There are 227 users in the forums

QB Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Catch is one of those guys that ignores 8 years of injury evidence and 13 years of Shanahan evidence and keeps repeating the same thing over and over.

But to your point, it is very odd how the HC, his DNA philosophy and his personnel choices that match it continue to be ignored in the overall equation of the QB. Did anyone watch Deebo trying to run a 9 route last week? Comical. We have zero deep threats or speed threats that have to be respected.

It's almost like fans want JG to just go rogue and try for explosive off schedule plays every third play. 5 different QB's here, same exact results. Maybe, just maybe, this is a Kyle-thing. LOL

Aiyuk is fine running deep.

True,...but if you tell yourself the same thing a hundred times you'll convince yourself you're right.

Deep outside passing's just not in our QBs game. Not now,...not when he's somewhere else.

Our offense accentuate his strengths.

Im guessing you missed it when Daryl Johnston confirmed what I've been saying for over a year in regards to throwing so much over the middle and less outside?

Johnston said, during the broadcast, "we asked Kyle about why they throw so much over the middle of the field and he said it's because that affects the run game the most, going after those linebackers. That throwing outside didn't affect the run game nearly as much".

I've been saying this for over a year. Kyle attacks LB's more than any other coach and that the way we've been running the ball and defenses we see, that throwing deep and outside wouldn't help our run game all that much. But, yeah, you're right, people tell themselves something enough, they believe it's true.

When it comes to playaction pass plays I buy it. It makes a ton of sense to suck those LBs up using playaction and to attack the middle area of the field.

But when it's '3rd and pass it', I don't see a reason to avoid the entire width of the field and to limit the passing targets to only throwing inside the numbers. Jimmy isn't a power thrower and I think that plays a role in his tendency to favor targets in the middle of the field, even on plays that aren't designed to attack that area of the field (playaction passes).

Just look @ the charts when the year started,...notice the incompletions out there around the hashes (mixed in with a few completions),...then look at the charts the last couple of games.

There clearly was an ATTEMPT to incorporate more of it this year starting off before seemingly scrapping it.

Kinda shocking that people really expect to hear Kyle come out and say "we keep everything condensed in a certain zone our QB is erratic at everything else".....?

Like....huh? What you expect our coach to say? He's going to tell us about the half of the glass that's half filled,...which is all true. He's not going to get into the half-empty part.

No matter time this has been pointed out with no legit retort (someone link me if there every was one,...certain posters seem to want to continually fall back on coach quotes like they pretty much wrap up an issue of contention on here,...lol.
[ Edited by random49er on Nov 27, 2021 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by JMC52:
I'm just thrilled he will have some trade value this off-season

Alot can change with 7 games,...including injuries. Keep your fingers crossed.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
That is all fine and dandy but what is Kyle's excuse on obvious passing downs? Making the defense defend the entire field is an advantage for an offense, no matter what offense it is.

TThere's no excuse dropping timing out from the Playbook. They're one of the highest percentage throws you can draw up and practically Unstoppable if the coverage is not designed to shut down the route. Jimmy is perfectly capable of throwing a timing pattern. its scary how little we try to open up the field with those type of Concepts. Other teams have caught on and simply clog the middle it's a miracle Jimmy makes half those throws. there's two safeties and two linebackers usually right on the hashes. No bueno for us.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Nov 27, 2021 at 4:25 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
That is all fine and dandy but what is Kyle's excuse on obvious passing downs? Making the defense defend the entire field is an advantage for an offense, no matter what offense it is.

Other teams have caught on and simply clog the middle it's a miracle Jimmy makes half those throws. there's two safeties and two linebackers usually right on the hashes. No bueno for us.
Clog the middle and Jimmy can make them pay.
[ Edited by TreyDeyEeyDey on Nov 27, 2021 at 4:44 PM ]
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:

Other teams have caught on and simply clog the middle it's a miracle Jimmy makes half those throws. there's two safeties and two linebackers usually right on the hashes. No bueno for us.

within 10 yards at least
Catch is one of those guys that ignores 8 years of injury evidence and 13 years of Shanahan evidence and keeps repeating the same thing over and over.

But to your point, it is very odd how the HC, his DNA philosophy and his personnel choices that match it continue to be ignored in the overall equation of the QB. Did anyone watch Deebo trying to run a 9 route last week? Comical. We have zero deep threats or speed threats that have to be respected.

It's almost like fans want JG to just go rogue and try for explosive off schedule plays every third play. 5 different QB's here, same exact results. Maybe, just maybe, this is a Kyle-thing. LOL

True,...but if you tell yourself the same thing a hundred times you'll convince yourself you're right.

Deep outside passing's just not in our QBs game. Not now,...not when he's somewhere else.

Im guessing you missed it when Daryl Johnston confirmed what I've been saying for over a year in regards to throwing so much over the middle and less outside?

Johnston said, during the broadcast, "we asked Kyle about why they throw so much over the middle of the field and he said it's because that affects the run game the most, going after those linebackers. That throwing outside didn't affect the run game nearly as much".

I've been saying this for over a year. Kyle attacks LB's more than any other coach and that the way we've been running the ball and defenses we see, that throwing deep and outside wouldn't help our run game all that much. But, yeah, you're right, people tell themselves something enough, they believe it's true.

When it comes to playaction pass plays I buy it. It makes a ton of sense to suck those LBs up using playaction and to attack the middle area of the field.

But when it's '3rd and pass it', I don't see a reason to avoid the entire width of the field and to limit the passing targets to only throwing inside the numbers. Jimmy isn't a power thrower and I think that plays a role in his tendency to favor targets in the middle of the field, even on plays that aren't designed to attack that area of the field (playaction passes).

Just look @ the charts when the year started,...notice the incompletions out there around the hashes (mixed in with a few completions),...then look at the charts the last couple of games.

There clearly was an ATTEMPT to incorporate more of it this year starting off before seemingly scrapping it.

Kinda shocking that people really expect to hear Kyle come out and say "we keep everything condensed in a certain zone our QB is erratic at everything else".....?

Like....huh? What you expect our coach to say? He's going to tell us about the half of the glass that's half filled,...which is all true. He's not going to get into the half-empty part.

No matter time this has been pointed out with no legit retort (someone link me if there every was one,...certain posters seem to want to continually fall back on coach quotes like they pretty much wrap up an issue of contention on here,...lol.

I would give credence to your argument if what Kyle said wasn't exactly what I said in 2020. Not convincing me of anything to say, "he really didn't mean what he said" when I said exact what he did over a year ago.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JMC52:
I'm just thrilled he will have some trade value this off-season

Alot can change with 7 games,...including injuries. Keep your fingers crossed.

We should get a good return - just hope he stays healthy, or we're getting poop.
  • All22
  • Veteran

Minnesota has always played us aggressively. In the playoff game they decided not to honor playaction and to clog the middle of the field with their linebackers and safeties. Kyle adjusted and just ran the ball down their throats with Coleman.

The game before that was the one where Goodwin got hurt on the first play. Their safeties sat flat footed in a cover 2 and dared us to throw deep.

I hope The Viking offense lays an egg and they turn the ball over a million times because Zimmer is the type of coach to put on film a strategy to beat us. At least if we blow them out then teams may just skip that film.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:

Minnesota has always played us aggressively. In the playoff game they decided not to honor playaction and to clog the middle of the field with their linebackers and safeties. Kyle adjusted and just ran the ball down their throats with Coleman.

The game before that was the one where Goodwin got hurt on the first play. Their safeties sat flat footed in a cover 2 and dared us to throw deep.

I hope The Viking offense lays an egg and they turn the ball over a million times because Zimmer is the type of coach to put on film a strategy to beat us. At least if we blow them out then teams may just skip that film.

We should be fine - Minnesota's offense doesn't scare me.

Huh. That's an outlier. We don't have too many games like that. Mostly all the green dots are closer to the hash. Shouldn't we have games where jimmy distributes evenly.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Sure, on 3rd and pass it. But, how often are we in 3rd and long and the OL holds up long enough for it? I remember at least 3 times we tried to attack deep outside vs GB, a game where our run game was non-existent, and the OL gave up pressure before the play could even develop.

3rd and short/medium, we tend to go quick hitters. The JAX game is a prime example, I think over 65% of our passes between the 20's were play action. We had what, 6 passes inside the 10? That leaves 8 of 13 were PA between the 20's. We also run a lot of passes vs zone over the middle so that LB's have to respect lateral movement in the pass game. If they take that read step and hold too long, we'll hit a slant or hitch in their area. So, it makes LB's hesitant in every way.

I think back to the Carolina game in 2019. I did a video on it, how all our screen passes and misdirection runs to targeted at Luke Keuchly. We'd get him to take one wrong step and we'd hit a 30 yarder in either run or screen game.

Even in non-play-action, if you keep hitting those underneath voids against C3 you're going to force 2 high, which favors your run game.

We don't see a lot of man-cov unless our run game isn't working. So, we see lots of C3 with cushion, so that doesn't lend itself to deep outside shots a lot unless they're schemed up, which is how we do it.

Throwing the fade or deep comeback vs the C3 doesn't help you a ton, IMO if your aim is to bust them out of C3 to run the ball.

IMO, Kyle wants to force the opponent to go C2 or man and then get explosives in the run game off those looks.

There's a lot of critiquing of Jimmy's game so I can see how my critique gets mixed with others. I'm not the guy complaining about how Jimmy doesn't throw deep enough - I'm the guy complaining about not attacking outside the numbers. For example, a 12 yard out/comeback route and how this SF offense doesn't do it. That's a route that does attack the leverage of the sideline 1/3 defender in a Cover3, and I would not consider that a deep route. As of right now, if I'm a defender lined up across from Aiyuk out wide, I can rule out any threat of a stop9/comeback/deep curl (deep curl is 12-15 yards; not considered deep in terms of going downfield).

Oh I know. But we do run those stop routes, but against man-cov. We saw a bunch vs ARI. But those are dictated by man-coversge in our offense more.

If thl wants to exploit the width of the field, Kyle's going to need to replace Marquise Goodwin because that's where Garoppolo used to live when he first arrived. But Kyle went away from that personnel and has since drafted RB/WR hybrids, Hurd, Jennings, quick-twitch receivers like Pettis and Aiyuk and has tried to go after another top TE to exploit even more LB's. Did anybody see Deebo last game try to run a 9? It wasn't pretty.

Maybe he's seen the CB's in our division and figures he'll attack laterally with OZ and then exploit the middle of the field in the passing game where most teams don't have quality coverage LB's?

When the run game is going strong, typically the LB's and the DB's are playing zone, to try to keep their eyes in the backfield so that they can run to the ball carrier and not be locked in on their man coverage assignments. I think when the LB's are in zone, that's when Kyle calls those middle passes in between the zones of the defense. Again, as long as the run game is gashing the defense, these middle plays will be generally open.

I think Minnesota knows they are outmanned from a talent perspective. They are (I think) missing their entire starting defensive line. So if I'm the DC, I know I'm screwed if I play straight base defense so I'm going to go exotic, see if I can derail the 49er offense with all sorts of run blitzes and force the 49ers to pass. However, again, if they run blitz, there's going to be voids in the defense that the 49ers can exploit - if they can anticipate those blitz calls.
Go Jimmy G!
Jimmy is our paper cuts serial killer
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Come on, Jimmy have a day - just no more wounded ducks.
Here is Jimmy's pass distribution chart this week:

|__O__O__O__O__=___O__=__O__O__O__O__|

JIMMY 🏉

Still would be critiqued since they weren't all spirals 😂
Share 49ersWebzone