There are 333 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jiks:
Lol Bridgewater is the new flavor of the week I see. He was so stellar last year that he's allowed Panthers a great chance to draft his replacement.

Flavor of the week lol? Wut? I don't think you're gonna find many people that are gonna take him over Jimmy.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by dmax:
Originally posted by susweel:
Probably trying to trade Jimmy for teddy straight up. Then use teddy as bridge qb.

One could hope

Oh my goodness...

Who knows...it wouldn't be trading Teddy straight up for Jimmy. That makes no sense financially. The Panthers are pretty much done with Teddy as well.

Possibly move Jimmy to NE, get Teddy at half the price for a day 3 pick, and go get a top rookie.
Were the 49ers perhaps looking into Bridgewater as an option should a rookie quarterback fall to them in the draft? Person said that he spoke with another NFC team official and asked about the Bridgewater-49ers possibility.

"He said, 'I would think that would be if the 49ers were ready to draft somebody and then bring Bridgewater in,'" Person said. "Again, this certainly seemed to me like this was all still very preliminary. Let's not forget either ... that (Panthers head coach) Matt Rhule and (49ers assistant general manager) Adam Peters have a background and a history.

"Of course, Peters was here—at least virtually—interviewed for the Panthers GM job. That may have been where the conversation started. That may not have gone any farther than that. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Matt Rhule and Peters were on the phone talking, just sort of spitballing a little bit."

It's going to be Jimmy starting for the 49ers in 2021. That's becoming very clear. Talk of every QB in the league is a restructuring tactic.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jiks:
Lol Bridgewater is the new flavor of the week I see. He was so stellar last year that he's allowed Panthers a great chance to draft his replacement.

Flavor of the week lol? Wut? I don't think you're gonna find many people that are gonna take him over Jimmy.

In Niner talk you honestly never know lol

Lynch does.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't know, I think we saw a weakness in Mahomes' game and that is the inability to run the offense on time on a consistent basis. He turned into an ad-lib player who has the best outlet player (Kelce) and another great player in Hill to bail him out. Mahomes wasn't looking all that great against us in the SB. If that big blown coverage on the 3rd down play doesn't happen, Mahomes wasn't playing all that well whereas Jimmy was at that point.

It's easy to say player 1 is better than player 2 if player 1's team is the winning team. To me, Jimmy has elite throwing ability but in a different way. He just doesn't have that over the top strong arm that throws 35 yard lasers with ease. However, he has a throwing ability that Mahomes and other QBs don't have and that's the ability to make a throw in an instant with only an inch of space to throw. I think Aaron Rodgers is the only player that can throw like JG and like Mahomes.

Now, JG's only problem has been staying healthy for long enough to master his system. With his throwing ability, just wait until he gets to a point where he can adjust the primary receiver in the offense because he has mastered being able to read what the defense is showing him. IF JG can get to this level, with his throwing ability, it will be like playing catch. And there are not many defensive players that are able to jump on his ball quick enough because his release is so quick.
Really? I thought Jimmy was supposed to have mastered the offense in 2019. Did he forget it in 2020? If he doesn't know the offense after all the time he's spent with Kyle then he never will.

If your receiver runs the wrong route - do you blame the QB? You have Aiyuk a rookie in 2020 and Jimmy throwing to him, so not only the QB has to master the offense, the receivers do too. It's a team game. Give Jimmy Tyreek Hill, I'm betting Jimmy's outside the Hashmark throws improve.
Originally posted by Giedi:
If your receiver runs the wrong route - do you blame the QB? You have Aiyuk a rookie in 2020 and Jimmy throwing to him, so not only the QB has to master the offense, the receivers do too. It's a team game. Give Jimmy Tyreek Hill, I'm betting Jimmy's outside the Hashmark throws improve.

did Sanders run the "wrong route"? Nah dude he's simply not good at throwing downfield and outside the numbers...there are only 32 starting QBs in the world and over half of them aren't great either. He's an avg starting QB in the league, which isn't awful just shouldn't be the end game.
did Sanders run the "wrong route"? Nah dude he's simply not good at throwing downfield and outside the numbers...there are only 32 starting QBs in the world and over half of them aren't great either. He's an avg starting QB in the league, which isn't awful just shouldn't be the end game.

For 2019 season:

[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Mar 3, 2021 at 4:36 AM ]
I don't know, I think we saw a weakness in Mahomes' game and that is the inability to run the offense on time on a consistent basis. He turned into an ad-lib player who has the best outlet player (Kelce) and another great player in Hill to bail him out. Mahomes wasn't looking all that great against us in the SB. If that big blown coverage on the 3rd down play doesn't happen, Mahomes wasn't playing all that well whereas Jimmy was at that point.

It's easy to say player 1 is better than player 2 if player 1's team is the winning team. To me, Jimmy has elite throwing ability but in a different way. He just doesn't have that over the top strong arm that throws 35 yard lasers with ease. However, he has a throwing ability that Mahomes and other QBs don't have and that's the ability to make a throw in an instant with only an inch of space to throw. I think Aaron Rodgers is the only player that can throw like JG and like Mahomes.

Now, JG's only problem has been staying healthy for long enough to master his system. With his throwing ability, just wait until he gets to a point where he can adjust the primary receiver in the offense because he has mastered being able to read what the defense is showing him. IF JG can get to this level, with his throwing ability, it will be like playing catch. And there are not many defensive players that are able to jump on his ball quick enough because his release is so quick.
Really? I thought Jimmy was supposed to have mastered the offense in 2019. Did he forget it in 2020? If he doesn't know the offense after all the time he's spent with Kyle then he never will.

Look at Alex smith before KC and after. In KC he was the Best rated qb in the league as well as ridiculously good on deeper throws. Something he has never been close to with the niners and their inferior weapons. Jimmy has never been good at throwing deeper (not including his 20 yard or so throws, I'm talking deep shots mainly outside the numbers) People are straight up in denial. Of course Jimmy would perform on another level in KCs offense.

saying this....I still want a better qb but we can win a SB with him if our D and offense is top 10 (currently we are both) without a bunch of injuries
[ Edited by elguapo on Mar 3, 2021 at 4:47 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Did mahomes beat Tom with crap Tackles? I'll take Kyles point of view over yours regarding Jimmy. Kyle thinks Jimmy can get better. I think so too.

Again its a team game, if Foels, brad Johnson, and Trent dilfer can win super bowls, then *average* Jimmy can too. It's going to be Kyles genius as to how to put a team together to get to that Lombardi game. Hes done it twice, basically. Once just on the offensive side, and the 2nd time he put a complete team together in three years from zero.

I don't see ShanaLynch trading or demoting Jimmy at this point. I get the feeling they have confidence in him to start. Its really the Backup QBs they are much more concerned about.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
For 2019 season:

Not sure how many times we gotta go through this meaningless stat in here....

Jimmy Garoppolo, San Francisco 49ers 61.3% completion percentage, 21.0 yards per attempt, 105.2 Passer Rating Jimmy Garoppolo has an excellent grade on these plays, but he attempted just 31 deep shots all season — the fewest among full-time starting quarterbacks. Even Mason Rudolph, who only started eight games, had six more deep shots than Garoppolo did all year. The San Francisco quarterback also benefitted from Kyle Shanahan's scheme regularly presenting him with wide-open targets downfield.

If I attempt 4 three pointers all year and compete 3 of them, I'm completing 75% of my threes...that does NOT make me a good three point shooter. We watch the games.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:

Look at Alex smith before KC and after. In KC he was the Best rated qb in the league as well as ridiculously good on deeper throws. Something he has never been close to with the niners and their inferior weapons. Jimmy has never been good at throwing deeper (not including his 20 yard or so throws, I'm talking deep shots mainly outside the numbers) People are straight up in denial. Of course Jimmy would perform on another level in KCs offense.

saying this....I still want a better qb but we can win a SB with him if our D and offense is top 10 (currently we are both) without a bunch of injuries

In 2019, Jimmy had the highest pass completions 20+ yards. (See aj49erfan77's post) That says to me the Jimmy haters are dead wrong about Jimmys long ball and outside the hashmark points ov view. Give Jimmy a good OLine, a good defense and top of the line pass catchers and this could be a very good team in 2021.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
For 2019 season:

Not sure how many times we gotta go through this meaningless stat in here....

Jimmy Garoppolo, San Francisco 49ers 61.3% completion percentage, 21.0 yards per attempt, 105.2 Passer Rating Jimmy Garoppolo has an excellent grade on these plays, but he attempted just 31 deep shots all season — the fewest among full-time starting quarterbacks. Even Mason Rudolph, who only started eight games, had six more deep shots than Garoppolo did all year. The San Francisco quarterback also benefitted from Kyle Shanahan's scheme regularly presenting him with wide-open targets downfield.

If I attempt 4 three pointers all year and compete 3 of them, I'm completing 75% of my threes...that does NOT make me a good three point shooter. We watch the games.

If your game is the short passing game and you win 13 games in an NFL season why throw long? If you are road grading teams on the ground, why bother throwing?

The comeback is of course *Mahomes* and Jimmy overthrowing Sanders. Keep in mind he threw a slant that was knocked down because the OLineman let penetration in. Yeah the supporters of Jimmy watch the game too.
Did mahomes beat Tom with crap Tackles? I'll take Kyles point of view over yours regarding Jimmy. Kyle thinks Jimmy can get better. I think so too.

Again its a team game, if Foels, brad Johnson, and Trent dilfer can win super bowls, then *average* Jimmy can too. It's going to be Kyles genius as to how to put a team together to get to that Lombardi game. Hes done it twice, basically. Once just on the offensive side, and the 2nd time he put a complete team together in three years from zero.

I don't see ShanaLynch trading or demoting Jimmy at this point. I get the feeling they have confidence in him to start. Its really the Backup QBs they are much more concerned about.

Three backup lineman heading into the Super bowl...AND even then Hill/Kelce and his other WRs dropped like 3 TDs and multiple 1st down conversions.

Why in the world would Kyle say anything other than that (regarding Jimmy)? There is NOT ONE single reason for him to say anything else...zero benefit.

Who gives a crap about Foles/Johnson/Dilfer lucking into winning one Super Bowl? I don't care about being lucky enough to win ONE. Go look around the teams that are constantly competing for a Super Bowl yr after yr...they have a top end QB....Winning Super bowls (plural) with an avg QB is NOT realistic . Jimmy had his shot in 2019 and f**king blew.

You can't keep together elite defenses (which was the main reason for that 2019 success), that takes a collection of players WHO will want to get paid. s**t SF only got one yr of that elite defense before having to move Buck. Now we have to figure out CB and DL.

It's not about demoting Jimmy, it's about finding someone BETTER. It's about not settling and actually being objective on what he's capable/not capable of doing with this upcoming roster going forward.

When you have to truly worry about the backup QB position, you don't have a true starting QB.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 3, 2021 at 5:38 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Three backup lineman heading into the Super bowl...AND even then Hill/Kelce and his other WRs dropped like 3 TDs and multiple 1st down conversions.

Why in the world would Kyle say anything other than that (regarding Jimmy)? There is NOT ONE single reason for him to say anything else...zero benefit.

Who gives a crap about Foles/Johnson/Dilfer lucking into winning one Super Bowl? I don't care about being lucky enough to win ONE. Go look around the teams that are constantly competing for a Super Bowl yr after yr...they have a top end QB....Winning Super bowls (plural) with an avg QB is NOT realistic . Jimmy had his shot in 2019 and f**king blew.

You can't keep together elite defenses (which was the main reason for that 2019 success), that takes a collection of players WHO will want to get paid. s**t SF only got one yr of that elite defense before having to move Buck. Now we have to figure out CB and DL.

It's not about demoting Jimmy, it's about finding someone BETTER. It's about not settling and actually being objective on what he's capable/not capable of doing with this upcoming roster going forward.

When you have to truly worry about the backup QB position, you don't have a true starting QB.
mahomes *lost* the super bowl dude. That was my point. You have your super man QB right there *losing* when he doesn't have a good supporting cast. As for not being able to keep a defense together, welcome to the 21st century and the capanomics rules. You neither can keep a good offense *or* a good defensive team together.

As for Kyle saying what he said, well he said it didn't he? Versus the Jimmy haters who are reading the tea leaves in their cup after their morning tea. Personally I'd rather go with facts vs imaginary musings while looking at coffee grinds.

As for winning multiple super bowls, the Patriots did so - so this still possible. With Kyle I think the 49ers have a good shot at Multiple super bowls, as long as Kyle got the QB *he wants*. He's been to two of them at his young age before even Walsh had a shot at a semi-pro head coaching job. I think Jimmy haters just have to get used to the fact that Kyle may not like the kind of QB the Jimmy haters want. Oh well.

Actually, it does make you a good three point shooter. That's how percentages work. Just because you aren't asked to do something more, doesn't mean you aren't good at it. At worst, you could say the sample size is too small to get an accurate evaluation. It isn't a big part of Kyle's offense, and they weren't in need of those types of throws often, so naturally he won't have a lot of deep shots attempted.

I also like how you left off the bolded:

Jimmy Garoppolo has an excellent grade on these plays, but he attempted just 31 deep shots all season — the fewest among full-time starting quarterbacks. Even Mason Rudolph, who only started eight games, had six more deep shots than Garoppolo did all year. The San Francisco quarterback also benefitted from Kyle Shanahan's scheme regularly presenting him with wide-open targets downfield, but to his credit, he hit them when called upon. He led the league in completion rate on these passes by over 10 percentage points and in adjusted completion rate by 20 percentage points.
Share 49ersWebzone