LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
other teams have worse WRs and still get the ball thrown deep

Throwing deep because you have to is different than throwing deep because you want to.
lol what..?

you think every deep ball is a "Have to"
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
You hate *average* QBs my man. In your eyes Jimmy is average. Hence you hate Jimmy. Its all good. We're all 49er fans and you have made some great draft scouting calls all these years. I just calls it as I see it.

The Buckner point is irrelevant because all you are doing is *guessing* like the rest of us what ShanaLynch is going to do. Right now Jimmy is the starting QB and until he's traded (and unlike Buckner who they could not afford) they can afford Jimmy. They said so, whereas everybody knew Buckners cap hit was going to be painful before he was traded, that why the Arik signing was such a big surprise, because it was Arik that was supposed to be traded not Buckner. There is no similar situation at the QB position right now.

why are you putting words into my mouth? Please find where I said I hate Jimmy? post it.. or stop making stuff up because you want to defend someone some much. I neve said such a thing. So stop the BS. Literally you're saying I'm "guessing" YET you're the one assuming with this. cut it out.

The Bucker point is an example of saying what you need to say UNTIL something happens. There is NO reason for Kyle an Co. to saying anything else, tell me what's gain from that? I'm not saying Jimmy is gone in 2021...I'm saying you bet your ass they're looking at other QBs. IF a opportunity presents they will make a move. Saying anything doesn't help anyone.

AA was a FA they couldn't trade him.

It's funny I always ask what's the likelihood Jimmy get's an extension and all the Jimmy truthers aren't willing to give him MORE money lol. You can't love him that much if you won't commit to him.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a reasonable inference to make that it is a duck
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
For 2019 season:

Not sure how many times we gotta go through this meaningless stat in here....

Jimmy Garoppolo, San Francisco 49ers 61.3% completion percentage, 21.0 yards per attempt, 105.2 Passer Rating Jimmy Garoppolo has an excellent grade on these plays, but he attempted just 31 deep shots all season — the fewest among full-time starting quarterbacks. Even Mason Rudolph, who only started eight games, had six more deep shots than Garoppolo did all year. The San Francisco quarterback also benefitted from Kyle Shanahan's scheme regularly presenting him with wide-open targets downfield.

If I attempt 4 three pointers all year and compete 3 of them, I'm completing 75% of my threes...that does NOT make me a good three point shooter. We watch the games.

That's on Kyle.
31 > 3

Agree with Woo. Niners started 2019 10-0, their running game clicked and chewed time, so Shanahan didn't call as many long passes. They weren't needed. 31 passes is a significant stat, not meaningless.

Besides, Garoppolo has proven he can be the quarterback for the Niners in a Super Bowl. Not mentioned much is that JG threw just 28 (just 8 in the title game) passes in the month before the Super Bowl. That's also on Kyle.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
For 2019 season:

Not sure how many times we gotta go through this meaningless stat in here....

Jimmy Garoppolo, San Francisco 49ers 61.3% completion percentage, 21.0 yards per attempt, 105.2 Passer Rating Jimmy Garoppolo has an excellent grade on these plays, but he attempted just 31 deep shots all season — the fewest among full-time starting quarterbacks. Even Mason Rudolph, who only started eight games, had six more deep shots than Garoppolo did all year. The San Francisco quarterback also benefitted from Kyle Shanahan's scheme regularly presenting him with wide-open targets downfield.

If I attempt 4 three pointers all year and compete 3 of them, I'm completing 75% of my threes...that does NOT make me a good three point shooter. We watch the games.

That's on Kyle.
31 > 3

Agree with Woo. Niners started 2019 10-0, their running game clicked and chewed time, so Shanahan didn't call as many long passes. They weren't needed. 31 passes is a significant stat, not meaningless.

Besides, Garoppolo has proven he can be the quarterback for the Niners in a Super Bowl. Not mentioned much is that JG threw just 28 (just 8 in the title game) passes in the month before the Super Bowl. That's also on Kyle.
Actually the Offense wanted to keep running the ball so i don't knock anyone that year

But this isn't 2019 anymore. The short passes are not going to work like they did. Defenses know it and it lead to a rough start on the 2020 season.
Originally posted by Goatie:
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a reasonable inference to make that it is a duck

So you're a liar too...good to know I can give your nonsense a block.
Actually the Offense wanted to keep running the ball so i don't knock anyone that year

But this isn't 2019 anymore. The short passes are not going to work like they did. Defenses know it and it lead to a rough start on the 2020 season.

agreed
Have the same 10 people in here really been blaming Kyle for Jimmy's shortcomings or is this a new excuse?

f**k this s**t thread

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 3, 2021 at 1:33 PM ]
If your game is the short passing game and you win 13 games in an NFL season why throw long? If you are road grading teams on the ground, why bother throwing?

The comeback is of course *Mahomes* and Jimmy overthrowing Sanders. Keep in mind he threw a slant that was knocked down because the OLineman let penetration in. Yeah the supporters of Jimmy watch the game too.

The best player on the team and by far the best receiver on the team is the GOAT TE.
And some wonder why they don't throw many deep passes down the sideline?

How many of them have a TE as good as Kittle.

So much hate for Kyle's system.
Have the same 10 people in here really been blaming Kyle for Jimmy's shortcomings or is this a new excuse?

f**k this s**t thread

Blaming?
Jimmy and Kyle ran a great offense in 2019. You are complaining about their performance.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Mar 3, 2021 at 1:53 PM ]
If your game is the short passing game and you win 13 games in an NFL season why throw long? If you are road grading teams on the ground, why bother throwing?

The comeback is of course *Mahomes* and Jimmy overthrowing Sanders. Keep in mind he threw a slant that was knocked down because the OLineman let penetration in. Yeah the supporters of Jimmy watch the game too.

The best player on the team and by far the best receiver on the team is the GOAT TE.

thats your rebutal ?

do you not know what other TEs are out there.. even if the TEs are great or not. Teams still throw to inferrior WRs than what we have

thats your rebutal ?

do you not know what other TEs are out there.. even if the TEs are great or not. Teams still throw to inferrior WRs than what we have

You are criticizing Kyle for his playcalling, specifically for not taking away Kittle touches in favor of touches for Pettis and Co.
Originally posted by CharlieBarrett:
Should the 49ers move on from Jimmy Garoppolo?

The San Francisco 49ers have had their name attached to many high profile quarterbacks this offseason. It seems to be all that the local members of the media want to discuss. It's not hard to see why, headlines with quarterback names get clicks. In order to address whether or not the 49ers should move on, two questions must be answered. First question : can the 49ers upgrade the quarterback position while keeping the rest of their team intact? The second question is: how good is Jimmy Garoppolo?

Let's address the first question. Can the 49ers maintain a championship roster if they upgrade the quarterback position? The cost for obtaining the two biggest names on the trade block would be unprecedented. If teams are able to pry Deshaun Watson or Russel Wilson, it wouldn't be without a hefty cost. The minimum asking price is likely to be at least three 1st round picks and a franchise player. Players like Fred Warner, George Kittle or Nick Bosa could be involved in the trade if the 49ers choose to go this route.

Would it be worth the cost for either one of these players? Would either be enough to supplement the deficiencies on the roster that would be created from a huge trade. Take a look at their current situations and you will have your answer. Wilson consistently has his team in the playoffs, but they have not been in a conference title game since 2014. ,when Wilson was still playing on his rookie deal. As for Watson, he went 4-12 in 2020 with a bad roster. The Houston Texans made playoff appearances in 2018 and 2019 with better rosters ,when Watson was still on his rookie deal.

Can the 49ers remain in Super Bowl contention if they make the move for either one of these superstar quarterbacks? History indicates that it would be an uphill battle. An expensive and great quarterback can get a team to the playoffs, but teams with more well rounded rosters usually have the upperhand. If regular season success and a playoff appearance is the 49ers goal, they should pursue Watson or Wilson. If they want to win a Super Bowl, they should pass.

Now that the first question has been addressed, let's address the second question: how good is Jimmy Garoppolo? Can the 49ers do better without breaking their backs? If the answer were yes, they would have done it already. A healthy Garoppolo has an impressive resume. The problem is Garoppolo has only been available about half the time since taking over as the starting quarterback for the 49ers. He has been available in 25 out of the past 48 regular season games. Let's take a look at what a healthy Garoppolo has been able to accomplish since taking over as the 49ers quarterback.

The first thing that most 49ers fans will tell you about Garoppolo is that he is a winner. The 49ers win-loss record with Garoppolo and the win-loss record without Garoppolo certainly supports that. The 49ers are 24-9 with Garoppolo and 7-27 without him. Many will say that the quarterback wins are not a stat, but the evidence is overwhelming in this case. The 49ers have a much better chance to win when Garoppolo starts than when he doesn't.

Next, let's take a look at what Garoppolo accomplished in 2019 when he started all 16 regular season games. The 49ers had a win-loss record of 13-3, Garoppolo had 3,978 passing yards, 27 touchdown passes, had a passer rating of 102.0 and led the 49ers to a Super Bowl appearance . The only other 49ers quarterback to accomplish all of those things in a single season was Steve Young in 1994.

Finally, let's take a look at the health issue. Garoppolo tore an acl in week three of 2018 and sustained a high ankle sprain 2020. The ACL ended his season immediately. He played four games after the high ankle sprain, but it was clear he was not completely healthy when on the field. Garoppolo didn't suit up after week 8 of the 2020 season. The lack of availability has certainly been an issue.

What would be the wisest course of action for the 49ers to take at the quarterback position in 2021? They should stick with Garoppolo. The upside speaks for itself. The organization needs to give it one more shot. If the health issue comes up again, then it is time to move on in 2022. The 49ers should invest in quality back-up as an insurance plan, but need to give Garoppolo one more chance to prove he can stay healthy. Sticking with him will allow them to use their resources to improve the roster in other areas.

P.S. I omitted potential draft picks since the 49ers don't have a top 10 pick

The bold - hoping it plays out this way.
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't know, I think we saw a weakness in Mahomes' game and that is the inability to run the offense on time on a consistent basis. He turned into an ad-lib player who has the best outlet player (Kelce) and another great player in Hill to bail him out. Mahomes wasn't looking all that great against us in the SB. If that big blown coverage on the 3rd down play doesn't happen, Mahomes wasn't playing all that well whereas Jimmy was at that point.

It's easy to say player 1 is better than player 2 if player 1's team is the winning team. To me, Jimmy has elite throwing ability but in a different way. He just doesn't have that over the top strong arm that throws 35 yard lasers with ease. However, he has a throwing ability that Mahomes and other QBs don't have and that's the ability to make a throw in an instant with only an inch of space to throw. I think Aaron Rodgers is the only player that can throw like JG and like Mahomes.

Now, JG's only problem has been staying healthy for long enough to master his system. With his throwing ability, just wait until he gets to a point where he can adjust the primary receiver in the offense because he has mastered being able to read what the defense is showing him. IF JG can get to this level, with his throwing ability, it will be like playing catch. And there are not many defensive players that are able to jump on his ball quick enough because his release is so quick.
Really? I thought Jimmy was supposed to have mastered the offense in 2019. Did he forget it in 2020? If he doesn't know the offense after all the time he's spent with Kyle then he never will.

Don't want to reply for some one else, particularly on the internet where typos and auto corrects always happen.

But you guys could be misreading what he said even in highlighting it.

I didn't see where he said a thing about Kyle's offensive system. I read it as Jimmy mastering his system. In other words, for him to grow into whatever he individually would be as a quarterback with his mechanics, throwing style, tendencies, etc.

Now who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I just didn't see or read into any "his" other than Jimmy himself.

Something like that. Mastering an offense isn't about memorizing the playbook and robotically executing it. It is about mastering how your strengths work in that offense along with polishing your weaknesses that stalls the offense.

BUT, the biggest thing of all that takes time is mastering the Defenses so that you can execute any play at any time by simply playing catch with the correct target.

In overall years, JG has had the time to memorize the offense. But game reps, he has not had the time to master the system.
[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 3, 2021 at 2:18 PM ]
Blaming?
Jimmy and Kyle ran a great offense in 2019. You are complaining about their performance.

Jimmy never ran the offense, just so you know. The superb run game was on point and the 1 to 15 yard passing game was complimentary.

Nothing great about it from a passing perspective.
Originally posted by random49er:
Blaming?

Jimmy never ran the offense, just so you know. The superb run game was on point and the 1 to 15 yard passing game was complimentary.

Nothing great about it from a passing perspective.

How about from an effective perspective?

I am trying to understand the criticisms of Kyle for using an effective run game and feeding the GOAT TE. The offense ranked 2nd in pts and 4th in yards in 2019.
Share 49ersWebzone