There are 149 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Goatie:
By a hell of a lot. Same with fumbles. He is still a developing player.

Yup he's doing better in the TO category...I hope by year 8 of Lance's NFL career you will be saying he's still a developing player all the same
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
Picks like this happen often. Look at cousins, he did the same thing. Lamar, same thing. Brady... UnFaithful favorite Stafford. A good chunk of interceptions are mistakes and misreads made by the QB. Here's the guy you guys slobbered all over for months straight.

As I said... Interceptions are more often than not mistakes, terrible throws, or misreads. This isn't groundbreaking. Was Jimmy's throw garbage? Yes. Are most interceptions garbage decisions or throws? Yes.

Not sure what your point is? It was a bad throw/decision and it lead to a INT. Yes other QBs do it...and they get called out for it all the same.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Those first rounders used for Trey don't hurt as much when you get a 6th round gem like Mitchell. Jimmy ( think) is a very good QB, and the difference between Jimmy being a Very good QB and a potentially *great* QB that wears the yellow jacket is health. NY85 points out Jimmy's mechanics limiting him. I think he does get a bit lazy in his mechanics, but it's not a deal breaker and - again - keep in mind, as much as he's a 30 year old QB, he's effectively been playing only 2.5+ years because he's not been healthy. So I don't really look at him as a 30 year old vet, but more of a 25 year old in terms of experience. From a mental point of view, I can see him getting better, but from a physical talent point of view, his injuries really has robbed him of some of his prime physically productive years.

But I was told sitting and "developing" is the best thing for a QB? Jimmy has gotten to do that more than any QB, he should be mentally there more than ever....or does actually playing make a player better
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
that's my quarterback 😭

I was very surprised how much pressure they got on our OL in PP given all their DL injuries.

Doesn't MINN lead the league in sacks?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Picks like this happen often. Look at cousins, he did the same thing. Lamar, same thing. Brady... UnFaithful favorite Stafford. A good chunk of interceptions are mistakes and misreads made by the QB. Here's the guy you guys slobbered all over for months straight.

As I said... Interceptions are more often than not mistakes, terrible throws, or misreads. This isn't groundbreaking. Was Jimmy's throw garbage? Yes. Are most interceptions garbage decisions or throws? Yes.

Not sure what your point is? It was a bad throw/decision and it lead to a INT. Yes other QBs do it...and they get called out for it all the same.
"I expect trey to throw a pick like that, not an 8 year vet."

As you said... "Yes other QBs do it". 8 year vets do it, all time greats do it. To sit and act like it's a rookie thing is just flat out wrong. Most interceptions are terrible throws. Jimmy's was terrible no doubt but to think it's just Jimmy and rookies making these throws is just straight ignorance.

Just like when Jimmy has a bad quarter and guys like you act like Jimmy is the only QB ever to not play lights out all 4 quarters. Every single QB in history has bad halves and quarters, actually it's very rare for a QB not to have a down quarter or half.

As I said some fans live in a bubble. A QB struggling for a quarter is extremely typical. Like extremely typical. A QB throwing a terrible pass, the same. 8 year vet or not. Common sense really.
"I expect trey to throw a pick like that, not an 8 year vet."

As you said... "Yes other QBs do it". 8 year vets do it, all time greats do it. To sit and act like it's a rookie thing is just flat out wrong. Most interceptions are terrible throws. Jimmy's was terrible no doubt but to think it's just Jimmy and rookies making these throws is just straight ignorance.

Just like when Jimmy has a bad quarter and guys like you act like Jimmy is the only QB ever to not play lights out all 4 quarters. Every single QB in history has bad halves and quarters, actually it's very rare for a QB not to have a down quarter or half.

As I said some fans live in a bubble. A QB struggling for a quarter is extremely typical. Like extremely typical. A QB throwing a terrible pass, the same. 8 year vet or not. Common sense really.

Who's saying it's only Jimmy or a rookie? I mean you brought up guys like Stafford and Brady who have thousands of more passing attempts compared to Jimmy. Absolutely you're gonna find some dumb throws in there...is what it is.

So don't criticize the QB even if they have a bad half, quarter, game? Is that what you're trying to say lol? You don't have to defend Jimmy over everything...fans are allowed to say it was a piss poor throw/read. Fans are allowed to say Jimmy played bad at some point. That also doesn't make them haters of him, it makes them fans and wanting a little more consistency out of their starter. You don't have to deflect the play and say well so and so does it too. Fans watch more than just the 49ers, no need to act like they don't.

I could say fans who are ultra defensive of Jimmy live in a bubble all the same...acting like his play is above criticism.
It's not he's amazing or he's sucks thing. It was a bad throw and you'd expect him to not make that throw...nothing more nothing less. He had some other good throws and has been playing fine overall.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
that's my quarterback 😭

I was very surprised how much pressure they got on our OL in PP given all their DL injuries.

Doesn't MINN lead the league in sacks?

True BUT they were down 4+ regular starters so I didn't expect as much pressure.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
If the lists were strictly based on how they played in 2020, there is no chance Jimmy would have been rated in the 20s like some of them say he is. You can look them up if you'd like. You are making an assumption that isn't accurate.

I'll ask you the same question: you can only choose between Garoppolo and Cousins to start the season as QB1 of the Niners - who would you choose?

If neither one of them were 49ers prior to right now, my answer would unquestionably be Cousins. But since that isn't the case, I'd pick Jimmy because he has been in the system for a few years and has chemistry with current players. But all circumstances being equal, I would pick the more talented QB...which is Cousins.

Garoppolo has a lot of football left in him - really good football. We'll see who the more talented QB turns out being. After 2019 it was Garoppolo as the better QB no question IMO...then he gets hurt the next season. Right now full health for both and it's definitely debatable - I'd take Garoppolo.

Gonna do the same exercise I did earlier, but this time googled 2019 QB rankings (omitted fantasy rankings again):

nfl.com: Cousins T-8th, Jimmy 15th
ibtimes: Cousins 5th, Jimmy 11th
SI: neither in top 10
usa today: Cousins 11th, Jimmy 15th
pff: both Cousins and Jimmy in tier 3
sporting news: Cousins 12th, Jimmy 14th
cbs: Cousins 15th, Jimmy 14th
nbc: Cousins 13th, Jimmy 20th
yahoo: Cousins 16th, Jimmy 20th

Do we really have to keep doing this? He said one thing is for sure that Jimmy was better and you said no question Jimmy was better. Well the football world disagrees with both of you. At least in the post 2019 rankings, I was able to find one ranking that had Jimmy higher, so at least you have that.

Why not consider how he folds in the spotlight?

This entire string of comments is absolutely embarrassing. Lol @steve trying to pin Jimmy as the 30th worst QB or not even ranked. The old flip flop. I almost started my account here just to counter but these dudes embarrassed themselves and didn't need me to.

Show me once where I have ever said I think Jimmy is the 30th ranked QB. I'll wait.

I'm still waiting on TheWooLick's made up quotes about Baker or Darnold being a better QB,...lol.

We'll probably be old and gray before any reputable responses come about.

Ypu are such a victim. Everyone misquoted you.

Sorry about the win, looks like ypubare taking this one as hard as the other recent wins.
Those first rounders used for Trey don't hurt as much when you get a 6th round gem like Mitchell. Jimmy ( think) is a very good QB, and the difference between Jimmy being a Very good QB and a potentially *great* QB that wears the yellow jacket is health. NY85 points out Jimmy's mechanics limiting him. I think he does get a bit lazy in his mechanics, but it's not a deal breaker and - again - keep in mind, as much as he's a 30 year old QB, he's effectively been playing only 2.5+ years because he's not been healthy. So I don't really look at him as a 30 year old vet, but more of a 25 year old in terms of experience. From a mental point of view, I can see him getting better, but from a physical talent point of view, his injuries really has robbed him of some of his prime physically productive years.

But I was told sitting and "developing" is the best thing for a QB? Jimmy has gotten to do that more than any QB, he should be mentally there more than ever....or does actually playing make a player better

when you have less than 250 throws in a small conference sitting is definitely better. If he had the reps like Mac and Fields did in a high level conference than playing is better

Who told you that?

Why do.ypu see it as an either or situation? Perhaps it varies by situation. Some players in some situations benefit more by sitting, while others in other situations benefit more by playing.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Nov 30, 2021 at 6:56 AM ]

True BUT they were down 4+ regular starters so I didn't expect as much pressure.

They blitz a s**t ton
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Who told you that?

Why do.ypu see it as an either or situation? Perhaps it varies by situation. Some players in some situations benefit more by sitting, while others in other situations benefit more by playing.

Who told me sitting and not playing was the way to develop? are you serious lol? You can only learn so much by not playing, not working with the 1st team, not running the teams plays, not playing in live game speed, not putting film up etc.

But hey Jimmy sat for years and now we have to wait for him to develop according to goatie
Originally posted by ritz126:
when you have less than 250 throws in a small conference sitting is definitely better. If he had the reps like Mac and Fields did in a high level conference than playing is better

love how people keep dropping his passing attempts...now it's 250 lol? 318 actually.

So let's complain about his passing attempts and wait for it....don't let him pass the ball for a year or let him play meaningful football for multiple years. You do realize when he's the starter next yr those passing attempt numbers are still the same? Thank god he will have all those "mental reps" and time playing scout QB this yr....we got people in here saying Jimmy is still developing after rocking the bench for multiple years

As far as Mac, so those 238 more passing attempts are what allowed him to get all the reps through TC/preseason and start W1? There wasn't a QB in college football last yr that had more guys wide open then Mac, so spare me the high level conference stuff. Bama was on another level compared to any team during a weird ass covid football season.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 30, 2021 at 7:22 AM ]
Gonna need bad Jimmy to stay at home for this one.

Best chance Seattle has is if we turn the ball over. Jimmy has to be on point like he was in the 2nd game of 2019. No Deebo sucks but I think our guys can step up. Kittle is due for a big game and Aiyuk and Jennings coming on lately will hopefully keep the offense going strong...which should still be heavily run game heavy despite Seattle being better at stopping the run.
Originally posted by genus49:
Gonna need bad Jimmy to stay at home for this one.

Best chance Seattle has is if we turn the ball over. Jimmy has to be on point like he was in the 2nd game of 2019. No Deebo sucks but I think our guys can step up. Kittle is due for a big game and Aiyuk and Jennings coming on lately will hopefully keep the offense going strong...which should still be heavily run game heavy despite Seattle being better at stopping the run.

I couldn't believe how awful Seattle looked last night...that offense is a mess. Hopefully it's a similar game plan as the MINN game.

Like you said no turnovers and just put points on the board...FGs TDs whatever don't give Wilson a bunch of 3 and outs because that ass hat can still throw a bomb to Lockett/DK at any point regardless of how bad they all look right now.
Share 49ersWebzone