LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Did mahomes beat Tom with crap Tackles? I'll take Kyles point of view over yours regarding Jimmy. Kyle thinks Jimmy can get better. I think so too.

Again its a team game, if Foels, brad Johnson, and Trent dilfer can win super bowls, then *average* Jimmy can too. It's going to be Kyles genius as to how to put a team together to get to that Lombardi game. Hes done it twice, basically. Once just on the offensive side, and the 2nd time he put a complete team together in three years from zero.

I don't see ShanaLynch trading or demoting Jimmy at this point. I get the feeling they have confidence in him to start. Its really the Backup QBs they are much more concerned about.

Three backup lineman heading into the Super bowl...AND even then Hill/Kelce and his other WRs dropped like 3 TDs and multiple 1st down conversions.

Why in the world would Kyle say anything other than that (regarding Jimmy)? There is NOT ONE single reason for him to say anything else...zero benefit.

Who gives a crap about Foles/Johnson/Dilfer lucking into winning one Super Bowl? I don't care about being lucky enough to win ONE. Go look around the teams that are constantly competing for a Super Bowl yr after yr...they have a top end QB....Winning Super bowls (plural) with an avg QB is NOT realistic . Jimmy had his shot in 2019 and f**king blew.

You can't keep together elite defenses (which was the main reason for that 2019 success), that takes a collection of players WHO will want to get paid. s**t SF only got one yr of that elite defense before having to move Buck. Now we have to figure out CB and DL.

It's not about demoting Jimmy, it's about finding someone BETTER. It's about not settling and actually being objective on what he's capable/not capable of doing with this upcoming roster going forward.

When you have to truly worry about the backup QB position, you don't have a true starting QB.
mahomes *lost* the super bowl dude. That was my point. You have your super man QB right there *losing* when he doesn't have a good supporting cast. As for not being able to keep a defense together, welcome to the 21st century and the capanomics rules. You neither can keep a good offense *or* a good defensive team together.

As for Kyle saying what he said, well he said it didn't he? Versus the Jimmy haters who are reading the tea leaves in their cup after their morning tea. Personally I'd rather go with facts vs imaginary musings while looking at coffee grinds.

As for winning multiple super bowls, the Patriots did so - so this still possible. With Kyle I think the 49ers have a good shot at Multiple super bowls, as long as Kyle got the QB *he wants*. He's been to two of them at his young age before even Walsh had a shot at a semi-pro head coaching job. I think Jimmy haters just have to get used to the fact that Kyle may not like the kind of QB the Jimmy haters want. Oh well.
So you admit jimmy lost the SB?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Did mahomes beat Tom with crap Tackles? I'll take Kyles point of view over yours regarding Jimmy. Kyle thinks Jimmy can get better. I think so too.

Again its a team game, if Foels, brad Johnson, and Trent dilfer can win super bowls, then *average* Jimmy can too. It's going to be Kyles genius as to how to put a team together to get to that Lombardi game. Hes done it twice, basically. Once just on the offensive side, and the 2nd time he put a complete team together in three years from zero.

I don't see ShanaLynch trading or demoting Jimmy at this point. I get the feeling they have confidence in him to start. Its really the Backup QBs they are much more concerned about.

Three backup lineman heading into the Super bowl...AND even then Hill/Kelce and his other WRs dropped like 3 TDs and multiple 1st down conversions.

Why in the world would Kyle say anything other than that (regarding Jimmy)? There is NOT ONE single reason for him to say anything else...zero benefit.

Who gives a crap about Foles/Johnson/Dilfer lucking into winning one Super Bowl? I don't care about being lucky enough to win ONE. Go look around the teams that are constantly competing for a Super Bowl yr after yr...they have a top end QB....Winning Super bowls (plural) with an avg QB is NOT realistic . Jimmy had his shot in 2019 and f**king blew.

You can't keep together elite defenses (which was the main reason for that 2019 success), that takes a collection of players WHO will want to get paid. s**t SF only got one yr of that elite defense before having to move Buck. Now we have to figure out CB and DL.

It's not about demoting Jimmy, it's about finding someone BETTER. It's about not settling and actually being objective on what he's capable/not capable of doing with this upcoming roster going forward.

When you have to truly worry about the backup QB position, you don't have a true starting QB.
mahomes *lost* the super bowl dude. That was my point. You have your super man QB right there *losing* when he doesn't have a good supporting cast. As for not being able to keep a defense together, welcome to the 21st century and the capanomics rules. You neither can keep a good offense *or* a good defensive team together.

As for Kyle saying what he said, well he said it didn't he? Versus the Jimmy haters who are reading the tea leaves in their cup after their morning tea. Personally I'd rather go with facts vs imaginary musings while looking at coffee grinds.

As for winning multiple super bowls, the Patriots did so - so this still possible. With Kyle I think the 49ers have a good shot at Multiple super bowls, as long as Kyle got the QB *he wants*. He's been to two of them at his young age before even Walsh had a shot at a semi-pro head coaching job. I think Jimmy haters just have to get used to the fact that Kyle may not like the kind of QB the Jimmy haters want. Oh well.

Nope. The *team* did.

So Jimmy LOST the super bowl lol? is that what you're saying??

You simply don't value context because you're so hard up on Jimmy and can't be objective about it. Wild. it's impossible to have a decent convo in this thread. It's the same 10 people b***hing about the same crap back and forth lol. Nothing will change in this thread. It was the same s**t with Kap same s**t with Alex Smith rise and repeat.

Yes he said it, he was never gonna say anything different...Jimmy is the ONLY starting QB under contract. They said the same s**t about Buck until his was traded. THAT is a fact! Tell me what he gains from saying anything different? Throwing a player under the bus does what?

The Patriots had the GOAT at QB, which proves my point. They lost Brady and turned to s**t. You can get lucky and win a super Bowl with an avg QB that is surrounded by elite talent. Go look at those teams that Dilfer/Johnson/Flacco/Foles etc had...it's not sustainable dude. PLAYERS want to get paid and you can't pay them all, especially when you HAVE to pay that avg QB.

I NEVER said I hated Jimmy, please show me where I did?

My god, there's a reason I don't come in here ever....ya'll get so bent out of shape if someone isn't all in on Jimmy. You act like I just pissed in your cheerio's and can't handle a little objective criticism. He's not a top 10 NFL QB. He's just not. He's a fine starting QB that will win games under structure surrounded by top end talent. Guess what you can't pay a QB top end money and continue to have top end talent around him. Chances of Jimmy signing a extension are pretty slim for a reason.

f**king twilight zone in here smh.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Actually, it does make you a good three point shooter. That's how percentages work. Just because you aren't asked to do something more, doesn't mean you aren't good at it. At worst, you could say the sample size is too small to get an accurate evaluation. It isn't a big part of Kyle's offense, and they weren't in need of those types of throws often, so naturally he won't have a lot of deep shots attempted.

I also like how you left off the bolded:

Jimmy Garoppolo has an excellent grade on these plays, but he attempted just 31 deep shots all season — the fewest among full-time starting quarterbacks. Even Mason Rudolph, who only started eight games, had six more deep shots than Garoppolo did all year. The San Francisco quarterback also benefitted from Kyle Shanahan's scheme regularly presenting him with wide-open targets downfield, but to his credit, he hit them when called upon. He led the league in completion rate on these passes by over 10 percentage points and in adjusted completion rate by 20 percentage points.

Guess who was bottom of the league this yr....lol yup.

I left it out because it proves nothing...again that's like me saying I'm 3 for 4 shooting 3s on a full season of attempts. Stupid small sample size with little creditability on what I can do....and No that does NOT make you a good 3 point shooter, it's cherry picking a stat that YOU failed to provide real context.

We ALL watch the games, we see under throws, over throws, just because he makes a competition doesn't mean it was accurate. There were multiple deep ball throws that SHOULD have been touchdowns but were piss poor thrown balls where the receiver had to adjust and make a play. Happened to Sanders, it's happened with Goodwin, it's happened with Auyik etc.

No one is buying that junk stat.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 3, 2021 at 6:55 AM ]
I have never thought, nor implied that he is 'great' at throwing deep passes. I just think he isn't terrible and that his ability to throw the deep ball is good enough.

Here is a pretty good breakdown for 2019:

https://brickwallblitz.com/2020/02/21/the-2019-20-deep-ball-project-part-3-3/

EDIT: In my opinion, what matters is did his inability to consistently throw deep cost the team a ring? And the answer to that is no.
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Mar 3, 2021 at 7:09 AM ]
I have never thought, nor implied that he is 'great' at throwing deep passes. I just think he isn't terrible and that his ability to throw the deep ball is good enough.

Here is a pretty good breakdown for 2019:

https://brickwallblitz.com/2020/02/21/the-2019-20-deep-ball-project-part-3-3/

EDIT: In my opinion, what matters is did his inability to consistently throw deep cost the team a ring? And the answer to that is no.
Yet jgs money maker throw is what lost us the game
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Nope. The *team* did.

Nope, the refs did.

You mean the throw he had to get off early due to the pressure on him? Had McGlinchey not gotten beaten like a rented mule, Jimmy has a SB MVP.
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Mar 3, 2021 at 8:04 AM ]

You mean the throw he had to get off early due to the pressure on him? Had McGlinchey not gotten beaten like a rented mule, Jimmy has a SB MVP.
no, his money maker throws

jeez man...do you ever actually read what someone else posts?

NY writes you can't win SBs consistently with average QBs, then you write, tHe pAtS DiD iT!!!

and the cap doesn't stop you from having a good/great offense every team (sounds like you don't understand the cap at all). Pats did it for almost 15 years, Packers did it for the last 15 years, Saints since they got Brees, Steelers have been a solid offense for the last 10 years, Chargers all those years with Rivers, even SEA the past 4-5 years, and Chiefs are going to be the same. Hmmm...I wonder what all those teams have in common.

the cap doesn't stop you from putting together a good/great offense, as long as you have a good QB. QBs make an offense consistently good. there is not one position on defense that will almost guarantee that your defense is good every year.

so no, you can't keep an elite defense together for too long, the cap won't allow it. but you can for offense. this is why you've seen offenses be great for 10+ years. name me one defense that has been great for 10+ years during the salary cap era. you can't...there isn't one.

So Jimmy LOST the super bowl lol? is that what you're saying??

You simply don't value context because you're so hard up on Jimmy and can't be objective about it. Wild. it's impossible to have a decent convo in this thread. It's the same 10 people b***hing about the same crap back and forth lol. Nothing will change in this thread. It was the same s**t with Kap same s**t with Alex Smith rise and repeat.

Yes he said it, he was never gonna say anything different...Jimmy is the ONLY starting QB under contract. They said the same s**t about Buck until his was traded. THAT is a fact! Tell me what he gains from saying anything different? Throwing a player under the bus does what?

The Patriots had the GOAT at QB, which proves my point. They lost Brady and turned to s**t. You can get lucky and win a super Bowl with an avg QB that is surrounded by elite talent. Go look at those teams that Dilfer/Johnson/Flacco/Foles etc had...it's not sustainable dude. PLAYERS want to get paid and you can't pay them all, especially when you HAVE to pay that avg QB.

I NEVER said I hated Jimmy, please show me where I did?

My god, there's a reason I don't come in here ever....ya'll get so bent out of shape if someone isn't all in on Jimmy. You act like I just pissed in your cheerio's and can't handle a little objective criticism. He's not a top 10 NFL QB. He's just not. He's a fine starting QB that will win games under structure surrounded by top end talent. Guess what you can't pay a QB top end money and continue to have top end talent around him. Chances of Jimmy signing a extension are pretty slim for a reason.

f**king twilight zone in here smh.

Pot calling the kettle black

holy f**king excuse.

I can't in this thread...
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Pot calling the kettle black

Lol I have no idea what that means.

the Jimmy apologist are insane in here.

✌️
Should the 49ers move on from Jimmy Garoppolo?

The San Francisco 49ers have had their name attached to many high profile quarterbacks this offseason. It seems to be all that the local members of the media want to discuss. It's not hard to see why, headlines with quarterback names get clicks. In order to address whether or not the 49ers should move on, two questions must be answered. First question : can the 49ers upgrade the quarterback position while keeping the rest of their team intact? The second question is: how good is Jimmy Garoppolo?

Let's address the first question. Can the 49ers maintain a championship roster if they upgrade the quarterback position? The cost for obtaining the two biggest names on the trade block would be unprecedented. If teams are able to pry Deshaun Watson or Russel Wilson, it wouldn't be without a hefty cost. The minimum asking price is likely to be at least three 1st round picks and a franchise player. Players like Fred Warner, George Kittle or Nick Bosa could be involved in the trade if the 49ers choose to go this route.

Would it be worth the cost for either one of these players? Would either be enough to supplement the deficiencies on the roster that would be created from a huge trade. Take a look at their current situations and you will have your answer. Wilson consistently has his team in the playoffs, but they have not been in a conference title game since 2014. ,when Wilson was still playing on his rookie deal. As for Watson, he went 4-12 in 2020 with a bad roster. The Houston Texans made playoff appearances in 2018 and 2019 with better rosters ,when Watson was still on his rookie deal.

Can the 49ers remain in Super Bowl contention if they make the move for either one of these superstar quarterbacks? History indicates that it would be an uphill battle. An expensive and great quarterback can get a team to the playoffs, but teams with more well rounded rosters usually have the upperhand. If regular season success and a playoff appearance is the 49ers goal, they should pursue Watson or Wilson. If they want to win a Super Bowl, they should pass.

Now that the first question has been addressed, let's address the second question: how good is Jimmy Garoppolo? Can the 49ers do better without breaking their backs? If the answer were yes, they would have done it already. A healthy Garoppolo has an impressive resume. The problem is Garoppolo has only been available about half the time since taking over as the starting quarterback for the 49ers. He has been available in 25 out of the past 48 regular season games. Let's take a look at what a healthy Garoppolo has been able to accomplish since taking over as the 49ers quarterback.

The first thing that most 49ers fans will tell you about Garoppolo is that he is a winner. The 49ers win-loss record with Garoppolo and the win-loss record without Garoppolo certainly supports that. The 49ers are 24-9 with Garoppolo and 7-27 without him. Many will say that the quarterback wins are not a stat, but the evidence is overwhelming in this case. The 49ers have a much better chance to win when Garoppolo starts than when he doesn't.

Next, let's take a look at what Garoppolo accomplished in 2019 when he started all 16 regular season games. The 49ers had a win-loss record of 13-3, Garoppolo had 3,978 passing yards, 27 touchdown passes, had a passer rating of 102.0 and led the 49ers to a Super Bowl appearance . The only other 49ers quarterback to accomplish all of those things in a single season was Steve Young in 1994.

Finally, let's take a look at the health issue. Garoppolo tore an acl in week three of 2018 and sustained a high ankle sprain 2020. The ACL ended his season immediately. He played four games after the high ankle sprain, but it was clear he was not completely healthy when on the field. Garoppolo didn't suit up after week 8 of the 2020 season. The lack of availability has certainly been an issue.

What would be the wisest course of action for the 49ers to take at the quarterback position in 2021? They should stick with Garoppolo. The upside speaks for itself. The organization needs to give it one more shot. If the health issue comes up again, then it is time to move on in 2022. The 49ers should invest in quality back-up as an insurance plan, but need to give Garoppolo one more chance to prove he can stay healthy. Sticking with him will allow them to use their resources to improve the roster in other areas.

P.S. I omitted potential draft picks since the 49ers don't have a top 10 pick
^Will never get me to believe that spending slightly more money on an elite QB would hurt the roster more than spending $27M on an average starting QB.
Share 49ersWebzone