LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 154 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by eastie:
We need interior o-line and cb help much more than we need an upgrade at qb. An upgrade on the interior of the o-line will benefit the QB and improve his play. CB is in need of bodies as well. All this talk of giving away the farm to get a QB is not taking into account the impact on the teams other groupings.
Don't let fear stop you from getting better, even at QB
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 19, 2021 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by Poldarn49:
$2.8M dead money for Jimmy.
$21M guaranteed salary for Cousins. Also, his 2022 salary ($35m) will become guaranteed the 3rd day of the season (depending on exactly how his contact is worded, is it tied to being on the Viking's roster or any NFL roster). It is an extra $20m dead money for the Vikings, though, and they are $12m in the read already.

Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Anyone know what the specific economics would be of a Garropolo for Cousins trade?

Yeah so essentially that's not happening
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Wonder when they get a answer on what the actual cap will be for 2021?

So we can keep Juice ,

Extra $5M lol...let's go!
We need interior o-line and cb help much more than we need an upgrade at qb. An upgrade on the interior of the o-line will benefit the QB and improve his play. CB is in need of bodies as well. All this talk of giving away the farm to get a QB is not taking into account the impact on the teams other groupings.

When you have an opportunity to upgrade at the most important position in sports that takes precedents over anything.
Originally posted by Niners418:
Originally posted by Misfit_Niner540:
Originally posted by 49ERnation:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Same.

I hope they draft a QB higher than the 2nd round.
agree, any QB lower than the first round is a waste of a pick.

Kyle trask top of the third round
waste of a pick. If we stick with JG and don't draft a QB in the first, we should keep Rosen and look at UDFA QBs. use the rest of the picks on BPA

"If we don't get a QB in the first round then I don't want one at all! "

Lol. Terrible thought.
The Jimmy situation is very simple for the people with common sense. If there's a clear upgrade......we need to try to make it happen. If we can get Watson, do it. If you can get Stafford, do it. Other than that....I don't see a realistic veteran option who's 1: a definite upgrade and 2: is a big enough upgrade to trade picks for.
If Fields or Lance both who have significant upside are available at 12....definitely consider it and have them sit behind Jimmy to start. Otherwise, the best option for this team is to draft an impact player at 12, draft a QB to develop behind Jimmy in the 2nd or 3rd, and run it back with hopefully more health.

So Matthew Stafford is a clear upgrade over Garoppolo? If so, we have very differing opinions of what common sense.
Your last paragraph is on point without the variables.
[ Edited by Misfit_Niner540 on Jan 19, 2021 at 9:39 AM ]

When you have an opportunity to upgrade at the most important position in sports that takes precedents over anything.

that's dead end thinking. Invest all your money in the engine while the tires are bald and the brakes are mushy. You'll be on the road to nowhere with that thinking.
that's dead end thinking. Invest all your money in the engine while the tires are bald and the brakes are mushy. You'll be on the road to nowhere with that thinking.

Currently you have a trailer with no wheels holding you down right now (Jimmy and a bloated contract) cut the trailer off, sell it, and use that cash to get better wheels. Upgrading the QB position improves everything about the "car" as well.

It's not one or the other, not sure why people think like that?
So Matthew Stafford is a clear upgrade over Garoppolo? If so, we have very differing opinions of what common sense.

Wait you think Jimmy is better than Stafford?? Sarcasm?

Fear? What the hell are you talking about??? Maybe it's you who's afraid of logic and commonsense when combined?

Completely agree - this is right on point. Having a healthy Garoppolo back along with an upgraded interior OL is what this team needs on offense as we've seen what a healthy Garoppolo can do. No way do you give up three 1sts (and maybe another pick) when you have Garoppolo along with the talent this team has on both sides of the ball. It's not just "plug 'n play", where you just insert a QB like Watson, who we all know is very talented, and automatically expect everything will be that much better. It just doesn't automatically work that way. Then you factor in the team chemistry part, which you can't overlook as Garoppolo is a respected team leader who is proven, one who has helped lead this team to a half quarter away from being World Champions.

This along with giving away key picks that would otherwise help this team build for the future for sustained success (and I don't care if those 1sts are late 1st Rd. picks) are main reasons why I hope they don't do something like this and instead have Garoppolo back as QB1.

Maybe I've watched too much of Garoppolo as I've seen his games as Niners QB multiple times (including the tough losses & the SB, which I could only re-watch two times). Maybe this has clouded my judgement. I just know what I see and I like what I see in running this offense, leading this team, and being a respected team leader. And I feel only starting 35 total games allows for him to definitely have room for improvement.

Really hoping Shanahan & Lynch see it this way regarding Garoppolo but we'll see.

Ah yes, master manipulator at it again! Please show me where I said that. I didn't... even if I do believe it, it wasn't put in writing.
I can however, quote, bold and add italics where you think Stafford is a "clear" upgrade over Jimmy and to understand that is merely "common sense".

We can compare stats and playoff wins (or lack thereof for one of em) all day long but I'll leave you with just two.

Career completion %
Garoppolo- 67.4
Stafford- 62.6

Career passer rating
Garoppolo- 98.9
Stafford- 89.9

Also remember Jimmy doesn't have a Calvin and he probably never will. But go ahead and convince me some more on why QB is our most pressing issue.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Completely agree - this is right on point. Having a healthy Garoppolo back along with an upgraded interior OL is what this team needs on offense as we've seen what a healthy Garoppolo can do. No way do you give up three 1sts (and maybe another pick) when you have Garoppolo along with the talent this team has on both sides of the ball. It's not just "plug 'n play", where you just insert a QB like Watson, who we all know is very talented, and automatically expect everything will be that much better. It just doesn't automatically work that way. Then you factor in the team chemistry part, which you can't overlook as Garoppolo is a respected team leader who is proven, one who has helped lead this team to a half quarter away from being World Champions.

This along with giving away key picks that would otherwise help this team build for the future for sustained success (and I don't care if those 1sts are late 1st Rd. picks) are main reasons why I hope they don't do something like this and instead have Garoppolo back as QB1.

Maybe I've watched too much of Garoppolo as I've seen his games as Niners QB multiple times (including the tough losses & the SB, which I could only re-watch two times). Maybe this has clouded my judgement. I just know what I see and I like what I see in running this offense, leading this team, and being a respected team leader. And I feel only starting 35 total games allows for him to definitely have room for improvement.

Really hoping Shanahan & Lynch see it this way regarding Garoppolo but we'll see.

YES! f**k YES to all of this.

Currently you have a trailer with no wheels holding you down right now (Jimmy and a bloated contract) cut the trailer off, sell it, and use that cash to get better wheels. Upgrading the QB position improves everything about the "car" as well.

It's not one or the other, not sure why people think like that?

The contract isn't 'bloated'. it's in line with the going rate for QB's. Not sure why people think that a change at qb is going to make the team 'better'. We have a very good qb already, We don't have a very good interior line (pass protection). Fix that and the QB play will improve instantly! Fix the secondary ( lost players) and the TEAM will be much better overall. Lose the Qb and replace him with a draftee that costs the TEAM it's future just in the hope that the rookie QB will transform the team into the winner that it already is? LOL.

Fear? What the hell are you talking about??? Maybe it's you who's afraid of logic and commonsense when combined?
yes.. giving the farm away is fear talk.

Logic has shown giving up picks to land at the #2 or 3 spot in the draft or giving up picks for watson will not hurt us moving forward but make us better future wise.

Ah yes, master manipulator at it again! Please show me where I said that. I didn't... even if I do believe it, it wasn't put in writing.
I can however, quote, bold and add italics where you think Stafford is a "clear" upgrade over Jimmy and to understand that is merely "common sense".

We can compare stats and playoff wins (or lack thereof for one of em) all day long but I'll leave you with just two.

Career completion %
Garoppolo- 67.4
Stafford- 62.6

Career passer rating
Garoppolo- 98.9
Stafford- 89.9

Also remember Jimmy doesn't have a Calvin and he probably never will. But go ahead and convince me some more on why QB is our most pressing issue.

Joe Montana career passer rating 92.3. Go ahead try and convince me Joe Montana is better than Jimmy G
Share 49ersWebzone