There are 124 users in the forums

QB Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What happened to the Jimmy trade value thread? Was that question answered?
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Originally posted by RackofRibs49:
Jimmy is pretty average when it comes to interceptions. I've stated this before but 90%(a guess) of all interceptions are terrible throws or bad reads. People keep trying to make Jimmy out to be some outlier but every single QB in the history of the sport is responsible for terrible throws and reads.

I think he was around 23rd in INT%,...and his TD/INT Ratio didn't make up for it either,...as he ranked right around the same place. That 1.67 TD/INT Ratio's nothing to brag about with only 20 TDs.

Given the strength of our team, I'd say he was pretty abysmal when it comes to interceptions and production.

/Cue the poster in the Trey Lance thread ranting and raving that Jimmy was "rarely stopped" last year.
[ Edited by random49er on May 21, 2022 at 12:04 PM ]

He's soon becoming the QB version of Dontae Johnson.. maybe he'll find himself a new team In 2023 cause I don't see him being released/traded anytime soon.

Jimmy answered it in the Playoffs.
Originally posted by random49er:
Jimmy is pretty average when it comes to interceptions. I've stated this before but 90%(a guess) of all interceptions are terrible throws or bad reads. People keep trying to make Jimmy out to be some outlier but every single QB in the history of the sport is responsible for terrible throws and reads.

I think he was around 23rd in INT%,...and his TD/INT Ratio didn't make up for it either,...as he ranked right around the same place. That 1.67 TD/INT Ratio's nothing to brag about with only 20 TDs.

Given the strength of our team, I'd say he was pretty abysmal when it comes to interceptions and production.

/Cue the poster in the Trey Lance thread ranting and raving that Jimmy was "rarely stopped" last year.

Stafford just proves how meh these numbers are. My point is still 100% intact that no QB throws a good interception. You guys try to act like Jimmy is the only player in NFL history that throws stupid passes when every single QB in NFL history throws terrible interceptions and misreads. I mean... that is why the pass is usually intercepted.
[ Edited by RackofRibs49 on May 21, 2022 at 2:50 PM ]

Stafford just proves how meh these numbers are. My point is still 100% intact that no QB throws a good interception. You guys try to act like Jimmy is the only player in NFL history that throws stupid passes when every single QB in NFL history throws terrible interceptions and misreads. I mean... that is why the pass is usually intercepted.

Lol

(You HAD to have known this was coming...)

Actually, TD to INT ratio correlates decently with win percentage—better than YAC, COMP% and CAY/A. It's correlation coefficient is 0.5197, which indicates a moderate positive correlation.

That said, TDs per attempt has a stronger correlation with win%, at 0.7236.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on May 21, 2022 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

Actually, TD to INT ratio correlates decently with win percentage—better than YAC, COMP% and CAY/A. It's correlation coefficient is 0.5197, which indicates a moderate positive correlation.

Lol cheers but the list quoted above says otherwise. I dont need the analytics. Stafford won a Superbowl and he was average in that area. Tom Brady is a great. Josh Allen... 5 out of the top 10(a really quick glance) didn't even make the playoffs.

My point still stands that a vast majority of interceptions are bad throws and bad reads. The ratio has no bearing on this. 12 interceptions in a season was near average. No analytics or making this complicated.
[ Edited by RackofRibs49 on May 21, 2022 at 6:20 PM ]
Lol cheers but the list quoted above says otherwise. I dont need the analytics. Stafford won a Superbowl and he was average in that area. Tom Brady is a great. Josh Allen... 5 out of the top 10(a really quick glance) didn't even make the playoffs.

My point still stands that a vast majority of interceptions are bad throws and bad reads. The ratio has no bearing on this. 12 interceptions in a season was near average. No analytics or making this complicated.

Tom Brady 719 attempts w/ 12 int
Josh Allen 646 attempts w/ 15 int
Matthew Stafford 601 attempts w/ 17 int
Kirk Cousins 561 attempts w/ 7 int
Aaron Rodgers 531 attempts w/ 4 int
Mac Jones 521 attempts w/ 13 int
Jimmy Garoppolo 441 attempts w/ 12 int

Though fairly accurate, stating twelve interceptions is about average lacks context. Yes, he did not throw a ton of interceptions, but he wasn't asked to throw as much as many of the others. Nor was his positive production similar to (many of) the others above him on that list.

You seem stuck on Stafford, but if you keep the same percentages, and ask JG to throw as much as Staffiord, JG would end up with 16.4 interceptions. For all intents and purposes, the same as Stafford, while simultaneously being far less impactful (positively).

The vast majority of interceptions are bad throws and or bad reads. I'll give you that. But that doesn't really bolster anything re JG. He was average (most of us here think he is an average NFL QB) in the area being discussed, while being asked to do far less than many of his peers.

No, it doesn't. This list is truncated. It is missing the bottom 10 QBs (my guess it was deliberately truncated to make sure Jimmy was at the bottom, which seems kind of petty, since everyone ought to be aware that there are more than 21 starting QBs in the NFL). Stafford was above average in this statistic.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on May 22, 2022 at 4:48 AM ]

Jimmy was 10th overall in INT% this past season at 2.7%. His avg in SF is 2.9%

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing.htm

as far as Stafford goes, I'll take 41 TDs with a 2.8 INT%. Also it's a reason we talk about "air yards" when overall your IAY is low and you have a high INT%, objectively that's not good at all.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 22, 2022 at 5:28 AM ]

No, it doesn't. This list is truncated. It is missing the bottom 10 QBs (my guess it was deliberately truncated to make sure Jimmy was at the bottom, which seems kind of petty, since everyone ought to be aware that there are more than 21 starting QBs in the NFL). Stafford was above average in this statistic.

Oh it 100% was done on purpose. random is the guy who said the equipment manager did as much as Jimmy. He lost any sort of truthfulness with that blatant haterism.

My point is Jimmy threw 12 interceptions all seasons which again is middle of the pack. I agree he needed to throw more tds though we moved the ball and scored points decently as an offense. The ratio is irrelevant with the point I'm making that no interception is a good interception. Jimmy threw 12 interceptions, his 12 are no worse than Mahomes 13 or Josh Allens 15. Now both of those guys are top tier an QBs, I'm not saying Jimmy is on their level so I ask that people like Steve not to make up lies that I'm comparing talent, he's not even close, but what I'm saying is that trying to make Jimmy look bad because he threw some bad interceptions is reaching. Sure most of those 12 we're terrible throws but so we're most of Josh Allens. So we're Mahomes. Again that has nothing to do with ratios.

I agree his ratio was pretty meh, I don't agree that his 12 interceptions we're any worse than any other QBs interceptions. An interception is a bad throw or read a vast majority of the time for every single QB.

Oh it 100% was done on purpose. random is the guy who said the equipment manager did as much as Jimmy. He lost any sort of truthfulness with that blatant haterism.

My point is Jimmy threw 12 interceptions all seasons which again is middle of the pack. I agree he needed to throw more tds though we moved the ball and scored points decently as an offense. The ratio is irrelevant with the point I'm making that no interception is a good interception. Jimmy threw 12 interceptions, his 12 are no worse than Mahomes 13 or Josh Allens 15. Now both of those guys are top tier an QBs, I'm not saying Jimmy is on their level so I ask that people like Steve not to make up lies that I'm comparing talent, he's not even close, but what I'm saying is that trying to make Jimmy look bad because he threw some bad interceptions is reaching. Sure most of those 12 we're terrible throws but so we're most of Josh Allens. So we're Mahomes. Again that has nothing to do with ratios.

I agree his ratio was pretty meh, I don't agree that his 12 interceptions we're any worse than any other QBs interceptions. An interception is a bad throw or read a vast majority of the time for every single QB.
Lol it all has to do with ratios. Jimmy was close to 1-1… but what if Jimmy was 1-2 ? you think that is still good lol

stop comparing top tier QBs to jimmy.. maybe use 2nd and 3rd tier QBs to make a point
Share 49ersWebzone