Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Originally posted by boast:
Does Jimmy even want to be here?

yeah. this team gives Jimmy the best chance to win a Super Bowl and prove to everyone he's deserves to be the starting QB. you seem to think he's gonna go pout in the corner or something.

So why is there reports that he's not happy and is "going through the motions" during team zoom calls?

link?

Dude trust me... lol. Heard Middlekauff or some other reporter mention it during the week when discussing the possibility of him being traded

You missed the joke.

actually i didn't.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I predict he's the week 1 starter with Lance/fields behind him. He plays well and we move him for a 2022/2023 2nd. All while out your elite prospect getting mentally prepared and confident to run this offense.
i think and really hope this is what happens.. and if jimmy plays well... could be a difference between a 4th and 2nd round pick we could get for him next year

+2.
I agree with Max Kellerman this morning. We don't get close to a SB if we trade JG before the season starts and run one of the rookies.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Id rather start Jimmy than any of these picks. they would be stupid to trade him. he has incentive to play for a new contract and prove he can be a winner again and if he looks shaky we have a young gun to replace him with. the niners have a no lose situation with what we are about to do. keep him, winning a superbowl is worth a hell of a lot more than a couple mid round draft picks. When healthy, Jimmy gets it done. and him showing out this year makes his trade value go up. no brainer

I would like to see them start the season with Jimmy but it isn't a no lose situation.

The 500 lb gorilla is his health. If he plays well his value would likely go up. But if he get shurt again (the odds say that's probable) his value is gone. No team would trade for him after another injury. The bottom line is they're taking a risk either way. If he plays well they might get a better draft pick for him in a trade. If they trade him now for a 2nd rounder, they are putting a lot on a rookies shoulders. Either way there's some risk. With a good team around him, the rookie's chances of succeeding are better than they are for the typical first round draft pick. Tough choices.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Does Jimmy even want to be here?

yeah. this team gives Jimmy the best chance to win a Super Bowl and prove to everyone he's deserves to be the starting QB. you seem to think he's gonna go pout in the corner or something.

So why is there reports that he's not happy and is "going through the motions" during team zoom calls?

link?

Dude trust me... lol. Heard Middlekauff or some other reporter mention it during the week when discussing the possibility of him being traded

Lol
That Rodgers rumor is BS
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Id rather start Jimmy than any of these picks. they would be stupid to trade him. he has incentive to play for a new contract and prove he can be a winner again and if he looks shaky we have a young gun to replace him with. the niners have a no lose situation with what we are about to do. keep him, winning a superbowl is worth a hell of a lot more than a couple mid round draft picks. When healthy, Jimmy gets it done. and him showing out this year makes his trade value go up. no brainer

I would like to see them start the season with Jimmy but it isn't a no lose situation.

The 500 lb gorilla is his health. If he plays well his value would likely go up. But if he get shurt again (the odds say that's probable) his value is gone. No team would trade for him after another injury. The bottom line is they're taking a risk either way. If he plays well they might get a better draft pick for him in a trade. If they trade him now for a 2nd rounder, they are putting a lot on a rookies shoulders. Either way there's some risk. With a good team around him, the rookie's chances of succeeding are better than they are for the typical first round draft pick. Tough choices.

You're right - either way there is some risk. They trade Garoppolo and roll with the rookie...what if the rookie gets hurt? As we've seen time and time again (not just w/ Garoppolo), NFL QBs can and do get hurt with the punishment they take. The rookie gets hurt and you've got Rosen or Sudfeld stepping in. No thanks. Unless they go get a vet QB like Minshew to help w/ the QB room before the season, which would cost more draft capital. And, who's to say Minshew would step right in and run this offense very well? Another gamble there. He wouldn't run it as well as a healthy Garoppolo, that I'm definitely confident and especially with Garoppolo's time in this system.

No thanks to the above. Really hoping Garoppolo remains on the team this season as QB1 while the rookie learns this system, learns the NFL ropes & develops to where he's ready when his time comes. Garoppolo has started 19 straight games in a season without coming out of a single game due to injury - I definitely believe he can do that again, especially with an improved OL where you have a quality vet C like Mack calling things, syncing things up front, and actually showing some talent at C (where this team has lacked some w/ guys like Garland & Grasu).

Give me a QB room this season of Garoppolo, Fields/Lance, & Rosen or Sudfeld along with the talent this team currently has and will add, and I'll like this team's chances going into any game vs. any team this season.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Apr 29, 2021 at 9:11 AM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
That Rodgers rumor is BS

Totally - that was some Madden level juvenile stuff.
Originally posted by Crown:
That Rodgers rumor is BS

I posted this in another thread...can you imagine, the Niners in essence would be trading away this year's #3, other picks, a "number of players" from their current roster including Garoppolo, PLUS you have to count all the draft capital that it took the Niners to get to #3 in the first place. All for Aaron Rodgers, who's going to be 38 this December.

This plan is so reasonable and smart but it seems like everyone in the media thinks they need to do all these different moves.

As you said, if Jimmy is here he is better today than all of them and the Niners are very good Super Bowl contenders. Maybe better than 2019 with Deebo & Aiyuk having experience, hopefully better OL and whatever else is still added.

Then the rookie gets experience and in 2022 they either have a SB winning Jimmy G and a good rookie on the cheap, or they can trade Jimmy at his most valuable.

The only negative is Jimmy gets hurt and they lose all trade value, but you gotta roll the dice on that one.

I just hope they stick to what we all thought the orginal plan was. Jimmy plays in 2021 with Fields/Lance/Wilson learning. And Mac Jones proving to suck while playing for the Patriots or Steelers or whoever else.
That Rodgers rumor is BS

But reporters never just throw rumors out there just ask the webzone! It is all gospel because it is on twitter!

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
That Rodgers rumor is BS

I posted this in another thread...can you imagine, the Niners in essence would be trading away this year's #3, other picks, a "number of players" from their current roster including Garoppolo, PLUS you have to count all the draft capital that it took the Niners to get to #3 in the first place. All for Aaron Rodgers, who's going to be 38 this December.

amen.

although....would it be worth it if Rodgers won the superbowl with this niners this year?
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
But reporters never just throw rumors out there just ask the webzone! It is all gospel because it is on twitter!

Never.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmur49:

This plan is so reasonable and smart but it seems like everyone in the media thinks they need to do all these different moves.

As you said, if Jimmy is here he is better today than all of them and the Niners are very good Super Bowl contenders. Maybe better than 2019 with Deebo & Aiyuk having experience, hopefully better OL and whatever else is still added.

Then the rookie gets experience and in 2022 they either have a SB winning Jimmy G and a good rookie on the cheap, or they can trade Jimmy at his most valuable.

The only negative is Jimmy gets hurt and they lose all trade value, but you gotta roll the dice on that one.

I just hope they stick to what we all thought the orginal plan was. Jimmy plays in 2021 with Fields/Lance/Wilson learning. And Mac Jones proving to suck while playing for the Patriots or Steelers or whoever else.

I think that's Plan A. What you have to think about is if the offer for Jimmy is something that can't be rejected out of hand. Two items the 49ers need to account in the immediate future: 2022 and 2023 draft, and Fred's contract. If a team offers a second or possible a package including a second... that gives the 49ers another early round pick, and space to get their staring MLB signed for a couple more years. That's nothing to sneeze at.

When you add the fact JG would be the best QB on the roster now.... as long he's able to play.... you may have to make an educated guess that the probability he's healthy past November may not be as high as needed to plan around.... 49ers are win now, as long as JG can stay healthy... and that, that is a gamble similar to taking QB in the first.
Share 49ersWebzone