lance thread ranting and raving that Jimmy was "rarely stopped" last year.

Stafford just proves how meh these numbers are. My point is still 100% intact that no QB throws a good interception. You guys try to act like Jimmy is the only player in NFL history that throws stupid passes when every single QB in NFL history throws terrible interceptions and misreads. I mean... that is why the pass is usually intercepted.

(You HAD to have known this was coming...)

Actually, TD to INT ratio correlates decently with win percentage—better than YAC, COMP% and CAY/A. It's correlation coefficient is 0.5197, which indicates a moderate positive correlation.

That said, TDs per attempt has a stronger correlation with win%, at 0.7236.

Lol cheers but the list quoted above says otherwise. I dont need the analytics. Stafford won a Superbowl and he was average in that area. Tom Brady is a great. Josh Allen... 5 out of the top 10(a really quick glance) didn't even make the playoffs.

My point still stands that a vast majority of interceptions are bad throws and bad reads. The ratio has no bearing on this. 12 interceptions in a season was near average. No analytics or making this complicated.

After you threw out a 90% rating out of "only Lord knows where," the actual calculated, factual analytics (that dont say anything except facts) are no longer needed? Uhmmm,...ok.

I wouldnt say he's average when it comes to INTs as of now. I'd have to put him at below average as he not only rated around 23rd worst in the category, but his subpar production didnt make up for it (unlike Stafford's more-than-double TD production).
Jimmy is pretty average when it comes to interceptions. I've stated this before but 90%(a guess) of all interceptions are terrible throws or bad reads. People keep trying to make Jimmy out to be some outlier but every single QB in the history of the sport is responsible for terrible throws and reads.

I think he was around 23rd in INT%,...and his TD/INT Ratio didn't make up for it either,...as he ranked right around the same place. That 1.67 TD/INT Ratio's nothing to brag about with only 20 TDs.

Given the strength of our team, I'd say he was pretty abysmal when it comes to interceptions and production.

/Cue the poster in the Trey Lance thread ranting and raving that Jimmy was "rarely stopped" last year.

Stafford just proves how meh these numbers are. My point is still 100% intact that no QB throws a good interception. You guys try to act like Jimmy is the only player in NFL history that throws stupid passes when every single QB in NFL history throws terrible interceptions and misreads. I mean... that is why the pass is usually intercepted.

Actually, TD to INT ratio correlates decently with win percentage—better than YAC, COMP% and CAY/A. It's correlation coefficient is 0.5197, which indicates a moderate positive correlation.

Lol cheers but the list quoted above says otherwise. I dont need the analytics. Stafford won a Superbowl and he was average in that area. Tom Brady is a great. Josh Allen... 5 out of the top 10(a really quick glance) didn't even make the playoffs.

My point still stands that a vast majority of interceptions are bad throws and bad reads. The ratio has no bearing on this. 12 interceptions in a season was near average. No analytics or making this complicated.

No, it doesn't. This list is truncated. It is missing the bottom 10 QBs (my guess it was deliberately truncated to make sure Jimmy was at the bottom, which seems kind of petty, since everyone ought to be aware that there are more than 21 starting QBs in the NFL). Stafford was above average in this statistic.

Huh? It was truncated and even highlighted with Jimmy's name in yellow to show where he ranked, as stated in the post.

That's simply sticking to the point of the post: He was below average in these categories.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Jimmy was 10th overall in INT% this past season at 2.7%. His avg in SF is 2.9%

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing.htm

as far as Stafford goes, I'll take 41 TDs with a 2.8 INT%. Also it's a reason we talk about "air yards" when overall your IAY is low and you have a high INT%, objectively that's not good at all.

Help me out with this list from the same exact website then.

And I'll caution onlookers early that it is highlighted and truncated to show clearly where Jimmy Garoppolo ranked at and behind.

They had the league MVP @ 1st with 0.8% and Jimmy @ 23rd best (not worst,...perhaps a Freudian slip earlier is the possible cause for confusion?)

But yea given the limited TD production, I gotta see these #s as below average.

Perhaps some others feel that all of the YAC yards from Deebo and others make up for it, and we'll just have to agree to disagree.
[ Edited by random49er on May 22, 2022 at 2:22 PM ]
Oh it 100% was done on purpose. random is the guy who said the equipment manager did as much as Jimmy. He lost any sort of truthfulness with that blatant haterism.

"If Jimmy LED the 49ers to the NFC Title Game or the NFL Superbowl a couple yrs prior,...then so did the equipment manager. We are ignoring what really happened and judging on performance by association, right?"

The fact that you feel the need to change up my words and win a "fantasy argument" no one ever made only strengthens my original statement from my vantage point.
[ Edited by random49er on May 22, 2022 at 2:27 PM ]
Originally posted by 9moon:

LOOK how bad his foot work was... and how shallow he drops back?? no way he can see a deeper route when he's dropping shollow in the pocket and rushers getting closer and closer...

I remember people saying Kap was the only QB that made those type of mistakes.
Help me out with this list from the same exact website then.

And I'll caution onlookers early that it is highlighted and truncated to show clearly where Jimmy Garoppolo ranked at and behind.

They had the league MVP @ 1st with 0.8% and Jimmy @ 23rd best (not worst,...perhaps a Freudian slip earlier is the possible cause for confusion?)

But yea given the limited TD production, I gotta see these #s as below average.

Perhaps some others feel that all of the YAC yards from Deebo and others make up for it, and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

the higher the INT% the more you turn the ball over.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 22, 2022 at 4:26 PM ]

No, it doesn't. This list is truncated. It is missing the bottom 10 QBs (my guess it was deliberately truncated to make sure Jimmy was at the bottom, which seems kind of petty, since everyone ought to be aware that there are more than 21 starting QBs in the NFL). Stafford was above average in this statistic.

Huh? It was truncated and even highlighted with Jimmy's name in yellow to show where he ranked, as stated in the post.

That's simply sticking to the point of the post: He was below average in these categories.

The point I was making is that by truncating that data, one might make a faulty conclusion about how TD/INT correlates with winning—primarily because this leaves out the worst QBs.
Share 49ersWebzone