There are 109 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Like I said, the draft picks are gold to them because they are and will be up against the cap which is where playoff teams with deep playoff rosters and talent live. So trading up is giving those away.

I'd personally be fine with it but I just don't see this regime doing that given the competition there's going to be for 4-5 QB's within the first 8 picks. They will have to outbid.

How many of these golden draft picks have they traded away for rentals? They traded up for a WR a (bunch of times).

If they want one of the dudes they can make it happen without question.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
If we are keeping Jimmy, we should consider trading back if the opportunity presents itself, and going IOL or CB.

And edge. But if lance is there at 12, teams would be anxious to move up. The niners can get a mini ransom if they move back.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
https://fullpresscoverage.com/2021/02/24/49ers-gm-john-lynch-no-doubt-garoppolo-will-be-49ers-quarterback-for-2021/

The part of this link that pisses me off is this:

"Being available is a big part of this thing," Lynch acknowledged of Garoppolo. "So we … probably as a stated goal … we have to insulate ourselves better. We got to have better options if he's not there."

I just dont understand this logic. We are going to be strapped for cash this offseason. And because our QB1 cant stay healthy, we are going to invest a good amount of money in our QB2? This is NOT a good way to build your team. I dont want to allocate $35M-ish into our QB situation, and not have a top tier QB on the roster.

If you are so concerned with who will come in when your starter inevitably gets injured, the problem is the starter, not the backups.

Still and all, I read Lynch's comments as it's not that they need to improve upon Jimmy, they need to not go into the next season with Mullins and Beathard.
Looks like they'll do everything they can to have a legit NFL quality QB to back up and be ready to play a big chunk of the season if needed.
So it continues....
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Restructure Jimmy's deal...see if he will take a reduced salary in 2021 but make it FGTD, in turn tell him we will remove his remanding yrs and he can be a FA in 2022. No tag either.

He get's to hit FA in 2022 and get an extension with real GTD cash...he can either resign in SF or test the waters (which is what every player wants) Resign guys and even get a couple upgrades after you move some other pieces around with the cap.

Go move up for a rookie, use a 2022 1st or whatever to get a guy. I'd toss a 2021 1st/3rd and a 1st/3rd in 2022 to move up to say 6th with the Eagles. You then have your high end 2nd, which you can trade down with as many times as you can/want. This draft is loaded with depth.

Where's Jimmy's motivation for it? If Jimmy outperforms his contract in 2021, he can hold out for a new deal. If he bombs, he'll likely get cut anyway.

We shouldn't restructure his contract. We should focus our efforts to find ways to restructure Dee Ford and Richburgs contract to mitigate 2021 and 2022 dead money. Those are the bigger bottlenecks than Jimmy G's contract.
restructuring Ford and Rich is just passing the buck. how long do we want to be stuck paying them each year

McKinnon style restructure - pay cut.
Pretty much.

Where's Jimmy's motivation for it? If Jimmy outperforms his contract in 2021, he can hold out for a new deal. If he bombs, he'll likely get cut anyway.

We shouldn't restructure his contract. We should focus our efforts to find ways to restructure Dee Ford and Richburgs contract to mitigate 2021 and 2022 dead money. Those are the bigger bottlenecks than Jimmy G's contract.

I don't follow? His motivation is he get's fully guaranteed cash for 2021...even if he doesn't play. Just because he has a cap hit of $27M doesn't mean that's what he's actually getting put into his bank account all said and done. He's got roster game checks of $800K.

Dude hasn't been healthy this just makes sure he get's paid either way....if he out performs his deal then he's a FA in 2021 and gonna make bank. LOL Jimmy has no position to be "holding out" dude hasn't played well enough long enough to hold those cards.

It's also NOT a restructure, it's a pay cut that works for both sides.

Jimmy's contract is the most moveable contract in football. Without question that's the one they should be focusing on. If Ford doesn't pass a physical on 4/1 he's collecting $11M regardless. I'd ask Weston to take the vet min and if not see ya.
Pretty much.

Yes and that backup might come in the form of a top end rookie....they've got to pay for legit starters before forking over cash for a legit backup QB.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Restructure Jimmy's deal...see if he will take a reduced salary in 2021 but make it FGTD, in turn tell him we will remove his remanding yrs and he can be a FA in 2022. No tag either.

He get's to hit FA in 2022 and get an extension with real GTD cash...he can either resign in SF or test the waters (which is what every player wants) Resign guys and even get a couple upgrades after you move some other pieces around with the cap.

Go move up for a rookie, use a 2022 1st or whatever to get a guy. I'd toss a 2021 1st/3rd and a 1st/3rd in 2022 to move up to say 6th with the Eagles. You then have your high end 2nd, which you can trade down with as many times as you can/want. This draft is loaded with depth.

restructuring Ford and Rich is just passing the buck. how long do we want to be stuck paying them each year

McKinnon style restructure - pay cut.

Same with Jimmy. Give him say his game game day checks at the beginning of the yr ($13M) say you're gonna get that no matter if you play or not. Toss in some stupid incentives and knock off the last yr of his deal.

SF saves like $14M this yr , he get's actual cash in his pocket, and he gets to be a FA next yr...all while being the starter for a team with SB goals. I mean he should be thinking about his next extension and I don't think there's a place he's best suited to put up #s and wins to help with that new deal other than here.
Pretty much.

Yes and that backup might come in the form of a top end rookie....they've got to pay for legit starters before forking over cash for a legit backup QB.

100%. I just highly doubt it's trading up for 1 if the 4-5. Maybe 2nd round.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Here for the (highly predictable) tears.

Like I said, the draft picks are gold to them because they are and will be up against the cap which is where playoff teams with deep playoff rosters and talent live. So trading up is giving those away.

I'd personally be fine with it but I just don't see this regime doing that given the competition there's going to be for 4-5 QB's within the first 8 picks. They will have to outbid.

How many of these golden draft picks have they traded away for rentals? They traded up for a WR a (bunch of times).

None on first rounders. Just the opposite.

But I certainly know they CAN. I just doubt they WILL.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Take Mac Jones if he is there when we pick. That should be a good backup and eventual starter.
  • All22
  • Veteran

None on first rounders. Just the opposite.

But I certainly know they CAN. I just doubt they WILL.

The Rams and Seahawks are betting that first round picks are overrated by the rest of the league right now.
Pretty much.

This has been my main point about bringing in a backup. If Jimmy is our guy, we need to be all in on him. If he gets hurt again, then thats another season wasted. But to allocate the same amount of money for Jimmy + a good backup as it would cost for an elite QB is not something I can get behind.
Pretty much.

100%. I just highly doubt it's trading up for 1 if the 4-5. Maybe 2nd round.

Well if its round 2, it wouldnt be a top end rookie right?
Share 49ersWebzone